plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

raspberry pi foundation raspbian image

Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:14 pm

You can now download the raspbian image asb has prepared for the raspberry pi foundation from.

http://plugwash.raspbian.org/2012-07-15 ... ip.torrent

I'm posting this here so that the regulars can give it a go before it goes on the front page.

http downloads will be made available when the official announcement is made. For now it's bittorrent only.

cross-keys

Re: raspberry pi foundation raspbian image

Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:47 pm

Where's the 'like' button? ;)

Seriously - well done to you, Mike(mpthompson), asb, and any others involved in this!

Wazza

Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:47 pm

Has anyone managed to download this?
I'm getting the error "Could no connect to tracker" in Transmission

Edit: Also, thanks :) I'm very excited about this release!

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:53 pm

Yes at least according to the tracker and the seed people are downloading it sucessfully.

I was having problems with IPv6 support in the bittornado tracker so I disabled IPv6 on the tracker but forgot to remove the corresponding dns entry. This may be causing connection problems for some clients on IPv6 enabled machines.

I've removed the dns entry now but like with any dns change it may take a while to dissapear from caches.

If your client lets you manually add a tracker try adding 89.16.177.90:8000

Wazza

Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:58 pm

Seems to be fine now, I'm seeing seeds :D

Montala

Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:06 pm

Probably unreasonably so, but I have a distrust of all bittorrent downloads, and think it's a shame that an HTML download link couldn't also have been included.

Never mind... I will just have to keep my eyes open! ;)

ejsolutions

Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:08 pm

Thanks. Downloading now and will try later..

Mortimer

Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:12 pm

+1 for Montala's comment. Apart from a distrust of Bittorent, I get miserable download rates with Bittorent in comparison to a normal HTML download.
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:15 pm

Mortimer wrote:+1 for Montala's comment. Apart from a distrust of Bittorent, I get miserable download rates with Bittorent in comparison to a normal HTML download.
It's going to be on the Raspberry Pi mirror network very soon, plugwash just wanted to give the Raspbian regulars a sneak peek.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:18 pm

Montala wrote:Probably unreasonably so, but I have a distrust of all bittorrent downloads
Unless you are worried about pissing off your internet provider or somesuch there is no reason to be distrustful of bittorrent. The system is designed to use cryptographically secure hashing to ensure that what you get is what was specified in the torrent file.

Mortimer

Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:21 pm

Cool I shall wait. :mrgreen:
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

Lirex

Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:25 pm

Thank you have just downloaded the torrent and seeding now.

niko1986

Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:45 pm

Downloading and will seed :D

Is there a changelog or details on what packages are included?

And a big thanks to everyone involved in making raspbian what it is!

fos

Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:51 pm

Thanks for all of your hard work. I hope to give raspbian a try this evening.

fos
https://faroutscience.com

Montala

Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:16 pm

plugwash wrote:
Montala wrote:Probably unreasonably so, but I have a distrust of all bittorrent downloads
Unless you are worried about pissing off your internet provider or somesuch there is no reason to be distrustful of bittorrent. The system is designed to use cryptographically secure hashing to ensure that what you get is what was specified in the torrent file.
I am certainly not worried about p***ing off BT... they have messed me around enough times already!

Neither do I wish to sound ungrateful about the offer either, but (like a lot of other folk I think) I still associate torrent downloads with ripped off and pirated music and video files, although I do accept what you are saying.

I have been very impressed with the progress made on Raspbian, and will look forward to trying out the latest 'official' image in due course.

SheepWillPrevail

Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:20 pm

Thanks for this! I've added a torrent seed.

obarthelemy

Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:32 pm

Mortimer wrote:Apart from a distrust of Bittorent, I get miserable download rates with Bittorent in comparison to a normal HTML download.
That's entirely dependent on how much the HTML site is willing to pay for bandwidth, vs how selfish torrenters are (do they seed ?) and how miserly your ISP is (do they throttle torrents ?).

The big advantage of torrents is that they scale for thousands of downloaders, and they cost nothing to the original host/seeder.

RaTTuS

Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:41 pm

Montala wrote: Neither do I wish to sound ungrateful about the offer either, but (like a lot of other folk I think) I still associate torrent downloads with ripped off and pirated music and video files, although I do accept what you are saying.

