Ed Raket

Hard-float and repository?

Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:51 am

Probably a dumb question, but can raspbian use (run) programs from the normal debian repository or can it only run programs coded/optimised for raspbian (hard-float)?

mpthompson

Re: Hard-float and repository?

Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:59 pm

Ed Raket wrote:Probably a dumb question, but can raspbian use (run) programs from the normal debian repository or can it only run programs coded/optimised for raspbian (hard-float)?
Not a dumb question at all. Basically, the answer is a qualified "No". I say qualified, because if you really know what you are doing and can deal with recovering your Raspberry Pi from an unbootable state, you may be able to get select Debian armel packages working with the Raspberry Pi. However, for practical purposes, Debian packages cannot and should not be used on the Raspberry Pi.

The link in our FAQ hints at how this can be done with Debian armel packages using multiarch, but in practice, it's probably not worth the risk of turning your file system into something that will no longer boot.

For Debian armhf packages, those packages have been compiled for armv7-vfpv3-thumb2 instructions and will almost certainly not run on the armv6-vfp CPU in the Raspberry Pi. Its possible a few packages don't actually use armv7 instructions and would run on the Raspberry Pi, but it's impossible to tell which of the 18,000+ architecture specific packages might indeed run for this reason.

Ed Raket

Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:13 am

O.k. thank's for explaining !

brainsys

Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:53 am

In other words - if you want a general purpose RPi - probably best go with Debian Wheezy. If you are going to use your RPi for a specific purpose and performance is an issue, and the software is supported, then go Raspbian?

That's why I just ordered two - horses for courses ;-)

Hoping I got that right ...

cross-keys

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:17 am

brainsys wrote:In other words - if you want a general purpose RPi - probably best go with Debian Wheezy. If you are going to use your RPi for a specific purpose and performance is an issue, and the software is supported, then go Raspbian?

That's why I just ordered two - horses for courses ;-)

Hoping I got that right ...
My understanding is that there are now three Debian ports - armel (official), armhf (official) and the unofficial (ie not maintained by the Debian project) RPi-optimised armhf port, which has been named 'Raspbian'.

Raspbian is based on Wheezy, so in my book that would be the one to go for.

You can use armel (official) if you want and it will work. You can't use armhf (official) as the RPi CPU does not support all the instructions used.

What were you planning to install on your 'general-purpose' RPi?

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:50 am

In general I'd say go with raspbian unless there is specific software you need that isn't available for it (and please do tell us what that software is so we can take a look)

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:51 am

plugwash wrote:In general I'd say go with raspbian unless there is specific software you need that isn't available for it (and please do tell us what that software is so we can take a look)
I will echo this :)

ferrymanr

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:52 pm

Whilst trying to install some software that uses gfortran and python I received errors that seem to suggest python-numpy is incomplete. I ran apt-get install python-numpy and it failed to fetch at least one part:-

Failed to fetch http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian/po ... _armhf.deb 404 Not Found [IP: 89.16.177.90 80]

I guess that the repository is as yet incomplete. I think this package is in the 'dists/testing' tree at present. I wonder whether there is an alternative source of the armhf version.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:22 pm

have you run apt-get update? usually when you get 404 errors from apt it means your package lists are out of date.

ferrymanr

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:24 am

Tried updating. Seems that it needs to be done before any install as it changes every few hours! Now making progress but no more ''playing' with raspbian today - it's my forty-something wedding anniversary! (When I got married it was Fortran, punched cards and fighting for time on an IBM System/360 mainframe).

mpthompson

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:26 pm

ferrymanr wrote:Tried updating. Seems that it needs to be done before any install as it changes every few hours!
Whenever you use "apt-get" it's probably a pretty good idea to do an "apt-get update" first. Updates to the repository should be slowing down a bit now. Up until about three days ago, there was a rush to get a lot of packages into Debian Wheezy before the freeze occurred (a necessary step for Wheezy to become the new Debian stable). Anywhere between 80 to 120 packages were being updated a day and had to be rebuilt for the Raspberry Pi. At this time, we are now seeing less than a dozen packages a day be updated from Debian and I suspect it will get even slower.

Return to “Raspbian”