Alkendi

Re: raspberry pi foundation raspbian image

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:57 pm

Thanks a million folks for all your hard work.
I downloaded the torrent this morning and I am currently seeding.

I used Ubuntu ImageWriter to burn the SD card image and everything works perfectly so far, with one exception:
on first boot I used the config util to resize the partition and it refused to boot, but that was my fault because I powered off before i did the reboot doh!
Having re-done the SD card, I used the config util again and rebooted from the command line and everything functioned properly

Thanks again! mightily impressed with the speed and overall perfomance
The Mirror you fear to see yourself in

SteveDee

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:36 pm

asb wrote:
I know you've tried to write the card many times....
Yeah I did remember the sudo sync bit.

I've just stolen the 4GB card out of my wife's camera (I hope she didn't need those pictures of our grand-daughter) and Raspbian works fine on this (again a SanDisk C4).

I've also re-installed Wheezy Beta to the 8GB SD and that is OK (just doesn't like Raspbian!).

Not sure what this means, if anything.

TarjeiB

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:45 pm

SteveDee wrote: (I hope she didn't need those pictures of our grand-daughter)
Dedication! I love it.

ingestre

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:30 pm

SteveDee wrote:I've had several attempts to boot with 2012-07-15-wheezy-raspbian today but i get lots of errors like these two:-

ERROR: Id.so: object '/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libcofi_rpi.so'
from /etc/Id.so.preload cannot be preloaded: ignored.

/bin/sh: 1: cannot open /dev/tty1: no such file

I've downloaded 2012-07-15-wheezy-raspbian.zip a couple of times (although the checksum was OK both times) and loaded the image to my SanDisk SDHC C4 8GB SD card four or five times. This SD card works fine with Squeeze, Wheezy & Puppy.

Any ideas?
I have a similar (and possibly linked) oddity. I've written the official Raspian image (checked sha1sum and everything) with my netbook (EeePC running stock Xandros), using the command :-

Code: Select all

dd bs=128k if=2012-07-15-wheezy-raspbian.img of=/dev/sdb
This worked great, and I then thought I'd modify it on the eeepc to set the initial IP address. So I type the command

mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt
and I get

mount: you must specify the filesystem type
upon inspection of dmesg I see the following

[519807.231322] FAT-fs (sdb2): bogus number of reserved sectors
[519807.231344] FAT-fs (sdb2): Can't find a valid FAT filesystem
[519807.243651] hfs: can't find a HFS filesystem on dev sdb2.
[519807.254554] VFS: Can't find a Minix filesystem V1 | V2 | V3 on device sdb2.
[519807.260542] REISERFS warning (device sdb2): sh-2021 reiserfs_fill_super: can not find reiserfs on sdb2
[519807.278812] EXT3-fs (sdb2): error: can't find ext3 filesystem on dev sdb2.
[519807.298689] EXT4-fs (sdb2): VFS: Can't find ext4 filesystem
[519807.303083] EXT4-fs (sdb2): VFS: Can't find ext4 filesystem
[519807.415167] ISOFS: Unable to identify CD-ROM format.
This indicates to me that the filesystem is corrupt somehow, but I don't see how this can be.
I've yet to see if the image boots on my pi (time constraints) but the messages so far indicate that it will not.
Any ideas?

MrHarcombe

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:18 pm

dom wrote:
MrHarcombe wrote:Looks great and all, and was very excited to download and try. Sadly, under the new image my USB devices no longer work (a Dell keyboard and a Microsoft mouse - both say they are running on 5v 100mA) :(

Any thoughts? Has the firmware changed? I've not changed anything else other than the OS (from the "old" Wheezy build).
I can't think of any reason for this.

Can you confirm you downloaded image linked here:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1605
and wrote the image to sdcard?