I have been very impressed with the progress made on Raspbian, and will look forward to trying out the latest 'official' image in due course.
just because you associate torrents with pirated stuff does not make it bad
torrent delivery is an excellent use of distributed technologies
please see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent
for more info
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

SheepWillPrevail

Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:00 pm

Installation went fine. Performance is notably better in DosBox :)

One thing that doesn't work for me is omxplayer. It recognizes the files properly but doesn't show the video. On the 'Video codec omx-h264...' line it now says 'profile 100' no matter which file I try. I remember that with the official Debian distribution it would output expected values (3.0, 4.1, whatever). No errors are shown (dmesg, /var/log/messages, etc.).

ejsolutions

Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:02 pm

Initial impressions.
Looking pretty polished so far. :)
I like the startup going to raspi-config, though wonder if a short explanation to use tab, arrows, enter might be useful. Some great options are included in there.
I notice the use of a swapfile. ;)
I notice the inclusion of both Midori and Dillo and, brilliantly Scratch & Squeek.
Additionally, there a good selection of icons in the task bar and the menu is 'clean'.
X is now starting up amazingly quick compared to what I've seen up to now.
A few stray packages have been left: an apt-get clean cleared ~ 33Mb

Now to get wireless operational: what's the concensus, wicd or network-manager?
A samba browser might be a useful inclusion for the Windoze masses (also making NAS connectivity so much quicker).
Later.

EJ

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:20 pm

ejsolutions wrote: I notice the use of a swapfile. ;)
I notice the inclusion of both Midori and Dillo and, brilliantly Scratch & Squeek.
Additionally, there a good selection of icons in the task bar and the menu is 'clean'.
X is now starting up amazingly quick compared to what I've seen up to now.
A few stray packages have been left: an apt-get clean cleared ~ 33Mb
Thanks for sharing your impressions. Yes, a swapfile is enabled (easier to manage however you want to than with a swap partition). Swappiness is set very low, and you can easily turn it off if you don't like its presence. There actually aren't any stray packages. apt-get clean will delete /var/cache/apt/pkgcache.bin and /var/cache/apt/srcpkgcache.bin but these will simply be regenerated next time you use apt.

Mortimer

Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:36 pm

obarthelemy wrote:
Mortimer wrote:Apart from a distrust of Bittorent, I get miserable download rates with Bittorent in comparison to a normal HTML download.
That's entirely dependent on how much the HTML site is willing to pay for bandwidth, vs how selfish torrenters are (do they seed ?) and how miserly your ISP is (do they throttle torrents ?).

The big advantage of torrents is that they scale for thousands of downloaders, and they cost nothing to the original host/seeder.
I understand what torrents are, and what the benefits are 'supposed' to be, and despite my mistrust of them do still use them on occasion when there is clearly not going to be an alternative method. What I have found is that bittorrents are routinely slower for download via my ISP (BT Total Broadband) than direct downloads.
--------------

lintweaker

Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:47 pm

Download was mega quick. Will seed for a while. Thanks!

piglet

Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:46 pm

lintweaker wrote:Download was mega quick. Will seed for a while. Thanks!
34k/s here. :/

*edit* 19k.sec and now uploading faster than downloading...

*edit* 9k/s and dropping

mpthompson

Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:53 pm

Montala wrote:Neither do I wish to sound ungrateful about the offer either, but (like a lot of other folk I think) I still associate torrent downloads with ripped off and pirated music and video files, although I do accept what you are saying.
Montala, I can appreciate your feelings about torrents in this regard. However, it's important to understand that peer to peer technologies have legitimate and important roles in free software development. For instance, it makes possible the efficient distribution of large Linux images that would otherwise crush web servers that most regular people have available them or minimize bandwidth in situations where a person can't afford 100s of gigabytes of bandwidth each moth. Just as an automobile can be used as the getaway-car in a bank robbery, an automobile can be utilized as an ambulance to save lives. It's the application of technology that can be good or bad, not the technology itself.

Hopefully, if more people become exposed to uses of torrents outside of content piracy, they'll understand why it's bad when ISPs attempt to ban or throttle torrent traffic. They may be killing perfectly good/legitimate activities such as what Plugwash and I did with Raspbian.

I'll get off my soapbox now. :)

Return to “Raspbian”