Massi
Posts: 1691
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 1:52 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Jessie Q&A

Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:27 am

Massi wrote:what am i missing?
i couldn't get pigpiod to run as service even in this way

https://gist.github.com/tstellanova/7323116

stav242
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:03 pm

Re: Jessie Q&A

Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:03 pm

Hi, tried several times to get apt-get working.
i simply write the lastest Jessie image to a SD card.
boot up and try `sudo apt-get update`

getting ....

Reading package lists... Error!
E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
E: problem with Mergelist /var/lib/dpkg/status
E: the package lists or status file could not be parsed.

-ive tried the apt-get clean.

any ideas ?

macrutan
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:46 pm
Location: Oviedo, Florida U.S.A.
Contact: Website

Re: Jessie Q&A

Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:36 pm

I noticed that the elinux.org and raspbian.org sites have not been updated to reflect this wonderful evolution. Is anyone here involved with updating those wikis? or is anyone here able to send them copy?

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 14483
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: Jessie Q&A

Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:43 am

macrutan wrote:I noticed that the elinux.org and raspbian.org sites have not been updated to reflect this wonderful evolution. Is anyone here involved with updating those wikis? or is anyone here able to send them copy?
Forget the elinux.org one, it's old.

Plugwash may be able to update the notes on the Raspbian site to change the references from Wheezy to Jessie in the recommended sources.list entries. However the fact that the Foundation has decided to switch to using Jessie in their images is not an issue that necessarily requires the Raspbian people to act. They provide a (rather excellent) repo. The RPF decided to use/recommend that repo.

Bosse_B
Posts: 752
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:53 am

Re: Jessie Q&A

Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:41 pm

I have started a separate thread about the strange way the start Menu in Jessie behaves.
Please check what is going on there.
Newly installed GUI programs do not appear on the Menu until another GUI program is installed, which in its turn does not show up...
Seems like there is an OBOB bug somewhere in Jessie or the Raspbian flavour.
Bo Berglund
Sweden

engineer_m
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: Jessie Q&A

Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:52 pm

I recently installed the latest version of Raspbian and found out that /etc/inittab is missing. What seems to be the problem?

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5717
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:36 pm
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: Jessie Q&A

Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:11 pm

engineer_m wrote:I recently installed the latest version of Raspbian and found out that /etc/inittab is missing. What seems to be the problem?
No problem. inittab is a feature of sysvinit. sysvinit has been reeplaced with systemd.

engineer_m
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: Jessie Q&A

Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:43 pm

Can you please give instructions on how to:

1. enable/ disable serial console
2. change baud rate
3. disable data and logs on serial port when booting ( i used to acomplish this with deleting this line in the /etc/inittab: T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyAMA0 115200 vt100)

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5717
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:36 pm
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: Jessie Q&A

Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:05 pm


jimla
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:19 am

Re: Jessie Q&A

Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:24 am

Re: SSH login problems. My error: I was using the wrong IP address for the Pi. I used ifconfig to determine the Pi ethernet address and SSH is working fine.

Michael_O
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:28 pm

Re: Jessie Q&A

Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:59 am

The fim image viewer package seems to have gone missing from jessie, is this an oversight and will it be replaced or is there a reason for leaving it out?
I use a bash script to take pictures, save them and then display them for 10 seconds before taking the next one. When the script is finished I combine the collected images into a 1fps timelapse video. The subject is an artist making a drawing over about 15 minutes. Fim has a good set of parameters for doing the display including the 10s delay and is a recommended update of fbi.
I hope we can get it back.
Michael

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5717
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:36 pm
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: Jessie Q&A

Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:08 pm

Michael_O wrote:The fim image viewer package seems to have gone missing from jessie, is this an oversight and will it be replaced or is there a reason for leaving it out?
I use a bash script to take pictures, save them and then display them for 10 seconds before taking the next one. When the script is finished I combine the collected images into a 1fps timelapse video. The subject is an artist making a drawing over about 15 minutes. Fim has a good set of parameters for doing the display including the 10s delay and is a recommended update of fbi.
I hope we can get it back.
Michael
It seems to have been dropped by Debian:
https://packages.debian.org/search?keyw ... ection=all


magifix
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:42 pm

Re: Jessie Q&A

Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:28 pm

I just installed the lasttest release (Linux raspberrypi 4.1.7-v7+). Can someone tell me why it want to get some old kernel headers when installing getting xtables-addons:

