GreatLeader_Technus

Re: Jessie Q&A

Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:03 am

MrEngman wrote:
GreatLeader_Technus wrote:I just tried that, and nothing happened, I'm not sure if I ever did anything wrong? Is there a way to fix drivers possibly?
Well, as I said I am running wheezy on 3 Pi's (2 x B+, one 2B) and they each have a different wifi module, one being the "official" broadcom wifi adapter and each is using a different driver (8192cu, 8192eu and brcmfmac) and they all show "Link encap:Ethernet" so why do you think something is wrong?

Just to see what an old version of wheezy shows I tried 3.12.35+ #730 which I think was the first version of Raspbian wheezy to work on a B+. That also shows "Link encap:Ethernet".

And a quick search on the internet showed "Link encap:Ethernet" for wlan0 way back when the RPi first appeared in 2011 and used squeeze, rather that wheezy or jessie.

So what do you think it did/should show?

MrEngman
How would I fix the driver? I've never done a driver repair on Linux before...

MrEngman

Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:23 am

GreatLeader_Technus wrote:My wpa_supplicant.conf looks like this for some reason, and I edited like you suggested from before, but for some reason, it changes back into this:

Code: Select all

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={
        ssid="Network-Name"
        psk="Network-Password"
        key_mgmt=NONE
        wep_key0="Network-Password"
}
Strange that your file appears to change after you have edited it. Not seen that happen on any of my Pi's.

It would appear that your network may be using WEP security. Is that right? If it is then I have connected to a WEP network using the following set up for /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

update_config=1

network={
       ssid="Network-Name"
       key_mgmt=NONE
       auth_alg=OPEN
       wep_key0=WEP-Hex-Key0
}
WEP-Hex-Key0 is the WEP hex key which will be either 10 or 26 hex digits depending on the version of WEP being used, 64bit or 128bit encription. The hex key does not have quotation marks ("...") around it.

I think you may be able to use the password used to generate the hex keys by changing the last line to

wep_key0="Network-Password"
but I have not tried that and currently I do not have access to a WEP network to try it on.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

MrEngman

Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:29 am

GreatLeader_Technus wrote: How would I fix the driver? I've never done a driver repair on Linux before...
I doubt it is broken unless you may have corrupted your SD card image somehow.

MrEngman

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

DougieLawson

Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:04 am

MrEngman wrote: Strange that your file appears to change after you have edited it. Not seen that happen on any of my Pi's.
The GUI WiFi program re-writes the wpa_supplicant file.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

GreatLeader_Technus

Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:10 am

DougieLawson wrote:
MrEngman wrote: Strange that your file appears to change after you have edited it. Not seen that happen on any of my Pi's.
So how would I get it to recognize my access point? I've tried every suggestion EngMan gave me, the only thing left I think of wipe my SD Card...

How would I find those fields the GUI asks me for?

MrEngman

Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:41 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
True, I suppose, but then I almost never ever use the GUI. :lol:

MrEngman

davenull

Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:43 pm

hey,
which is the command to display the Raspbian Jessie version number ?
#define S sqrt(t+2*i*i)<2
#define F(a,b) for(a=0;a<b;++a)
float x,y,r,i,s,j,t,n;int main(){F(y,64){F(x,99){r=i=t=0;s=x/33-2;j=y/32-1;F(n,50&S){t=r*r-i*i;i=2*r*i+j;r=t+s;}if(S){PointOut(x,y);}}}for(;;);}

MrEngman

Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:47 pm

GreatLeader_Technus wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:
So how would I get it to recognize my access point? I've tried every suggestion EngMan gave me, the only thing left I think of wipe my SD Card...

How would I find those fields the GUI asks me for?
You either edit the files yourself like I suggested or use the GUI wifi program to configure the wifi, not both. After manually editing the files it is probably best to reboot and see what happens.

MrEngman

DougieLawson

Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:16 pm

Examine your WiFi access point to see what security scheme is in use and be sure of the password or pre-shared key. Code it by hand using sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

There's hundreds of examples for what to code out on the internet. http://www.cs.upc.edu/lclsi/Manuales/wi ... icant.conf is a good starting point.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

davenull

Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:47 pm

davenull wrote:hey,
which is the command to display the Raspbian Jessie version number ?
float x,y,r,i,s,j,t,n;int main(){F(y,64){F(x,99){r=i=t=0;s=x/33-2;j=y/32-1;F(n,50&S){t=r*r-i*i;i=2*r*i+j;r=t+s;}if(S){PointOut(x,y);}}}for(;;);}

DougieLawson

Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:55 pm

cat /etc/os-release

davenull

Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:59 pm

no such file or directory

davenull

Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:03 pm

are there blanks missing or too many blanks?

rpdom

Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:22 pm

davenull wrote:are there blanks missing or too many blanks?
Blanks? What blanks?
Just type in the command that Dougie gave. It is simple.

