aszy

Just ran out of room. Wheezy 4G SD

Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:50 pm

Good day all. New to the Rpi. Up and running on the supplied 4G Wheezy. Ran apt-get update and then apt-get upgrade, which failed due to running out of room ( Geez! Wolfram is HUGE ). What I want to learn how to do is this: Take my 4G SD card and copy it to a 8G SD card with more storage space in the correct / partition. I am assuming that if I just make an image of the current 4G card and then move that to the 8G, nothing will change and I'll have 4G or so of wasted space. So, I need to grow the partition I'm guessing. Is this not for the faint of heart?
Thanks in advance - and if this is not the correct section of the forum, I apologize and will gladly move it.

A

fruitoftheloom

Re: Just ran out of room. Wheezy 4G SD

Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:48 pm

aszy wrote:Good day all. New to the Rpi. Up and running on the supplied 4G Wheezy. Ran apt-get update and then apt-get upgrade, which failed due to running out of room ( Geez! Wolfram is HUGE ). What I want to learn how to do is this: Take my 4G SD card and copy it to a 8G SD card with more storage space in the correct / partition. I am assuming that if I just make an image of the current 4G card and then move that to the 8G, nothing will change and I'll have 4G or so of wasted space. So, I need to grow the partition I'm guessing. Is this not for the faint of heart?
Thanks in advance - and if this is not the correct section of the forum, I apologize and will gladly move it.

A
Was this a Standalone Install or did you use NOOBS :?:
Retired disgracefully.....

aszy

Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:43 am

I did not use NOOBS. There was a Raspbian complete OS on a 4 Gig SD card. How would that matter? In any event, the 4 Gig SD card is too small for a completely updated and upgraded Raspian install. I am not going to be the only one out here that is going to run into this problem. A

Joe Schmoe

Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:51 am

There are basically two answers to your query:
  1. 4G has always been "too small" in a practical sense, and now that we've entered the brave new world, it is literally too small. So, yes, the best advice is to get a 8G card and start over.
  2. If you are using a "raw image" (i.e., not NOOBS), then you need to do the "expand partition" dance. Now, this used to be a hairy, scary manual process, but, in Raspbian, at least, it is now "systemized" as an option in the "raspi-config" program, so it is pretty easy (just select that option and, voila! it is done for you). Note, incidentally, that if you try out the Ubuntu Mate image (which is really kewl, BTW), then you will need to revert to the "hairy, scary manual" process.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

JarJarGeek

Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:04 pm

I have made a 'Jessie Light' .img to fit on a 4GB card ; I removed LibreOffice and Wolfram as these are packages not much used (by myself) on a Pi. I uploaded a zipped package to Google Drive for those who feel adventurous - tested on a model B rev2 working great. If anyone needs / wants the 4GB version get it here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_oZp ... VdpOWhOekE
@jarjargeek

syntax-err0r.com

Return to “Raspbian”