Jade

Re: Packages from debian you want to see in raspbian reposit

Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:51 pm

tmux, dvtm, dtach, xmoto, mocp

ltaber

Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:55 pm

Sorry about requesting locate. I was hoping to have it placed on the .img fie. I was aware it was available in the repository. It install fine. No problem at all.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:14 pm

Jade wrote:tmux, dvtm, dtach, xmoto
all of theese seem to be available already
mocp
I can't find any evidence of this in debian

tand

Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:30 pm

linux-headers for the latest kernel, 3.2.27+, would be great in order to compile external drivers without the need to download the kernel source. Will save some git server bandwidth too :)
Be nice to your fellow threads!

dliloch

Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:46 pm

this is an easy one... went to new raspian image 9-2012 and had to reinstall hercules.. which went fine. then x3270 was not there .. so I got the source and created it.. but this morning I found the debian package.. for arm hf .. so you might want to just include this??

http://packages.debian.org/sid/armhf/x3270/download

the new "turbo" makes my system much faster .. but 900mhz is the max for me ... seems stable at this speed... if I go faster I just have to reimage my SD card... and I'm tired of that!

t1ger

Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:50 am

Squeezeplay would be nice, I´m running it headless (starting with xvfb-run) .
It was quite tricky to compile it.

williamhbell

Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:01 pm

Hi Plugwash et al.

Would it be possible to put Ted,
http://www.nllgg.nl/Ted/

into the Raspbian repo.?

Thanks and best regards, Will

bashrules

Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:06 am

What happened to povray? I would like to see it in Raspbian. It was in 6.0 and it is in sid, but it does not appear to be in 7.0.

Bash

milhouse

Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:26 am

Is it possible to have the latest Logitech Media Server package added to the Raspbian repository? It's kinda working, with some hacks (details here) but would be really nice if it cold be included as standard. Many thanks in advance!

milhouse

Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:50 am

PS. The latest deb for LMS 7.8 can be found here - with the hacks in the article listed above, it's working fine. I also included lame which is not mentioned by the article, but useful to have when running LMS 7.8 (transcoding to MP3).

Dilligaf

Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:53 am

It's not in the Debian repos but would love to see dvbhdhomerun/userhdhomerun from here http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/dvbhdhomerun/ It makes a HDHomerun tuner appear as a local dvb tuner for TVHeadend or whatever

meistersteve

Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:51 pm

tand wrote:linux-headers for the latest kernel, 3.2.27+, would be great in order to compile external drivers without the need to download the kernel source. Will save some git server bandwidth too :)
Normally this should be an obvious step when updating to newer kernel version !!! I can't await this as it uses lot less space than providing headers by hand.

milhouse

Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:24 pm

Would it be possible to include a more recent version of the GNU unrar package? The version available, unrar-free (v0.0.1) dates from 2004 and is unusable for any serious use as it doesn't support features that allow rar archives to be processed automatically, eg. the output from the list command is basically impossible to parse. The version of unrar available in Debian/Ubuntu (UNRAR 3.93 freeware) is much easier to use in scripts.

This package from Ubuntu compiles fine on Raspbian.

idorux

Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:13 pm

Hi, I know there are XBMC only installs but is there anyway to get XBMC installed inside raspbian. Also will I be able to view flash videos with say the chromium or firefox browser ? My PI comes this thursday and hopefully my SD card will work properly with the deb install. Thank you

itimpi

Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:42 am

idorux wrote:Hi, I know there are XBMC only installs but is there anyway to get XBMC installed inside raspbian. Also will I be able to view flash videos with say the chromium or firefox browser ? My PI comes this thursday and hopefully my SD card will work properly with the deb install. Thank you
There is no way of playing flash with acceptable performance on the Pi. Whether this will ever change when/if the graphics drivers are enhanced to use the GPU to offload rendering work from the CPU I have no idea, but I would certainly no bank on it happening. Since Adobe have abandoned flash on mobile devices this means that a flash port from them is no longer a possibility.

ismangil

Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:21 am

meistersteve wrote:
tand wrote:linux-headers for the latest kernel, 3.2.27+, would be great in order to compile external drivers without the need to download the kernel source. Will save some git server bandwidth too :)
Normally this should be an obvious step when updating to newer kernel version !!! I can't await this as it uses lot less space than providing headers by hand.
+1 for this. I am experimenting with video capture drivers that needs recompilation of drivers.

fos

Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:09 pm

I would like to have the mariaDB package available for Raspbian. It is a MySql fork or clone.

Mysql is now owned by Oracle. Oracle is not the best steward of open source software. Many such as NearlyFreeSpeech have begun the transition to MariaDB.

I am currently using Mysql for my websites, as many/most website developers do. I intend to switch to MariaDB as soon as possible.

Thank you for your consideration,
Jeff

PS. I know it is possible to compile MariaDB on the RPi. Another user has already done so. He did mention that it consumes are large amount of the available memory. I intend to try compiling it myself with the most recent version of Raspbian.
https://faroutscience.com

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:25 am

fos wrote: Mysql is now owned by Oracle. Oracle is not the best steward of open source software.
I'd agree there, OTOH I can't say I like monty (who founded mysql, then sold out to sun and now heads mariadb) much either. Mysql make the dubious claim that any reimplementation of their wire protocol must be under the GPL and this calim dates back to before monty sold out to sun ( http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbo ... ail.com%3E ).

I don't intend to package mariadb in the raspbian repositories myself because once i'd done it i'd feel committed to maintain it and right now i'm already feeling overstretches. If you think debian should switch to mariadb you should take it up with them. Raspbian will then follow. If you want to set up your own unofficial repo with rebuilds of the packages from mariadb's repo that's fine too.

You might also want to check out postgresql.= ;)

fos

Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:37 pm

Thanks for your thoughts on mariadb, plugwash. I have been working with Postgresql and Sqlite. Psql is a good alternative in most cases. Mysql is used in a large percentage of internet based applications and many people may be used to using it. Who knows the future. Debian will probably provide MariaDB or something similar in the future. It is hard to blame Monty for accepting a buyout that would set anyone up for the rest of their life. It is just too bad some corporations don't embrace the open source software that they leverage.

fos
https://faroutscience.com

Borner

Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:25 pm

...what is about ipv6 and LVM/ MDADM to build an soft-raid??

P3ter

Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:05 pm

Hello,
I've tried to install Shinken on my Raspberry Pi but the install script need the lsb_release utility wich is not in the raspbian repository.
Twitter : @p3terdickins0n
Blog : p3ter.fr

P3ter

Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:16 am

P3ter wrote:Hello,
I've tried to install Shinken on my Raspberry Pi but the install script need the lsb_release utility wich is not in the raspbian repository.
The lsb_release is in the package lsb-release which is in raspbian.
Sorry for this useless post
Twitter : @p3terdickins0n
Blog : p3ter.fr

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:14 pm

I think this thread has run it's course, the number of genuine requests per the instructions at the start of the thread has dropped to near zero. In future if there is a package that is in debian but not raspbian that you want please file a seperate thread.

Thanks to everyone who posted.

Locking this thread and dropping the sticky.

Return to “Raspbian”