leol

Jessie expand disk

Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:10 pm

Apologies if this has been raised before. Tried out Jessie from a clean install yesterday.
When first booted, it goes to the desktop. (I still think that is a very bad idea - but I'll shut up about it!). It no longer goes to raspi-config automatically.
Does it expand the disk automatically anyway?
I selected expand (and a bunch of other things in the new GUI version of the config utility, but did not check before I did so what the available space was.

Leo

fruitoftheloom

Re: Jessie expand disk

Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:17 pm

leol wrote:Apologies if this has been raised before. Tried out Jessie from a clean install yesterday.
When first booted, it goes to the desktop. (I still think that is a very bad idea - but I'll shut up about it!). It no longer goes to raspi-config automatically.
Does it expand the disk automatically anyway?
I selected expand (and a bunch of other things in the new GUI version of the config utility, but did not check before I did so what the available space was.

Leo
Expand is not automatic..

When you select expand in the new GUI it will request a reboot to implement changes, if you have expanded correctly you will have no unused disk space on SD Card ;)

Though if you prefer raspi-config ii is still available as per the Blog https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbi ... ie-is-here
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

leol

Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:02 pm

Thanks.
The point is that how will a newbie know to do this?
Without automatically launching the config tool, either GUI or cli?

fruitoftheloom

Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:11 pm

leol wrote:Thanks.
The point is that how will a newbie know to do this?
Without automatically launching the config tool, either GUI or cli?
Best to ask in the Blog Responses on the page I linked then SL can respond ;)
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

spl23
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:13 pm

This has been discussed at Pi Towers.

Fundamentally, it is no different from the previous situation - just because raspi-config launched and had "Expand filesystem" as an option, there was nothing to indicate to a new user that expanding the f/s was something they actually needed to do. raspi-config did very little hand-holding, but just presented a long list of things you could try doing, which wasn't ideal from a UX point of view. I don't see that much is lost by not forcing the user into raspi-config, and I'd expect most new users to find "Raspberry Pi Configuration" in the desktop menus before too long and to see what it does.

At some point, I'd like to have a proper first-boot wizard that runs the first time the GUI opens in an image, which would deal with expanding the f/s - either that or automatically expanding the f/s on first boot. But there are only so many hours in the day, so it's on the to-do list for now!

Return to “Raspbian”