rolgiati

Network config(s)

Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:22 pm

Is there hidden somewhere a tool to configure the various network interfaces, both wired and wi-fi ?
If possible, GUI rather than CLI !

ejsolutions

Re: Network config(s)

Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:27 pm

sudo apt-get install wicd
[Not hidden - it's mentioned elsewhere on the forum, though information is getting increasingly disjointed. ;)]
Note: network-manager is also an option, though LAN is relatively easy to configure in CLI and wicd seems more efficient at wireless, in my experience.

rolgiati

Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:57 pm

ejsolutions wrote:sudo apt-get install wicd
Note: network-manager is also an option, though LAN is relatively easy to configure in CLI and wicd seems more efficient at wireless, in my experience.
Of course apt-get needs the wifi to run before it can download wicd, and wicd is needed to config the wifi...
Is there somewhere a HowTo explaining the CLI wifi config ?
More generally, should we agitate for the inclusion of config tools in the next release of Raspbian ? Cause without easy-to-use tools (like MCC in Mandrake/Mandriva/Mageia) I fear it will remain a distribution for geeks.

ejsolutions

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:07 pm

rolgiati wrote:... I fear it will remain a distribution for geeks.
As will the Pi in its' current incarnation, given the fiasco of faulty/ill-conceived USB and PSU pickiness.
[I had made an enquiry/suggestion some time back, as to whether wicd/network-manager should be included by default.]

rolgiati

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:51 pm

ejsolutions wrote:
rolgiati wrote:... I fear it will remain a distribution for geeks.
As will the Pi in its' current incarnation, given the fiasco of faulty/ill-conceived USB and PSU pickiness.
Well, I seem to be in luck with a Blue Proton BT3 (Realtek 8187) Wifi dongle, ifconfig shows wlan0 after booting.
Now, If I could find the instructions for setting the fixed IP address and DNS, and the WPA password...

reyalp

Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:02 pm

rolgiati wrote: Now, If I could find the instructions for setting the fixed IP address and DNS, and the WPA password...
The normal Debian documentation applies, see http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse for example.

If you want to configure WPA without additional tools, you can do it in /etc/network/interfaces. Try 'man interfaces' on the pi.

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”