peba

Bug reporting in Raspbian

Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:02 pm

Hello,
Is the reporting of bugs using the reportbug application like in debian supported in the Raspbian distribution ?

mpthompson

Re: Bug reporting in Raspbian

Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:16 pm

Unfortunately, not at this time. For now, issues you may have with Raspbian are best addressed in this forum or the IRC channel where we'll try to help people out as best we can. Plugwash and I try our best to figure out which problems really are Raspbian specific and we'll look at those as time permits. Overall, I think we've been fairly responsive. For more general issues that are applicable to the Foundation kernel, Debian or Linux in overall we try to let others in the community answer those.

I have tried to get a bug base for Raspbian going at the following URL:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/raspbian

However, its still not well utilized and we'll probably have to redouble our efforts to get bugs reported and up to date in the bug base.

peba

Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:49 pm

I like to encourage Raspbian users to write bug reports. I will put this information in a german book about the Raspberry Pi. So I will write that it is best to use the forum and the IRC channel.

Thank You
Peter
[email protected]

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:14 pm

My advice if you find a bug would be to try with debian armel and see if you can reproduce it there. If you can then report it to debian, if you can't then report it to us.

peba

Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:20 pm

@plugwash So now the armel image is no longer available for download. So how can I check against Debian 6 stable ? It would be good to keep Debian 6 as a reference image for download.

Do we have a chance now to get reportbug working with raspbian ?
Last edited by peba on Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:24 pm

peba wrote:@plugwash So now the armel image is no longer available for download. So how can I check against Debian 6 stable ?
You want to be comparing against armel wheezy (so it's closest to comparing like with like). That is available at http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1435

peba

Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:36 pm

Would it be possible to place a link on the downloads page where someone could find older versions.
I think this would be useful.

Thank You,
Peter

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:09 pm

peba wrote:Would it be possible to place a link on the downloads page where someone could find older versions.
I think this would be useful.

Thank You,
Peter
The download page needs refreshing. I want to update my armel image and spit out some minimal images (taken from earlier in the image preparation process). I'll look into it this weekend and discuss with the others what should be done.

pithonica

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:39 pm

" I'll look into it this weekend and discuss with the others what should be done."

Thanks. I know the Foundation will only support whatever they are currently recommending, but it would be great to know where to pick up older work.

superpat999

Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:29 am

Hi,

The number and rate of replies in the Raspbian forum are swamping any problems raised here.

The chances of even noticing a bug type problem post are very small.

It is time for Raspbian to get a bit more formal.

Why not put a sticky at the top of the forum, asking for bugs to be entered by raising a bug report.

Put a pointer to the bug reporting system, (and maybe a how to), on the down load page.

Thanks for an excellent distribution, I have only found one problem, already reported as a bug ;)

cheers

Patrick

mpthompson

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:02 pm

Patrick, we are getting a bit swamped. I'll look at implementing your suggestion over the weekend with a sticky at the top of the forum. The thing is that here in the forums an issue is much more likely to be spotted by someone else that may know how to solve it which leads to people posting issues here.

Return to “Raspbian”