adama

Binaries for XBMC and Quake 3 (with sound!)

Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:36 pm

Evening all,

I've put together some tars of the XBMC and Quake 3 binaries for Raspbian/hardfp as they didn't seem to be readily available and compiling them can be pretty time consuming.

http://www.memetic.org/quake-3-with-sou ... pberry-pi/

http://www.memetic.org/pre-compiled-xbmc-for-raspbian/

adam.

Julian

Re: Binaries for XBMC and Quake 3 (with sound!)

Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:28 pm

Thank you very much adam
I compiled quake3 a view days ago but didn't try it because it had no sound. I also wanted to try out xbmc but compiling 24h is to long (my RPi crashes from time to time and I haven't found the cause yet). I definitely will check out your builds later.

krafte

Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:50 pm

Thx for the binaries!

When I try to start it i get:
GLimp_Init() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

Whats missing?

I'm running the hexxeh Image.

urbanus

Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:00 pm

Run this, it might help:

Code: Select all

sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libEGL.so /usr/lib/libEGL.so
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libEGL.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libEGL.so
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libEGL.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libEGL.so.1
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libEGL_static.a /usr/lib/libEGL_static.a
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libEGL_static.a /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libEGL_static.a
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libGLESv2.so /usr/lib/libGLESv2.so
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libGLESv2.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libGLESv2.so
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libGLESv2.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libGLESv2.so.2
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libGLESv2_static.a /usr/lib/libGLESv2_static.a
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libGLESv2_static.a /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libGLESv2_static.a
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libbcm_host.so /usr/lib/libbcm_host.so
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libbcm_host.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libbcm_host.so
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libvchiq_arm.a /usr/lib/libvchiq_arm.a
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libvchiq_arm.a /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libvchiq_arm.a
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libvchiq_arm.so /usr/lib/libvchiq_arm.so
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libvchiq_arm.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libvchiq_arm.so
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libvcos.a /usr/lib/libvcos.a
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libvcos.a /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libvcos.a
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libvcos.so /usr/lib/libvcos.so
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libvcos.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libvcos.so

adama

Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:36 am

Far better to point the OS at the libraries properly, if they're present:

echo "/opt/vc/lib" > /etc/ld.so.conf.d/01_broadcom.conf
ldconfig

The Hexxeh image might need some other packages too. I've updated the post with all of the packages needed to run the XBMC binaries.

adam.

krafte

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:08 am

Thx that helped.

For q3 I had also to edit the autoexec.cgf and lower the value of com_hunkMegs to 96.
I'm using the 128/128 split image.

niko1986

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:22 am

Thank for the binaries. XBMC works pretty well, though it has crashed quite a few times even when just navigating menu's. And consistently freezes when loading the get more addons list, I haven't had chance to get any logs but I'll get some tonight.

Not sure if this is normal but with a clean install of pisces r3, with a wifi dongle and xbmc running just on a menu im getting cpu utilisation of over 80%.

More than likely a problem with xbmc and the rpi than your build but do you have any tips on getting it running more smoothly?

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:03 am

niko1986 wrote:Thank for the binaries. XBMC works pretty well, though it has crashed quite a few times even when just navigating menu's. And consistently freezes when loading the get more addons list, I haven't had chance to get any logs but I'll get some tonight.

Not sure if this is normal but with a clean install of pisces r3, with a wifi dongle and xbmc running just on a menu im getting cpu utilisation of over 80%.

More than likely a problem with xbmc and the rpi than your build but do you have any tips on getting it running more smoothly?
Sounds like a power supply issue. Is the wifi connected through a powered hub?

niko1986

Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:43 am

dom wrote: Sounds like a power supply issue. Is the wifi connected through a powered hub?
Right now it isn't. Because it has been working fine running headerless with the wifi dongle it didn't come to mind to try it in the hub.

I'll try that out once home, thanks.

adama

Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:51 am

When running XBMC your RPi is using more power than it ever has, XBMC uses quite a lot of CPU power just idling, as it has a loop which redraws the screen (apparently a hangover from the Xbox), it's also using the GPU 3d core, and whilst playing media it's also using the h.264 decoder. I find that my maximum stable overclock running XBMC is 150MHz lower than when benchmarking, compiling or running X, which seems to be because this pushes the power usage too high and the power supply gets unstable.

I can imagine that the extra power usage will be even more of a problem if you're powering keyboards and mice from the RPi.

adam.

