El_Presidente

Changing Distros - Help

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:46 am

I'm about to try the Raspbian release candidate distro as my third after softfp Squeeze and Wheezy. Just wondering if there is anything to help me catalogue the changes I made to Wheezy over the last couple of weeks, done in order to sort quite a few glitches?

I'm a relative newbie on Linux and I'm trying to avoid the feeling of going back to square one again. I managed (with help from the forums, MagPi, Google et al) to crack a list of probably 10-15 issues across config, video, sound, legacy drivers, LXDE, Python, Bluetooth, USB stick, hub/keyboard etc.

Now I want to get onto Raspbian and do a little overclock to get things running smoother, but it would be great if I had a way of kind of doing a 'diff' on my current Wheezy first, against the stock Wheezy image. Maybe a list of changed files, settings etc. (OK - I know, I should have written things down! :? )

If Raspbian continues the evolutionary general improvements that I saw from Squeeze to Wheezy then fine - I can cope with revisiting a few old friends...

Too much to ask? :ugeek:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Never trust a man, who when left alone with a tea cosey, doesn't try it on.

mpthompson

Re: Changing Distros - Help

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:36 pm

Sorry, I don't know of a tool that catalogs such changes. You could try to see how much is captured in our command line "history". Hopefully someone will chime in with hints that will smooth out the process of changing distributions.

joan

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:43 pm

You may have some joy with the find command to pinpoint files that have been modified recently,

e.g.

find /etc -mtime 1 -type f

will show all the files in /etc which have changed in the last 2 days.

That may jog your memory enough to be able to document the changes.

El_Presidente

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:41 pm

Thanks for the replies - I have tried the find command but it's very long winded, and it throws up a LOT of stuff that I don't recognise as I run it against different bits of the file system with a longer date range.

I've started my own list of things I know I did. I'll just bite the bullet and see how the Raspbian build feels when it's up. It's all a learning experience!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Never trust a man, who when left alone with a tea cosey, doesn't try it on.

jojopi

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:06 pm

find /etc -mtime 1 -type f
will show all the files in /etc which have changed in the last 2 days.
Actually, that is the files modified between 24 and 48 hours ago. Since 48 hours ago would be "-mtime -2". (Or if you really wanted to exclude the future, "-mtime -2 -mtime +-1".)

I recommend keeping a list of any changes you make, or files you edit, that you know you might want to repeat on a new image. I like to keep them in a text file in the form of pasteable commands where possible. But if you do not have such a list then by definition you should spot any important differences after the switch anyway.

Always put a new distro on a new card, or overwrite an image you have definitely finished with, not your current preferred image.

besteverjam

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:40 pm

Hi,

I am trying to follow your advice - note what you do to the release of Pi so that when you download next release you can be sure you can do the same. However, incredible as it may seem, I can't find where my "command line" inputs are logged. I want to print then out and annotate them. ( I know the log is not updated until current session is ended - I can handle that.)

I have used FIND and searched suitable looking files to no avail.

Incidentally - is there a command / utility that will do a global text search?- if I were to search for any file containing sudo that would have limited my search area. (I have looked for a command/utility)

Many thanks.

Licaon_Kter

Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:39 pm

run less /home/pi/.bash_history ;) use q to exit
BFQ+BFS or RT on a RPi? 4'real: https://github.com/licaon-kter/ (source and compiled!)

Return to “Raspbian”