Popiman

ASUS USB-N10 WiFi Adapter

Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:24 pm

Hi
Am I right in thinking that Raspbian Wheezy contains all the support required (drivers etc.) for the ASUS USB-N10 wifi adapter ?
Does this mean that when the adapter is plugged into one of the RPi's two USB ports it will be found at boot up and be ready to work with a third party wireless router automatically ?
How is the router's password supplies to the RPi to allow it access to the WWW ?
Thanks.

Popiman

Re: ASUS USB-N10 WiFi Adapter

Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:27 pm

Hi All
Got it working - here's how:
1. Download staging driver kernel module for ASUS USB-N10 adapter from Raspberry Pi wifi adapter test page.
2. Unzip it. It appears to unzip to correct location for use by system.
3. Install kernel module using "modprobe r8712u" command at command prompt.
4. Check it's loaded using "lsmod | grep r8712u" - any output means it is.
5. Append the following to the /etc/network/interfaces file:
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid YOUR SSID HERE
wpa-psk YOUR PASSWORD HERE
Your ssid and password should be located on the wireless router you are trying to connect to.

bob_binz

Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:56 pm

Popiman wrote:Hi All
1. Download staging driver kernel module for ASUS USB-N10 adapter from Raspberry Pi wifi adapter test page.
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid YOUR SSID HERE
Your ssid and password should be located on the wireless router you are trying to connect to.
You can also add r8712u to the end of /etc/modules too, so it loads at startup.

deadlydude

Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:29 pm

Where exactly is the "Raspberry Pi wifi adapter test page." where I can download the kernel module for ASUS USB-N10 adapter ?

Thanks

bob_binz

Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:02 pm

deadlydude wrote:Where exactly is the "Raspberry Pi wifi adapter test page." where I can download the kernel module for ASUS USB-N10 adapter ?

Thanks
Possibly here:

http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeriphera ... i_Adapters

deadlydude

Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:25 am

Thanks! I'm up!
:)

Montala

Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:50 pm

I have just ordered one of these, and am delighted to have found this particular thread!

Being very much a Linux 'noob' though, I am not too sure how to carry out Step 5 where I have to edit a particular file... or to add that bit to the end of another one too, although I suppose the process is practically the same!

Sorry for the very basic question... and there may well indeed be more to come! ;)

Edit: Here's one already... on the above mentioned 'wiki' page, it does say that the driver is "not needed with latest Raspbian “wheezy” 2012-07-15: this Asus works N10 out of the box"... so is it still necessary to download the file first, as I do plan to use the latest official Foundation Raspbian Image?

bob_binz

Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:59 pm

Montala wrote:I have just ordered one of these, and am delighted to have found this particular thread!

Being very much a Linux 'noob' though, I am not too sure how to carry out Step 5 where I have to edit a particular file... or to add that bit to the end of another one too, although I suppose the process is practically the same!

Sorry for the very basic question... and there may well indeed be more to come! ;)

Edit: Here's one already... on the above mentioned 'wiki' page, it does say that "not needed with latest Raspbian “wheezy” 2012-07-15: this Asus works N10 out of the box"... so is it still necessary to download the file first, as I do plan to use the latest official Foundation Raspbian Image?
As ususal, millions of ways to skin the proverbial cat. I would suggest using nano. From the command prompt:

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
and add the suggested info. To exit, Ctrl-X, choose yes to save, press return. Then reboot or restart networking:

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

Montala

Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:20 pm

Thanks Bob... but in view of my second question (after 'Edit') is it still necessary to download the driver kernel module anyway?... which is actually the same question which was asked in the first post of this thread!

I have already tried (without success) to use a small Edimax wifi dongle, so I am hoping to have better luck with an Asus one!

blueiceman

Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:30 am

hi, i have a problem with step 5. couldn't edit the etc/network/interfaces. it says permission denied.
i tried the following:
1) manually navigate through the system to find the file and edit it
2) nano etc/network/interfaces

both methods failed. is there any way to gain more access to the system to get the permission to make changes?

pls help. thanks.

Montala

Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:38 pm

blueiceman wrote:hi, i have a problem with step 5. couldn't edit the etc/network/interfaces. it says permission denied.
i tried the following:
1) manually navigate through the system to find the file and edit it
2) nano etc/network/interfaces

both methods failed. is there any way to gain more access to the system to get the permission to make changes?

pls help. thanks.
You need to add 'sudo' before the word nano, as shown in the post before my last one.

You should then be able to access the file OK!

jarrodr

Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:32 pm

So I've followed Popiman and bob_binz steps.

But my wifi dongle doesn't work, I've tested by removing the ethernet cable and pinging google... nothing.

Could it be that:
1. entering "lsmod ~ grep r8712u" didn't work, although I saw a result of "Usage: lsmod"

or

2. Since my ssid name is 2 words, example "wpa-ssid Looky Here"

What could be wrong guys?

BTW the | symbol on the keyboard looks like ~ on linux, sorry I'm a total Linux noob.

makernz

Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:50 am

Hey guys

Just came across this topic, and it worked flawlessly for my ASUS USB-N10!

So easy to do and install! Thanks to MrEngman

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... =26&t=6256

Montala

Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:16 am

makernz wrote:Hey guys

As I have already mentioned in the other thread where you posted a similar statement, your comment does puzzle me slightl,y as according to MrEngman "... you'll need to find the right driver, as the N10 driver is different to the one used with the Edimax. 8192SU rather than the 8192CU used with rthe rtl8188cus devices."
The correct driver does however appear to be 'built in' to the latest Raspbian "Wheezy" image!

bob_binz

Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:35 pm

jarrodr wrote:So I've followed Popiman and bob_binz steps.

