memecode

Custom boot screen with progress spinner

Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:36 am

So it seems easy enough to create a static boot screen. But would it be possible to load an image and then display a progress spinner over the top?

What I'm thinking is reading the boot log messages somehow and every time a line appears the spinner updates until the login prompt is displayed at which point I want to exit the splash screen and run my application.

I can use that linked script as a base, but instead of running /usr/bin/fbi I could write a very small SDL application that loads the PNG and puts it on the screen. The problem is:
1) How do I peek at the boot messages?
2) How do I know when the boot is finished?

Tom_A

Re: Custom boot screen with progress spinner

Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:00 am

I tried doing something like this. The problem I seem to remember having was that omxplayer refused to run properly early in the boot process. Internet searches seemed to indicate that this would work at one time, but would no longer work due to changes to omxplayer. If you are planning on using omxplayer, this is where I think you'll have the most trouble.

The boot times of my RPi's seems to be fairly consistent. This means you can probably just check to see how long it takes your current configuration to boot and make the video just a little longer. If it's not a video, you could run the animation a little longer as well.

I think you can make a crontab entry with @reboot to set the interval and it will execute when start up, I think at the end of the boot process. Would have to test to see. Other than that, an init script possibly. Can't remember which rcX.d folder you need to use though.

memecode

Re: Custom boot screen with progress spinner

Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:51 am

I'm not going to try and play a video, but run a SDL C++ app of my own writing that displays a PNG and overlays a spinner to give feedback that the boot is actually progressing.

I think if I try reading from /var/log/boot I might be able to get some status for the spinner... maybe it can remember the number of lines that a boot normally produces and use that to draw a progress bar?

Return to “Raspbian”