gruso

Re: raspberry pi foundation raspbian image

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:10 am

Thanks for the work everyone, and congrats on the 'official' release.

Question: Can I run my display in portrait mode with this release?

doobedoobedo

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:28 am

Take a look at xrandr, it might help you do what you want (works on any linux system)

gruso

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:34 am

Ah, thanks for the suggestion but I should have been more specific. I won't be running X, I need to boot into portrait mode console.

hellguide

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:49 am

Freaking sweet, I can't wait to try it out. :)

doobedoobedo

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:58 am

gruso wrote:Ah, thanks for the suggestion but I should have been more specific. I won't be running X, I need to boot into portrait mode console.
Adding 'fbcon=rotate:x' to the line in cmdline.txt where x is a number between 1 and 3 should work if this was compiled into the kernel, but it doesn't appear to be - maybe you need to ask someone nicely? Or compile your own.

gruso

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:12 am

RaTTuS kindly uploaded his recompiled kernel (for Debian Squeeze) here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 0&p=114360

But I haven't even had time to turn the RPi on since then, let alone start on the learning curve of loading a new kernel. I thought maybe I could avoid that if the option was in the new Raspbian image. Not to worry, I might have to run with Squeeze and figure out how to do this thing.

dirtyburger

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:56 am

Just a small observation, when I try to reboot from the GUI, I get asked for the sudo password, but the box disappears before I can type into it. I know how to get round it via terminal, but it could be bit confusing, don't know if this is anything to do with setting it to boot straight into Deskstop.

EDIT: Another small obs, the root terminal opens without prompting for a password, I am not sure if this is intended or not? There is a warning splash screen though that tells you this. I was expecting GKSU as per the tool tip.

Is there anywhere I should report such things as above? Or is here the right place?

+1 for some sort of graphical network manager, I used Wicd (sudo apt-get install wicd) which seems to work well, not sure if there is a more lightweight candidate or maybe there is one already in the image but I couldn't find it.

For the first time, I have my wireless keyboard/pad and Wifi working together! With no external powered hub. Admittedly, the device I am using costs about as much as the Pi itself, but still, it suits my needs! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rii-2-4GHz-Wire ... roduct_top

For anyone interested. It works OK, but does lose connection when not in use, something that it also seems to do with my laptop, so I think its more to do with the device than the Pi itself.
Last edited by dirtyburger on Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

chowanec

Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:02 am

Normally I wouldn't ask this, but since I couldn't partition /home off safely when I installed Squeeze, I wanted to check with the experts before potentially wiping/screwing my system up.

My /etc/apt/sources.list states:

Code: Select all

deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main
deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main non-free

# Nokia Qt5 development
deb http://archive.qmh-project.org/rpi/debian/ unstable main
Do I replace it with:

deb http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy main contrib non-free rpi
And then:

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
apt-get upgrade
And then all is well? :)

MadCow42

Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:34 am

Thank you for the hard work on this! A quick benchmark shows HUGE improvements for my uses! Some of that might be from converting from a Class 4 to a Class 10 SDHC card, but driving two stepper motors through a Python script is getting almost double the performance vs. before (1350 steps/second vs. 700/sec. before the motors started stalling - with much smoother performance at lower speeds than before!).

Great work, and thanks again.

Kevin.

bumblebizzle

Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:39 am

Downloaded and seeding. :)

thelightguy

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:09 am

Grats on the release! I have to say, I was a bit surprised to find that "screen" wasn't installed by default. That tends to be one of those console essentials that you don't miss until it's gone!

Montala

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:00 am

Good News indeed, and thanks again to all those involved.

Has Wi-Fi support been included in this release, by any chance?

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:03 am

dirtyburger wrote:Just a small observation, when I try to reboot from the GUI, I get asked for the sudo password, but the box disappears before I can type into it. I know how to get round it via terminal, but it could be bit confusing, don't know if this is anything to do with setting it to boot straight into Deskstop.

EDIT: Another small obs, the root terminal opens without prompting for a password, I am not sure if this is intended or not? There is a warning splash screen though that tells you this. I was expecting GKSU as per the tool tip.

Is there anywhere I should report such things as above? Or is here the right place?

+1 for some sort of graphical network manager, I used Wicd (sudo apt-get install wicd) which seems to work well, not sure if there is a more lightweight candidate or maybe there is one already in the image but I couldn't find it.
The issue tracker at http://github.com/asb/spindle is a good place to report things. I agree a graphical network manager would be useful. I haven't seen that reboot from GUI issue, I'll see if I can reproduce it. Finally, yes it is intended that you're not prompted for root password - you don't require a password to sudo by default.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:05 am

Montala wrote:Good News indeed, and thanks again to all those involved.

Has Wi-Fi support been included in this release, by any chance?
We include all wifi drivers which have modules in the upstream linux kernel and ship with the various firmware-* packages so decent percentage of wifi devices should be detected out of the box. There isn't a nice graphical manager for configuring your wireless connection though.

