mpthompson

Debian ARM ports update - Where are we now, what's coming?

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:56 pm

Below are links to a very recent talk given by Steve McIntyre regarding the future of ARM support by Debian. Steve is one of the developers responsible for the official Debian armhf port. This will be of great interest to people who wonder the about how Raspbian fits within the Debian ARM ecosystem. Steve specifically mentions Raspbian about 18 minutes into his talk.

ARM port(s) update - Where are we now, what's coming?
Speaker: Steve McIntyre

http://ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/debian-meetin ... update.ogv

http://ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/debian-meetin ... update.ogv

ejsolutions

Re: Debian ARM ports update - Where are we now, what's comin

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:02 pm

Your fame grows by the day. :D
[Will try to find time to skip through to the important bits ;)]

mpthompson

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:00 pm

The talk actually contains some pretty important information regarding the future of Linux on ARM devices. I hope others get a chance to listen to it. Clearly, Raspbian is very much indebted to man years of work already spent getting Debian running on ARM devices. We really are standing on the shoulders of giants.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:56 am

I watched the talk and there wasn't a great deal in it that I didn't know already.

pholy

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:22 am

plugwash wrote:I watched the talk and there wasn't a great deal in it that I didn't know already.
That's good! It means you already know more about arm than the rest of us. That's why you two have done such a great job on getting this port working for all the rest of us.

Thanks Again - Pholy

mpthompson

ARM port(s) BoF at DebConf

Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:22 pm

Here is a follow up email from Steve McIntyre concerning the Debian ARM port(s) BoF at DebConf last week. Covers much the same information in the video linked above.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2012 ... 00068.html

Here is what he had to write about Raspbian:
Raspbian
--------
Unofficial Debian port for the Raspberry Pi. Built (mostly) using Debian source packages, but targeting ARMv6 hard-float. Works well and forwards-compatible with official (v7) armhf. Not being considered for inclusion into the main Debian archive - we already have two ARM ports. Great work from the folks involved, and we'd love to work with them and help wherever possible. Pi is problematic for kernel and non-free graphics drivers...

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”