But my wifi dongle doesn't work, I've tested by removing the ethernet cable and pinging google... nothing.

Could it be that:
1. entering "lsmod ~ grep r8712u" didn't work, although I saw a result of "Usage: lsmod"

or

2. Since my ssid name is 2 words, example "wpa-ssid Looky Here"

What could be wrong guys?

BTW the | symbol on the keyboard looks like ~ on linux, sorry I'm a total Linux noob.
For 1. You need to set your keyboard locale correctly. If you're running the foundation raspbian, i think you can do that by running raspi-config. The | symbol is called 'pipe' and it passes the output of one operation as input to another operation. So what you're doing is running lsmod, then using grep to find relevant output. In summary, you must use | and not ~.

For 2. You may need put your id in quote marks (not sure of single or double, or even if that's the problem)

Montala

Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:04 pm

jarrodr wrote:BTW the | symbol on the keyboard looks like ~ on linux, sorry I'm a total Linux noob.
Just clarify this point, as you are in the UK and using a UK keyboard, you shouldn't actually have to set the locale at all.

The symbol you require is probably down in the left hand corner of your keyboard, on the same key as "\" so it requires you to press the 'Shift' key to obtain it.

You should then see the "|" symbol, but if you don't then you will probably have to set your keyboard locale as described above... but I didn't have to!

jarrodr

Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:28 pm

Thanks guys, got it to work using "putty" from windows.

used this link http://alexcollins.org/blog/2012/raspbe ... ifi-dongle.

Now I'm having a hard time getting it to work with RaspBMC. Being using http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=780. Anyone got this working?

(And thanks again)

Montala

Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:51 pm

jarrodr wrote:Thanks guys, got it to work using "putty" from windows.

used this link http://alexcollins.org/blog/2012/raspbe ... ifi-dongle.
The page to which you linked was actually written in early June, and this procedure is not necessary if you are using the latest Raspbian "wheezy" image.

When you insert the USB-N10, the kernel should recognize the device and load both r8712u driver and firmware for it.

makernz

Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:01 am

Montala wrote:
makernz wrote:Hey guys

As I have already mentioned in the other thread where you posted a similar statement, your comment does puzzle me slightl,y as according to MrEngman "... you'll need to find the right driver, as the N10 driver is different to the one used with the Edimax. 8192SU rather than the 8192CU used with rthe rtl8188cus devices."
The correct driver does however appear to be 'built in' to the latest Raspbian "Wheezy" image!
Hey Montala

I know that the USB-N10 uses a Realtek RTL8188SU and the instructions listed are for devices with Realtek RTL8188CUS, however I thought I would give it a shot and try my luck, and to my pleasant surprise it worked like a charm.

This is the process I went through:

- Wrote a fresh image of Raspbian "Wheezy" to my SD card
- Copied the .sh file from MrEngman's topic to the root of my SD card
- Had my Pi connected to LAN
- Inserted SD card and booted device
- Followed the instructions by MrEngman and voilla!
- Each time I start up my Pi now, in the startup script just before login it configures the wireless adapter

Any questions let me know

marosg

Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:20 pm

I have some problems with this adapter. Everything worked as expected from begining, but after some time (10 mins, 30 mins, 2 hours, varies) it goes down. There is nothing in logs, only that ifplugd detected the beam was off so it shut down the interface. I forced ifplugd to ignore it but I see the link really goes down, I have to manually ifdown/ifup.

I tried to play with various parameters but most of them are not allowed by driver to change.
Could somebody who uses this adapter please post here output of "iwconfig" ?

I also tried wavemon, link quality is all the time 100/100 but it is red. signal level (also red) is 19dBm(75mW) which is very strange compared to my notebook which says -45dBm(0.03nW)

Thank you

Montala

Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:09 pm

Right, I finally got this working this morning... without having to download any drivers or use any scripts!

I was 'running' Raspbian "wheezy", updated and upgraded, which appeared to contain all the necessary drivers etc.

Not being a fan of command line file editing, I configured the N10 for my network using the 'wicd' utility (sudo apt-get install wicd) and then running wicd-gtk which opens up a nice GUI app.

If anyone is interested in any more details, then I will be pleased to try and provide them!

Our broadband download speed is pretty slow anyway (only about 1.5Mb/s) but I was pleasantly surprised at the speed at which pages were being displayed in Midori over the wireless connection.

biwa7636

Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:25 pm

Dear Montala,
I am very glad to hear that the driver for Asus N10 is embedded in wheesy and if possible, could you please share more information with us of how to set up this module?
Newbie to Linux and any detail is appreciated.

Montala

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:16 pm

biwa7636 wrote:Dear Montala,
I am very glad to hear that the driver for Asus N10 is embedded in wheesy and if possible, could you please share more information with us of how to set up this module?
Newbie to Linux and any detail is appreciated.
Sorry for the delay in replying, but I have been having a few days break.

My plan is to burn a new Raspbian "wheezy" image and then work through the entire process, documenting each step, and adding comments as I progress... and keeping it all nice and simple, so that even I can understand it!

It won't happen straight away though, as I have a few other things to attend to first!

GizmoPaul

Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:26 pm

Bought one Friday (AUD$19 @ MSY) noting Linux support but had not checked here. On boot up watched it get installed as wlan0 and followed the instructions for editing /etc/network/interfaces, done and working well.

4d1l

Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:44 pm

Popiman wrote:Hi All
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid YOUR SSID HERE
Hi can you tell me where the actual path it extracts to in step 2. For some reason the extraction path goes to

/home/pi

Return to “Raspbian”