RaTTuS

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:53 am

gruso wrote:RaTTuS kindly uploaded his recompiled kernel (for Debian Squeeze) here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 0&p=114360

But I haven't even had time to turn the RPi on since then, let alone start on the learning curve of loading a new kernel. I thought maybe I could avoid that if the option was in the new Raspbian image. Not to worry, I might have to run with Squeeze and figure out how to do this thing.
I've tested this and it does not work on this version
I'll have to submit a patch like
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... =71&t=9448
and see if it gets accepted.
[so busy in RL ATM though]
I have compiled the kernel though and will give it a test during the day

edit
https://hotfile.com/dl/163612114/bf12f9 ... l.img.html
this works .... for me
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

fhing

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:47 am

Very impressive to the performance improvement. But how can I disable the screen saver in the GUI? My screen goes black after 15-20 minutes of inactivity. The LCD monitor is not in the sleep mode (so it seems not to be a power-saving issue).
I have tried the following command but it does not work

setterm -blank 0 -powersave off -powerdown 0 

RaTTuS

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:03 am

there will be a screen saver in X ...
somewhere ....
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

ren41

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:30 pm

you need to set up a password for root, useful if like me you got distracted when on the config screen and put something slightly different from usual in for your pi password!

ren

ren41

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:34 pm

It's running nicely so far thank you, and is much faster than the Wheezy image I installed last week which was horribly slow for some reason. It boots up completely in 20 secs, and takes 10 secs to bring up lxde fully. I'll put /root on a USB drive later and report back on speeds.

ren

MrHarcombe

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:19 pm

Looks great and all, and was very excited to download and try. Sadly, under the new image my USB devices no longer work (a Dell keyboard and a Microsoft mouse - both say they are running on 5v 100mA) :(

Any thoughts? Has the firmware changed? I've not changed anything else other than the OS (from the "old" Wheezy build).

bluseychris

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:56 pm

Just torrented, BT are throttling my upload though after a really goo download. Am looking at an unusually long unzip with the Mac installer script at the moment. Which is annoying as I'd like to be playing a few games at the moment.

jollino

Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:48 pm

asb wrote:
mstombs wrote:I'm afraid rasp-config has again corrupted my config.txt in exactly the same way, but its not fatal. Line 35 becomes
# uncomment for c
with rest of file filled with NULLs
What SD card do you have? Do you see any errors on dmesg? There have been occasionaly reports of corruption of the FAT partition but we haven't yet tracked it down and I'm not currently able to reproduce it locally at all.
I get the same corruption on config.txt, except every time I edit it and reboot, it ends differently (NULLs, other control characters, strings of random printable characters, etc.)
I am using a brand new Lexar 4 GB, class 4 SDHC. I only used this on the Pi with Arch Linux until earlier today, and before flashing the Raspbian image from my Mac I have deleted all the partitions for extra safety.

The weirdest thing is that the file looks perfectly sane if I plug the SD into the Mac. I have edited the file on the Mac (just added a comment at the end) and now it seems to be read correctly every time.

No overclock here, in fact I noticed the problem when I wanted to try to bring it to 800 MHz and saw it wasn't "taking" it as I added the line at the end of the file.

At the end of the boot process I get this:

[   23.799098] mmc0: missed completion of cmd 17 DMA (512/512 [1]/[1]) - ignoring it
[   23.814802] mmc0: DMA IRQ 6 ignored - results were reset
Though it does not always come up, and sometimes it appears more than once. In any case, it seems completely unrelated to whether config.txt is corrupted or not.

(I created a much simpler config.txt containing just the couple of lines I need, and it seems to work. Quite random indeed!)

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:05 pm

MrHarcombe wrote:Looks great and all, and was very excited to download and try. Sadly, under the new image my USB devices no longer work (a Dell keyboard and a Microsoft mouse - both say they are running on 5v 100mA) :(

Any thoughts? Has the firmware changed? I've not changed anything else other than the OS (from the "old" Wheezy build).
I can't think of any reason for this.

Can you confirm you downloaded image linked here:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1605
and wrote the image to sdcard?

Can you retry with a clean Wheezy beta image and check that works.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1435
Then can you run rpi-update and see if that breaks.
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... g_firmware

Need to now if it's a firmware issue, or a wheezy/raspbian issue.

SteveDee

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:26 pm

I've had several attempts to boot with 2012-07-15-wheezy-raspbian today but i get lots of errors like these two:-

ERROR: Id.so: object '/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libcofi_rpi.so'
from /etc/Id.so.preload cannot be preloaded: ignored.

/bin/sh: 1: cannot open /dev/tty1: no such file

I've downloaded 2012-07-15-wheezy-raspbian.zip a couple of times (although the checksum was OK both times) and loaded the image to my SanDisk SDHC C4 8GB SD card four or five times. This SD card works fine with Squeeze, Wheezy & Puppy.

Any ideas?

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:33 pm

SteveDee wrote: /bin/sh: 1: cannot open /dev/tty1: no such file

I've downloaded 2012-07-15-wheezy-raspbian.zip a couple of times (although the checksum was OK both times) and loaded the image to my SanDisk SDHC C4 8GB SD card four or five times. This SD card works fine with Squeeze, Wheezy & Puppy.

Any ideas?
I know you've tried to write the card many times, but a case I've seen bizarre errors like this is if you failed to 'sync' before removing the SD card from your machine (so it wasn't fully written).

Return to “Raspbian”