Can you retry with a clean Wheezy beta image and check that works.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1435
Then can you run rpi-update and see if that breaks.
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... g_firmware

Need to now if it's a firmware issue, or a wheezy/raspbian issue.
I can confirm I did download from the linked image and used Win32DiskImage utility to write the image to the SDcard. But, now I'm disturbed that my previous beta image no longer works, nor does a clean Wheezy beta. Wondering what I've managed to do?

rolgiati

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:23 pm

I may be specially dense, or it might due to being used to Mandrake / Mandriva / Mageia, but I have not been able to find where / how to configure networking in Raspbian; HELP !
Cheers,
Ron, on the banks of the Paraguay River.

tenochtitlanuk

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:52 pm

Blew this today to replace the pre-release version & very impressed. Thanks & well done.
Added various bits of software, & deleted various files, then found I'm getting errors when I try to empty the deleted files folder- 'operation not supported'. Anyone else seen this?

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:06 pm

MrHarcombe wrote:I can confirm I did download from the linked image and used Win32DiskImage utility to write the image to the SDcard. But, now I'm disturbed that my previous beta image no longer works, nor does a clean Wheezy beta. Wondering what I've managed to do?
Do you have another sdcard to try? Maybe it has given up the ghost.
Anything else changed in your setup? You're using the same power supply and power cable? Same USB devices?

exartemarte

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:38 pm

Wow! I've booted into the new image and it looks good. It's much faster - I'm using Midori to post this, which I wouldn't have had the patience to do under Squeeze.

So far so good, but the desktop is nor really what I use my Pi for. Next I need Samba, and wiringPi... (wiringPi because my current robot arm project involves gpio control from C, and Samba so I can work from pc or laptop using my favourite editor. And simple file management.)

A big thank you to the team who have put in all the work to make this happen!

dirtyburger

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:42 pm

rolgiati wrote:I may be specially dense, or it might due to being used to Mandrake / Mandriva / Mageia, but I have not been able to find where / how to configure networking in Raspbian; HELP !
Cheers,
Ron, on the banks of the Paraguay River.
I don't think there is a non-cli way to do it, I used sudo apt-get install wicd which has a gui and worked well, hope this helps.

computerpie

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:50 pm

Just loaded and it booted, updated great. Big improvement over Squeeze.
The first thing I noticed is my cpu is't pegging at 100%.
On Squeeze I browse to cnn.com and my cpu would stay at or close to 100%. Now it pegs up but comes right back to norm..

Great work. Thanks guys.
Pi1>OS: Rasbian Pi2>OS:Xbian .63
1:HDMI>>DVI>>Flat Screen Monitor
2: HDMI>>Toshiba 37" LCD
1:ASUS Wired USB Keyboard and Mouse
2:Logitech wireless mouse, CEC remote
SanDisk SDHC C4 8GB SD

rolgiati

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:04 pm

dirtyburger wrote: I don't think there is a non-cli way to do it, I used sudo apt-get install wicd which has a gui and worked well, hope this helps.
Thanks, but of course the problem is how to use apt-get before the network is working !
Is there somewhere a how-to for CLI network config ?
Ron.

chrisw2

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:14 pm

rolgiati wrote: Thanks, but of course the problem is how to use apt-get before the network is working !
Ron.
http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration

dirtyburger

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:05 am

rolgiati wrote:
dirtyburger wrote: I don't think there is a non-cli way to do it, I used sudo apt-get install wicd which has a gui and worked well, hope this helps.
Thanks, but of course the problem is how to use apt-get before the network is working !
Ron.
Doh! Sorry my bad, I was doing it from ethernet, to configure wifi! :oops: :mrgreen:

SteveDee

Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:42 am

Having problems with webcams. This one:-

ID: 0c45:62c0 Microdia Sonix 2.0 camera

...is capable of 1280x1024 on Lubuntu, only manages [up to] 352x288 on RPi Wheezy-Beta, but does not run at any resolution on Raspbian.

Using guvcview from a terminal, I get some message like 'v4l2 unable to open stream'

Looks like Raspbian is loading the same drivers as wheezy (e.g. uvcvideo) and libv4l-0 is installed.

Any ideas? Anyone running a webcam on Raspbian?