[email protected]:~# apt-get install xtables-addons-common
Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
Construction de l'arbre des dépendances
Lecture des informations d'état... Fait
Les paquets supplémentaires suivants seront installés :
cpp-4.6 dkms firmware-linux-free gcc-4.6 libuuid-perl linux-base linux-headers-3.6-trunk-common linux-headers-3.6-trunk-rpi
linux-image-3.6-trunk-rpi linux-kbuild-3.6 xtables-addons-dkms
Paquets suggérés :
gcc-4.6-locales libmudflap0-4.6-dev gcc-4.6-doc libgcc1-dbg libgomp1-dbg libquadmath-dbg libmudflap0-dbg libcloog-ppl1
libcloog-ppl0 libppl-c4 libppl12 libppl9 linux-doc-3.6 debian-kernel-handbook fdutils libtext-csv-xs-perl
Paquets recommandés :
linux-headers-686-pae linux-headers-amd64 linux-headers-generic linux-headers linux-image
Les NOUVEAUX paquets suivants seront installés :
cpp-4.6 dkms firmware-linux-free gcc-4.6 libuuid-perl linux-base linux-headers-3.6-trunk-common linux-headers-3.6-trunk-rpi
linux-image-3.6-trunk-rpi linux-kbuild-3.6 xtables-addons-common xtables-addons-dkms
0 mis à jour, 12 nouvellement installés, 0 à enlever et 0 non mis à jour.
Il est nécessaire de prendre 23.7 Mo dans les archives.
Après cette opération, 89.3 Mo d'espace disque supplémentaires seront utilisés.
Souhaitez-vous continuer ? [O/n]

User avatar
blackminion
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:06 pm
Location: Tehran

Re: Jessie Q&A

Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:13 pm

Hello
I downloaded Jessie . :D
Now how can I offline install Jessie ?
(Install from SDCard)

User avatar
kusti8
Posts: 3439
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: USA

Re: Jessie Q&A

Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:23 pm

blackminion wrote:Hello
I downloaded Jessie . :D
Now how can I offline install Jessie ?
(Install from SDCard)
I don't understand your question. What is there to offline install when you've already downloaded the img file? All you have to do is write the image, using Win32DiskImager or dd, or just use NOOBS.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

User avatar
blackminion
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:06 pm
Location: Tehran

Re: Jessie Q&A

Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:29 pm

kusti8 wrote: I don't understand your question. What is there to offline install when you've already downloaded the img file? All you have to do is write the image, using Win32DiskImager or dd, or just use NOOBS.
Hi
I do not want update
I want to install Jessie from images
But I do not know how Can I install jessie.img

diederik
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:17 pm

Re: Jessie Q&A

Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:49 pm

magifix wrote:I just installed the lasttest release (Linux raspberrypi 4.1.7-v7+). Can someone tell me why it want to get some old kernel headers when installing getting xtables-addons:
That's because it recommends xtables-addons-dkms which needs kernel headers to work and according to the Debian package page it really needs the dkms package in order to be useful.

Unfortunately, the kernels provided by the Raspberry Pi foundation still don't have a kernel-headers package :(

diederik
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:17 pm

Re: Jessie Q&A

Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:50 pm

blackminion wrote:I want to install Jessie from images
But I do not know how Can I install jessie.img
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 35383
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: Jessie Q&A

Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:07 am

diederik wrote:Unfortunately, the kernels provided by the Raspberry Pi foundation still don't have a kernel-headers package :(
You don't need a headers package, just pull a copy of the 4.1.10+ source tree.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

diederik
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:17 pm

Re: Jessie Q&A

Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:02 am

DougieLawson wrote:
diederik wrote:Unfortunately, the kernels provided by the Raspberry Pi foundation still don't have a kernel-headers package :(
You don't need a headers package, just pull a copy of the 4.1.10+ source tree.
Not 'just'.
You need to set a couple of things up before that's usable so you can compile kernel modules.
And then you still haven't satisfied the linux-headers package dependency of dkms.
And yes, you can work around that too. But I doubt 'average Joe' knows how to do that all.

Michael_O
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:28 pm

Re: Jessie Q&A

Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:00 am

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Michael_O wrote:The fim image viewer package seems to have gone missing from jessie, is this an oversight and will it be replaced or is there a reason for leaving it out?
I use a bash script to take pictures, save them and then display them for 10 seconds before taking the next one. When the script is finished I combine the collected images into a 1fps timelapse video. The subject is an artist making a drawing over about 15 minutes. Fim has a good set of parameters for doing the display including the 10s delay and is a recommended update of fbi.
I hope we can get it back.
Michael
It seems to have been dropped by Debian:
https://packages.debian.org/search?keyw ... ection=all
Well that's a pity, I'll just have to look at the syntax for fbi and see if I can get what I want from it.
I note Plugwash located the bug report from 2013 asking to have it removed for bugs/lack of maintenance.
Thank you both for your trouble.

User avatar
blackminion
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:06 pm
Location: Tehran

Re: Jessie Q&A

Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:26 am

I installed Jessie ;)
now I want to be my desktop in the form below
http://s6.picofile.com/file/8188199468/Capture.JPG
How can i do this ???

plugh
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:58 pm

Re: Jessie Q&A

Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:42 am

Is there a "noX" build available? (nightlies only has wheezy builds)

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5271
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:41 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: Jessie Q&A

Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:47 am

plugh wrote:Is there a "noX" build available? (nightlies only has wheezy builds)
This is jessie/NoX: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=111144&p=827424#p822611

Return to “Raspbian”