Lirex

Re: raspberry pi foundation raspbian image

Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:24 pm

The installation was easy. Thanks raspi-config, the default setting is done quickly. I then installed via VLC, but I have neither HDMI nor audio output on the sound. Is there anything to adjust?

mali100

Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:13 pm

Hi,
the image works fine for me, looks very nice.

I noticed that ssh is enabled by default. Is this desired behaviour, especially regarding the openssh host keys?

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:14 pm

Personally I don't think ssh should be enabled by default but since this is the foundation's image that is their call to make not ours.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:16 pm

mali100 wrote:Hi,

I noticed that ssh is enabled by default. Is this desired behaviour, especially regarding the openssh host keys?
raspi-config gives you the option to disable it. The image ships with no ssh host keys, and they are generated on the first boot. I can see the argument for disabling, it's just we had a lot of negative feedback when we tried that as so many people find it helpful to be able to plug in the pi and ssh immediately. Hopefully offering the user the option to both change their password and disable ssh will encourage most to secure their systems when appropriate.

mali100

Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:21 pm

asb wrote:
mali100 wrote:Hi,

raspi-config gives you the option to disable it. The image ships with no ssh host keys, and they are generated on the first boot. I can see the argument for disabling, it's just we had a lot of negative feedback when we tried that as so many people find it helpful to be able to plug in the pi and ssh immediately. Hopefully offering the user the option to both change their password and disable ssh will encourage most to secure their systems when appropriate.
Ok, thanks. I really like that ssh is enabled by default, as I'm using my R-Pi headless. I just wanted to point this out, because in the older raspbian images the keys where included and it was recommended to regenerate them.
SSH enabled, but without preinstalled keys is really a good solution.

mangobrain

Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:10 pm

Grabbing this now regardless, but I do have one quick question: can the firmware be updated using apt-get/aptitude, or is it still using a third-party updater?

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:16 pm

mangobrain wrote:Grabbing this now regardless, but I do have one quick question: can the firmware be updated using apt-get/aptitude, or is it still using a third-party updater?
apt-get upgrade can update the firmware.

chrisw2

Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:35 pm

dom wrote:
mangobrain wrote:Grabbing this now regardless, but I do have one quick question: can the firmware be updated using apt-get/aptitude, or is it still using a third-party updater?
apt-get upgrade can update the firmware.
Are you talking about Raspberry Pi specific firmware? If so, which repository is needed? (I'm pretty sure the Raspbian repository does not include this, at present)

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:44 pm

The foundation have their own repositry which I belive they are using for this stuff. I don't have the url to hand though.

dom

Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:01 pm

I think this is the one:

Code: Select all

cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list 
deb http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ wheezy main

chrisw2

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:12 pm

Thanks Dom & Plugwash

rrolsbe

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:33 pm

Since I did not change the passwords and I am trying to ssh into my Pi running this image (my Lapdock trackpad/keyboard did not work on reboot after enabling ssh etc), can someone please post what the default usernames/passwords are. The keyboard DID work until I rebooted after the initial config. I left the keyboard setting to 105 international (the image default), that should work for US keyboards?

Thanks Very Much In Advance
Regards, Ron

rrolsbe

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:40 pm

Must of fat fingered the password user pi/password raspberry worked. Now to get the LapDock trackpad/keyboard to work.

Regards, Ron

billsmithaustin

Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:58 am

I see /etc/apt/sources.list contains the following:

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian stable main
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main
deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
I assume we want it to contain the lines listed on http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianRepository instead.

wussie

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:31 am

What are the differences between this image, and the one I've downloaded from the raspbian website of the rpi_pisces? I haven't had much chance to play around with my current distro so switching to this wouldn't be a loss, just wondering if I should, or wait for further development. Thank you all for your continued efforts with our community, I know many of you have day jobs and your work here takes up much of your free time.

mstombs

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:14 am

SheepWillPrevail wrote:One thing that doesn't work for me is omxplayer. It recognizes the files properly but doesn't show the video.
The default memory split has only 32MB for GPU, try changing that to 64MB.

After going through all options in the raspi-config, my PI didn't reboot, so going to re-do the SD and retry. I see config,txt is corrupt at least, so i'll redo with last option to update raspi-config first!

TarjeiB

Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:54 am

This is great! Thanks for all your hard work :)

How does this compare to pisces-r3? I've cleaned out all the X stuff, and it has a separate swap partition, but both those are fine with me.

Are there any changes to the SysV init scripts or otherwise settings/optimizations that will differ from pisces-r3 or am I peachy with apt-get upgrade or dist-upgrade?

dom

Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:01 pm

billsmithaustin wrote:I see /etc/apt/sources.list contains the following:

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian stable main
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main
deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
I assume we want it to contain the lines listed on http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianRepository instead.
Not on the new image. It contains:

deb http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy main contrib non-free rpi

Pytlicek

Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:14 pm

Thanks for info :)
Will try it today :geek:

mstombs

Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:29 pm

2nd SD burn, everything working, Blender Movies Big Buck Bunny and Sintel work fine with 64MB allocated to GPU, but see not a lot of free ram with desktop plus Midori!

I'm afraid rasp-config has again corrupted my config.txt in exactly the same way, but its not fatal. Line 35 becomes
# uncomment for c
with rest of file filled with NULLs

blackarchon

Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:30 pm

So a simple apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade really would be enough now for a kernel and a Broadcom library update? No more need for rpi-update?

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:34 pm

mstombs wrote:2nd SD burn, everything working, Blender Movies Big Buck Bunny and Sintel work fine with 64MB allocated to GPU, but see not a lot of free ram with desktop plus Midori!

I'm afraid rasp-config has again corrupted my config.txt in exactly the same way, but its not fatal. Line 35 becomes
# uncomment for c
with rest of file filled with NULLs
What SD card do you have? Do you see any errors on dmesg? There have been occasionaly reports of corruption of the FAT partition but we haven't yet tracked it down and I'm not currently able to reproduce it locally at all.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:36 pm

blackarchon wrote:So a simple apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade really would be enough now for a kernel and a Broadcom library update? No more need for rpi-update?
The firmware/kernel available via apt-get upgrade with the default apt sources will be updated relatively infrequently (every couple of weeks, after any changes have had a good amount of testing). I'll soon be providing an apt source that provides 'bleeding edge' .debs for the kernel and firmware, which will be updated as Dom updated github.com/raspberrypi/firmware. You may prefer to use that in preference to rpi-update. That said, rpi-update will continue to work as before.

nomis05

Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:42 pm

What's included in this image? XServer, LXDE?
I personally would really appreciate something like a minimal/professional official image, where you can install your own window manager if you need it. I prefer e.g. awesome wm for the raspberry. It may also be useful for guys which are new to linux and want to get some more knowledge about setting up a system. I also think having ssh enabled from the beginning is a good thing, because I always first have to setup wifi through ethernet/ssh before i can plug my Pi into the TV.

blackarchon

Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:46 pm

asb wrote:
blackarchon wrote:So a simple apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade really would be enough now for a kernel and a Broadcom library update? No more need for rpi-update?
The firmware/kernel available via apt-get upgrade with the default apt sources will be updated relatively infrequently (every couple of weeks, after any changes have had a good amount of testing). I'll soon be providing an apt source that provides 'bleeding edge' .debs for the kernel and firmware, which will be updated as Dom updated github.com/raspberrypi/firmware. You may prefer to use that in preference to rpi-update. That said, rpi-update will continue to work as before.
Oh thanks, this is nice to hear. :)

Return to “Raspbian”