devenh

Re: Jessie Q&A

Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:45 pm

diederik wrote:
devenh wrote:every time I try to run one of my install scripts that worked with Wheezie
Then you need to upgrade your install scripts to work with jessie ...

... and if you want others to help you with that, it may be an idea to post them or when they are public, point to them.
Sorry. Didn't post the install scripts because they were exactly the same as the code that was included in the quoted text that I was replying to. So here is a typical line of what I am executing:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install samba samba-common-bin
Here is the result:

E: Package 'samba' has no installation candidate
Hope that clears things up :D

diederik

Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:57 pm

Ok, I expected an actual script and not the normal command to install a package.
Can you post the output of 'apt-cache policy' ?
And the contents of '/etc/apt/sources.list' ?

gordon77

Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:11 pm

dom wrote:
gordon77 wrote: Any thoughts on the hdmi mode issue?
Very unlikely to be directly related to Jessie. It will be a firmware issue (that the upgrade to Jessie happened to update).
Create a github issue and we can do some troubleshooting.
Created.

devenh

Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:18 pm

diederik wrote: And the contents of '/etc/apt/sources.list' ?
I checked my script and I see that it replaced sources.list with a Wheezie version of the file. Once this was fixed, things worked much better ;)

DougieLawson

Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:12 pm

dom wrote:
Very unlikely to be directly related to Jessie. It will be a firmware issue (that the upgrade to Jessie happened to update).
I don't think it's a firmware issue. I rebooted my B+ today (after rebuilding my /dev/sda1 root filesystem on a hard drive).

When I modprobe'd rtc-ds1307 then modprobe'd i2c-bcm2708 that made /dev/rtc0 and /dev/rtc appear and hwclock works.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

S.Marwen

Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:52 am

how can i set autologin CLI for costum user? Thanx

gordon77

Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:11 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
dom wrote:
I don't think it's a firmware issue. I rebooted my B+ today (after rebuilding my /dev/sda1 root filesystem on a hard drive).

When I modprobe'd rtc-ds1307 then modprobe'd i2c-bcm2708 that made /dev/rtc0 and /dev/rtc appear and hwclock works.
Dougie,

Can you detail what you mean by l modprobe'd...

DougieLawson

Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:03 pm

sudo modprobe rtc-ds1307
sudo modprobe i2c-bcm2708

Do that and /dev/rtc and /dev/rtc0 appear.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

gordon77

Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:24 pm

gordon77 wrote:
dom wrote:
Created.
My error, at some time l must have set the buffer width and height in config.txt

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:15 pm

Hmm, I've been playing around with the pi with RTC on it and it seems like the way RTC is handled has changed somewhat. There is no longer a hwclock serivce and the task of setting the system time has been moved to the kernel. However, the option to set the system time from rtc is disable in the kernel config. Digging further to see if enabling that option fixes the problem and/or introduces new ones.

jojopi

Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:49 pm

CONFIG_RTC_HCTOSYS is only effective if the RTC driver is compiled in, not a module. It might be interesting to check how much RAM is lost by compiling in all the I²C RTC drivers.

Although the mechanisms have changed, Debian wheezy was equally broken in that it too assumed the kernel would have read the RTC, and its userspace merely corrected for timezone in the case where the hardware was not set on universal time.

The hwclock service never did anything in the presence of udev. I believe that most people who got an RTC to work on wheezy did so by hacking out that restriction.

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:55 pm

Oh, interesting. Sounds like the solution might be to provide a working hwclock-equivalent unit that works. Thanks, jojopi.

Malman35

Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:47 am

StuartF wrote:can't help with 2 or 3 but for setting the number of desktops try editing
/home/pi/.config/openbox/lxde-pi-rc.xml
find <desktops> and then <number>
change this to the number of desktops required
save
reboot or go cli and startx.
THANK YOU SO MUCH! :D I had such a hard time functioning with out having 2 desktops. I was able to get the desktop pager on the panel (the bar on top) but when I right clicked the desktop pager settings was greyed out so this was a great fix. ;)

Malman35

Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:58 am

What happened to Chromium? I just recently formatted my sd card (after backing up my files of course) and then installed Jessie. I was installing programs I had before. I had gotten to chromium and this is what happened

[email protected] ~ $ sudo apt-get install chromium
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package chromium is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
  chromium-inspector chromium-bsu

E: Package 'chromium' has no installation candidate
[email protected] ~ $ 
I then searched for chromium

[email protected] ~ $ apt-cache search chromium
chromium-inspector - web browser - page inspection support
chromium-l10n - web browser - language packs
[email protected] ~ $
So then I tried installing chromium-l10n and this is what I got.