[email protected] ~ $ cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="8"
VERSION="8 (jessie)"
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian
HOME_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianForums"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianBugs"

davenull

Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:32 pm

+aah, yes, thanks, now it works!
To me it looked like
cat / etc/os-release

DougieLawson

Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:07 pm

davenull wrote:+aah, yes, thanks, now it works!
To me it looked like
cat / etc/os-release
Sorry I can't apologise enough for the exceedingly awful font used on the forum. If you change to the "prosilver" theme the font is slightly less ugly. It's one of the reasons I often post commands in blue text then you know what to cut and paste into a PuTTY session. The "Helvetica Neue" font also doesn't make it easy to differentiate between lower case ell (l) and capital eye (I).

dickg4bbh

Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:01 pm

I recently installed 2015-11-21-raspbian-jessie and have run the updates. I have now tried several different USB audio devices and all show up using the 'lsusb' command but am unable to get them to work. On my old raspbian I modified alsa-base.conf but this file is not present on this issue of jessie. I see alsa-base 1.0.27+1 is marked as installed with the comment 'dummy package to ease purging of obsolete files' so I'm wondering if alsa support has been deliberately removed.
Question is what do I need to install to get alsa working again.
Thanks .

davenull

Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:23 pm

Douglas,
thanks for your inputs!
Actually I had copy and pasted if possible, but my 10" Raspi screen is too small to work with it in the internet. So I read what you wrote on my PC and typed it anew on my Raspi keyboard. Once I will have to buy a bigger 2nd-hand HDMI screen, sized 15-17" (bigger than that would be too big for my dektop - I didn't find such a monitor yet).
Before that I only have to be sure that it's worth while - so far there are too many unresolved issues about the Raspi and I'm not sure if I can resolve them, and in case I will fail again all additional accessories would be wasted money. :-/

davenull

Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:47 am

a small bug happening at 1st installation of Raspbian from a NOOBS SD card:

Even if one chooses "Keyboard Layout: German" in the installation menu, this option is ignored and so afterwards the English keyboard layout (GB) has been set up by Raspbian.

DougieLawson

Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:26 am

davenull wrote:a small bug happening at 1st installation of Raspbian from a NOOBS SD card:

Even if one chooses "Keyboard Layout: German" in the installation menu, this option is ignored and so afterwards the English keyboard layout (GB) has been set up by Raspbian.
Try running sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration in a command window.

gkreidl

Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:28 am

davenull wrote:a small bug happening at 1st installation of Raspbian from a NOOBS SD card:

You must disable the active selection (GB) first.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

davenull

Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:37 am

I just could observe just 2 additional country settings underneath the Operating System Menu:
1 for the language (bottom, left side) and 1 for the keyboard (bottom, right side)

I checked both for "German".

As it failed the first time and some things else went wrong at my 1st Raspbian setup, I had a close look on that for my 2nd installation - and again it failed and installed "English" layout.

So if I had always missed something, then the set language / keyboard menu is ambiguous and highly misleading which should be made more clear to see (finally NOOBS is for "very new newbies" who are supposed to be not experienced in those details at all).
Additionally, the country settings should be placed elsewhere for a better attention (perhaps loaded in an extra country option page/site).

Anyway, it's only a very small issue nevertheless.

GreatLeader_Technus

Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:45 am

Ok guys, I did a clean install, and to the guy who posted about the keyboard fix, thank you for that! However, my wi-fi dongle is still not working. It did work when I tried Wheezy again, but it's IP Address was insane. Now that I did a clean install of Jessie, it won't work with the Wi-Fi Dongle still. I need help on fixing on my interfaces for WEP, can anyone help?

Pi Model B (1st Gen Series)

MrEngman

Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:47 pm

GreatLeader_Technus wrote:Ok guys, I did a clean install, and to the guy who posted about the keyboard fix, thank you for that! However, my wi-fi dongle is still not working. It did work when I tried Wheezy again, but it's IP Address was insane. Now that I did a clean install of Jessie, it won't work with the Wi-Fi Dongle still. I need help on fixing on my interfaces for WEP, can anyone help?

Pi Model B (1st Gen Series)
I can connect to an AP using WEP by editing /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf like

update_config=1

network={
       ssid="Network-Name"
       key_mgmt=NONE
       auth_alg=OPEN
       wep_key0=WEP-Hex-Key
}
Note: No quotation marks, ", around the WEP-Hex-Key.

MrEngman

davenull

Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:10 am

hey,
IMO it's confusing and annoying especially for beginners who are (completely) lacking of Linux skills that
a) for working with a wireless mouse one has to edit /boot/cmdline.txt and add usbhid.mousepoll=0, that's unreasonable!
b) all communication ports like UART, I2C (and SPI?) have to be enabled before one can use them (al least many (all?) tutorials say so) - enabled ports should be the default setting (especially for Raspi 2B)!

Return to “Raspbian”