PeterO

New Raspbian based on Jessie is here....

Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:09 am

Seems odd that the upgrade thread doesn't make it clear that the newest Raspbian is out and it is Jessie bassed :-)
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbi ... e-is-here/
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

Massi

Re: New Raspbian based on Jessie is here....

Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:22 am

congrats for the arrival of jessie!

in my opinion this is too much gui and desktop oriented, but it's just a thought :)
after the "device tree storm" what are we expecting from this? will systemd break everything?

gonna try a raw update of my wheezy :ugeek:

metalj

Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:10 am

I am very excited and I will check it out tonight. I hope they did something about the WiFi setup. Can't wait to try bluej and greenfoot!
Backspace 28 times :)

chadw

Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:13 pm

Hello,

If NOOBS was used to install Raspbian Wheezy alongside another OS (dual boot), is it possible to upgrade to Jessie by merely copying the contents of the Jessie image over the existing Raspbian partition ?

fruitoftheloom

Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:18 pm

chadw wrote:Hello,

If NOOBS was used to install Raspbian Wheezy alongside another OS (dual boot), is it possible to upgrade to Jessie by merely copying the contents of the Jessie image over the existing Raspbian partition ?
Probably easier to dist-upgrade to Jessie:

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=121880
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

chadw

Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:06 pm

Thanks. But could it be done by copying the contents of the image (if the dist-upgrade route does not work), so that the Pi is still able to dual boot afterwards ?

Joe Schmoe

Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:35 pm

Your concern is justified, since people have reported all sorts of bad things happening when they try to get to Jesse via upgrading their current Raspbian.

Most of the "smart people" on the board will end up recommending a fresh install for just this reason.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

chadw

Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:11 pm

So, is it safe to overwrite the existing Raspbian partition (provided it is large enough) or is it necessary to install Noobs again (and the other OS on the sdcard) ?

fruitoftheloom

Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:30 pm

chadw wrote:So, is it safe to overwrite the existing Raspbian partition (provided it is large enough) or is it necessary to install Noobs again (and the other OS on the sdcard) ?
It is not a case of overwriting, the standard image is modified to work with the NOOBS installer / chooser Software by the NOOBS developers ;)

There is a post somewhere in this Forum how to retrospectively add/remove Operating Systems :D
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

buja

Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:53 pm

I didn't know Raspbian Jessie was already available (officially), but on spotting this topic I downloaded the image and tried it on my Pi 2.

It works, but that is hardly a surprise. But when I tried to install Geany, or to apt-get update, things failed: Temporary failure resolving 'mirrordirector.raspbian.org'.
Maybe it's just very busy, I will try again later.

LibreOffice, already installed, seems to be a bit faster than before and is now usable on the Pi.
Last edited by buja on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PuppetHoundZ

Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:11 pm

It will be better to do a fresh image of Jessie. It will make the transition less painful.

Joe Schmoe

Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:13 pm

PuppetHoundZ wrote:

It will be better to do a fresh image of Jessie. It will make the transition less painful.
I think you misunderstood chadw's post.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

PuppetHoundZ

Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:28 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:
I think you misunderstood chadw's post.
You're Probably right.

But it's still better to just re-image the whole thing rather then using NOOBs and be done with it, Rather then trying to figure out how to re-imaging a single partition. I found that NOOBs always inhibited me in some way when new images came out. So I just abandoned NOOBs all together in favor of a single OS image.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:45 pm

PuppetHoundZ wrote: But it's still better to just re-image the whole thing rather then using NOOBs and be done with it, Rather then trying to figure out how to re-imaging a single partition. I found that NOOBs always inhibited me in some way when new images came out. So I just abandoned NOOBs all together in favor of a single OS image.
+1
adieu

buja

Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:45 pm

buja wrote:...
...But when I tried to install Geany, or to apt-get update, things failed: Temporary failure resolving 'mirrordirector.raspbian.org'.
Maybe it's just very busy, I will try again later....
Plugging in the network cable helped a lot :oops:

2damncommon

Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:39 am

New Raspbian based on Jessie is here....
Sorry to hear that and it is why I have been trying Slackware on the Pi....

Penthux

Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:45 am

2damncommon wrote:Sorry to hear that and it is why I have been trying Slackware on the Pi....
I don't run anything else but Slackware ARM on my Raspberry Pi(s)....
Penthux
------------
Slackware ARM on a Raspberry Pi - SARPi
http://sarpi.co.uk
"Slackware ARM - it's not for NOOBS!"

Return to “Raspbian”