JarJarGeek

Creating a 4Gb 'Jessie Light' for model B

Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:31 am

First of all it needs to be said ; I am NOT a 'code ninja' - I'm learning 'on the job' - still :shock:
The release of Jessie is brilliant news BUT we need a distro that fits on a 4Gb card / model B of which there are plenty about in clubs and schools. I went about making 'Jessie Light' the hard way so any input on streamlining the process is most welcome. I tried at first removing Wolfram / Sonic-Pi / MineCraftPi from an existing Wheezy card to free up enough space for upgrade (apt-get purge & clean etc). This freed sufficient space ; 800Mb BUT upgrade process went on for days :o before finally crashing.
So plan B+ was to use a full fresh Jessie / 8Gb , slim it down - again with apt-get purge and extract to smaller card. So after booting 8Gb card - removing 'weighty packages' I backed the card / .img on my Mac with http://www.tweaking4all.com/hardware/ra ... -pi-baker/ (brilliant) and set about slimming card. Using Linux in Virtualbox; I then used GParted to resize partition on card so it came to about 3.5Gb with boot partition inclusive. After another backup of this card it was then just a matter of using 'dd bs' to write 'Jessie Light' to 4Gb card:

sudo dd bs=4M if=/dev/rdisk4 of=/Desktop/Jessie.img count=1024

First boot was a bit nerve racking , but seeing my model B fly in to desktop in less than 40 seconds was very satisfying - more testing to come but the short'nsweet message is ; Move over Wheezy - there's a new sheriff in town :D
@jarjargeek

syntax-err0r.com

fruitoftheloom

Re: Creating a 4Gb 'Jessie Light' for model B

Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:09 am

JarJarGeek wrote:First of all it needs to be said ; I am NOT a 'code ninja' - I'm learning 'on the job' - still :shock:
The release of Jessie is brilliant news BUT we need a distro that fits on a 4Gb card / model B of which there are plenty about in clubs and schools. I went about making 'Jessie Light' the hard way so any input on streamlining the process is most welcome. I tried at first removing Wolfram / Sonic-Pi / MineCraftPi from an existing Wheezy card to free up enough space for upgrade (apt-get purge & clean etc). This freed sufficient space ; 800Mb BUT upgrade process went on for days :o before finally crashing.
So plan B+ was to use a full fresh Jessie / 8Gb , slim it down - again with apt-get purge and extract to smaller card. So after booting 8Gb card - removing 'weighty packages' I backed the card / .img on my Mac with http://www.tweaking4all.com/hardware/ra ... -pi-baker/ (brilliant) and set about slimming card. Using Linux in Virtualbox; I then used GParted to resize partition on card so it came to about 3.5Gb with boot partition inclusive. After another backup of this card it was then just a matter of using 'dd bs' to write 'Jessie Light' to 4Gb card:

sudo dd bs=4M if=/dev/rdisk4 of=/Desktop/Jessie.img count=1024

First boot was a bit nerve racking , but seeing my model B fly in to desktop in less than 40 seconds was very satisfying - more testing to come but the short'nsweet message is ; Move over Wheezy - there's a new sheriff in town :D
FYI the RPF will be creating a CLi version of Raspbian Jessie in the near future ;)
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

JarJarGeek

Re: Creating a 4Gb 'Jessie Light' for model B

Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:36 am

Thanks - I thought so much - just my OCD getting the better of me :P
Little challenges I set myself just to keep me occupied !!
@jarjargeek

syntax-err0r.com

Return to “Raspbian”