MrHarcombe

Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:48 am

dom wrote:
MrHarcombe wrote:I can confirm I did download from the linked image and used Win32DiskImage utility to write the image to the SDcard. But, now I'm disturbed that my previous beta image no longer works, nor does a clean Wheezy beta. Wondering what I've managed to do?
Anything else changed in your setup? You're using the same power supply and power cable? Same USB devices?
Have tried two different SD cards with fresh images. Also noticed the network link isn't lighting up on the hub, so tried a new cable. Other than that, same PSU, same keyboard/mouse as was working previously. Am beginning to think I've borked it up good and proper...

nicknml

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:06 pm

Do you still need to run rpi-update to get the latest firmware updates or can you just use apt-get?

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:09 pm

nicknml wrote:Do you still need to run rpi-update to get the latest firmware updates or can you just use apt-get?
I'll add a automatically updated 'bleeding edge' repo this weekend. Stable firmware updates will be delivered via apt-get update && apt-get upgrade. One this bleeding edge repo is up you can keep up to date with the latest builds that way. In the mean time, rpi-update is fine.

chrisw2

Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:18 pm

asb wrote:
nicknml wrote:Do you still need to run rpi-update to get the latest firmware updates or can you just use apt-get?
I'll add a automatically updated 'bleeding edge' repo this weekend. Stable firmware updates will be delivered via apt-get update && apt-get upgrade. One this bleeding edge repo is up you can keep up to date with the latest builds that way. In the mean time, rpi-update is fine.
Hi Asb,

When the bleeding edge repo is ready will you post the details in this thread? or elsewhere? Not sure where these things are announced.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:08 pm

chrisw2 wrote:
asb wrote:
Hi Asb,

When the bleeding edge repo is ready will you post the details in this thread? or elsewhere? Not sure where these things are announced.
I'll spam it everywhere I can think of, including this thread ;)

TimG

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:36 pm

ingestre wrote:I've written the official Raspian image (checked sha1sum and everything) with my netbook (EeePC running stock Xandros),
[...]
This indicates to me that the filesystem is corrupt somehow, but I don't see how this can be.
Is this a fairly elderly EeePC? It's been a while since I've seen Xandros-based PCs on sale. If your Eee is anything like mine, the SD card reader is not compatible with SDHC cards (ie. anything larger than 2GB). It's insidious, because it doesn't actually report any errors. I'd suggest buying a recent USB card-reader.

exartemarte

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:04 pm

exartemarte wrote:Next I need Samba, and wiringPi...
Samba installed and working, C with wiringPi blinking lights even as we speak - all under Raspbian!

I installed Samba following this tutorial by Simon the Pi Man. He also has instructions for changing the name (which should be simple but isn't) - very timely since my second Pi arrived today.

I'm a happy bunny.

mpthompson

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:38 pm

exartemarte wrote:I installed Samba following this tutorial by Simon the Pi Man. He also has instructions for changing the name (which should be simple but isn't) - very timely since my second Pi arrived today.

I'm a happy bunny.
It's pleasing to hear some people are having good luck with the Raspbian distribution. Thank you for posting your progress.

rolgiati

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:52 pm

[quote="TimG"]Is this a fairly elderly EeePC? It's been a while since I've seen Xandros-based PCs on sale. If your Eee is anything like mine, the SD card reader is [i]not [/i]compatible with SDHC cards (ie. anything larger than 2GB). It's insidious, because it doesn't actually report any errors. I'd suggest buying a recent USB card-reader.[/quote]
Funny, I am typing this on an EeePC701, running Mageia 1 from an 8Gb sd card...

MrHarcombe

Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:24 pm

MrHarcombe wrote:
dom wrote:
Have tried two different SD cards with fresh images. Also noticed the network link isn't lighting up on the hub, so tried a new cable. Other than that, same PSU, same keyboard/mouse as was working previously. Am beginning to think I've borked it up good and proper...
FWIW, wanting to eliminate PSU issues from the pool, I put a multimeter across TP1&TP2 as suggested on the troubleshooting guide and saw no less than 4.95v - so I'm fairly sure that's not the problem. Any other thoughts? I'm getting rather depressed, now :(

Return to “Raspbian”