[email protected] ~ $ sudo apt-get install chromium-l10n 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 chromium-l10n : Depends: chromium (>= 46.0.2490.71-1~deb8u1) but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
[email protected] ~ $ 
The reason I like chromium and use it instead of epiphany is because I really do not like epiphany! Before when I used wheezy it was okay but since I have upgraded to jessie I really don't like it! I had written this post 2 times and each time when I was almost done epiphany crashed! It just went away! :x leaving me to write the message all over again! when it happened the second time I just gave up and went and wrote it on a mac. ;)

fruitoftheloom

Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:10 am

Malman35 wrote:What happened to Chromium?
Chromium has been removed as the version in Raspbian Wheezy was to old to be used with Jessie, also Debian no longer support Chromium for ARM.

IF you have the RPi2B ARMv7 you can install Chromium 45:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=121195

IF you have a RPi B or B+ ARMv6 unfortunately there is no version of Chromium suitable for Jessie...AFAIAA

fyi chromium-l10n is a language pack for Chromium
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

gkreidl

Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:22 am

It's also in the pipplware repository, which you can add. See here:
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=109088&p=832765#p832735
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

novacausekey

Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:08 am

Hi there, it's my first post here. I just installed Raspbian Jessie on my Pi2 & I'm really pleased with some changes, but I've got some problems with "Raspberry Pi Configuration" app. When I go to "Localisation > Set Keyboard", choose "Polska" (Polish) & click "ok", my keyboard layout change to polish. But Raspbian forgets about it when I restart - then it changes to "UK". How can I force it to save my choice?

kusti8

Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:12 am

gkreidl wrote:It's also in the pipplware repository, which you can add. See here:
I assume only for armv7 or an older version for ARMv6?
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

gkreidl

Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:26 am

kusti8 wrote:
gkreidl wrote:It's also in the pipplware repository, which you can add. See here:
It comes from the Ubuntu release, so it must be ARMv7 only.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

kusti8

Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:37 am

gkreidl wrote:
kusti8 wrote:
It comes from the Ubuntu release, so it must be ARMv7 only.
Ah. That's what I thought.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

dom

Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:39 am

novacausekey wrote:Hi there, it's my first post here. I just installed Raspbian Jessie on my Pi2 & I'm really pleased with some changes, but I've got some problems with "Raspberry Pi Configuration" app. When I go to "Localisation > Set Keyboard", choose "Polska" (Polish) & click "ok", my keyboard layout change to polish. But Raspbian forgets about it when I restart - then it changes to "UK". How can I force it to save my choice?
I've just checked and this is a known problem. A patch is being tested and will hopefully be available through "apt-get upgrade" soon.

Joe Schmoe

Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:42 am

dom wrote:
novacausekey wrote:Hi there, it's my first post here. I just installed Raspbian Jessie on my Pi2 & I'm really pleased with some changes, but I've got some problems with "Raspberry Pi Configuration" app. When I go to "Localisation > Set Keyboard", choose "Polska" (Polish) & click "ok", my keyboard layout change to polish. But Raspbian forgets about it when I restart - then it changes to "UK". How can I force it to save my choice?
I've just checked and this is a known problem. A patch is being tested and will hopefully be available through "apt-get upgrade" soon.
I noticed this a while back and was told on the forum that it was a "known problem" (which usually translates into "something we're not going to fix...")

I was told that the solution is to use the old CLI raspi-config program - that that method would make the change in a way that would stick. Also note that the new GUI program doesn't allow you to set the Ctrl/Alt/Backspace key, so you need to use the CLI version for that in any case.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

dom

Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:37 pm

dom wrote:
This should be present now. Please run:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
test again, and report back if issue is fixed.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:29 pm

dom wrote:
dom wrote:
This should be present now. Please run:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
test again, and report back if issue is fixed.
Just updated Jessie and this message popped up after reboot

Your Raspbian system has been upgraded to the latest version.

To ensure compatibility with the new version, some configuration files have been overwritten -
if you had customised your system, some of your changes may have been lost.

Your original configuration files have been backed up and put in the directory /home/pi/oldconffiles
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

dom

Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:34 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:Just updated Jessie and this message popped up after reboot

Your Raspbian system has been upgraded to the latest version.

To ensure compatibility with the new version, some configuration files have been overwritten -
if you had customised your system, some of your changes may have been lost.

Your original configuration files have been backed up and put in the directory /home/pi/oldconffiles
I've checked and this is expected. Whenever configuration files are updated a backup of the old ones is made and this message is triggered on next boot.
If you have customised any configuration files your changes may have been overwritten, so this reminds you where to look for the originals.
Normally this can just be ignored assuming all is working as before.

I believe there were some theme files that have been updated recently as the changes were found that improve performance a little.

Return to “Raspbian”