Dilligaf

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:19 am

The problem is XBMC was written for the Xbox and draws the screen like a video game using a lot of processing power.
Make a file called advancedsettings.xml and put it in /home/<username>/.xbmc/userdata copy and paste the following into the file and give read access to all

<advancedsettings>
<network>
 <cachemembuffersize>5282880</cachemembuffersize>
</network>

<fanartheight>560</fanartheight>

<thumbsize>256</thumbsize>

<gui>
 <algorithmdirtyregions>3</algorithmdirtyregions>
 <nofliptimeout>0</nofliptimeout>
</gui>

<lookandfeel>
       <enablerssfeeds>false</enablerssfeeds>
   </lookandfeel>

<bginfoloadermaxthreads>2</bginfoloadermaxthreads>

<videolibrary>

<recentlyaddeditems>50</recentlyaddeditems>

</videolibrary>

</advancedsettings> 

papyreno

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:37 am

Hello, thanks for the binaries!

Unfortunatly, XBMC doesn't work for me... I've followed the installation steps, all worked great. The I launched XBMC and it appears that all my USB peripherals are not recognized anymore (keyboard, mouse, network, external HDD, ...). The only way to exit is to power off the Raspberry Pi.

Has someone already faced this issue? Any idea to solve it?

Thanks in advance!

adama

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:50 am

papyreno wrote:Hello, thanks for the binaries!

Unfortunatly, XBMC doesn't work for me... I've followed the installation steps, all worked great. The I launched XBMC and it appears that all my USB peripherals are not recognized anymore (keyboard, mouse, network, external HDD, ...). The only way to exit is to power off the Raspberry Pi.

Thanks in advance!
This is because your power supply is not good enough. When the Pi powers up the GPU the USB dies.

adama

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:51 am

adama wrote:

Thanks in advance!
This is because your power supply is not good enough. When the Pi powers up the GPU the USB dies.
Alternatively, you may be overclocked. XBMC makes heavy use of the GPU and will crash in configurations where the Pi has worked in complete stability for days.

robotfunk

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:02 pm

Thanks for the effort that went into these!

I am having some problems playing videos though, everything I play yields black & white noise instead of a viewable movie. The noise changes over time so it appears something is being decoded, but it is beyond recognition. OMXPlayer is playing the same videos nicely... Any ideas are more than welcome.

wussie

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:08 pm

I've ran into a bit of a problem with XBMC. After trying to run it, I received and error saying I don't have proper graphics drivers. What did I miss?

tomaz

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:06 pm

Thanks in advance!
Hi papyreno,

it could be power problem as people suggested, but you can try running xbmc as root (sudo). I remember helped me.

Tomaz.

jonty789

Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:48 pm

Hi correct me if i am wrong but I thought Quake 3 is a paid software? I have downloaded it and it ask me for CD key but i just click on enter and it works?

jonty789

Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:49 pm

hi is my post working?

robin48gx

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:49 am

Quake 3 was released open source some time back, the maps from the original game
as still owned by (ID?) but if you have a CD key you can use them --- or --- you can use open source ones developed by fans.

I got quake3 running last night (well actually I started doing it, then went off to ceroc and my son compiled it and got it to cd key stage). I found it a bit laggy.
I mean I am used to being able to hear a bot running up the stairs and blasting the stairwell where said bot will come out with plasma/rockets, and the pi was not quick enough for my game play... maybe I need to alter the settings and get a better frame rate.... I usually play it on an AMD dual with a 1G Nvidia card on unbuntu.... or Windoze XP...

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:10 am

jonty789 wrote:Hi correct me if i am wrong but I thought Quake 3 is a paid software?
AIUI with the quake series.

The code is now released under the GPL.
The shareware version data is freely downloadable but you aren't really supposed to use it for anything except evaulating whether you want to buy the full version.
The full data has to be paid for.

It is also possible to use fan-made data, e.g. openarena.

john.mills

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:30 pm

@robin48gx: I think there is just a small difference between the system you use to play Quake 3 on Ubuntu and the Pi. Your video card alone has 4X the RAM of the Pi. I would suggest you try some overclocking if that is your thing. Adama has some information that might help you in this forum thread.

BiNMaN

Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:38 am

urbanus wrote:Run this, it might help:

sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libEGL.so /usr/lib/libEGL.so
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libEGL.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libEGL.so
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libEGL.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libEGL.so.1
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libEGL_static.a /usr/lib/libEGL_static.a
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libEGL_static.a /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libEGL_static.a
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libGLESv2.so /usr/lib/libGLESv2.so
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libGLESv2.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libGLESv2.so
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libGLESv2.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libGLESv2.so.2
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libGLESv2_static.a /usr/lib/libGLESv2_static.a
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libGLESv2_static.a /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libGLESv2_static.a
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libbcm_host.so /usr/lib/libbcm_host.so
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libbcm_host.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libbcm_host.so
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libvchiq_arm.a /usr/lib/libvchiq_arm.a
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libvchiq_arm.a /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libvchiq_arm.a
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libvchiq_arm.so /usr/lib/libvchiq_arm.so
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libvchiq_arm.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libvchiq_arm.so
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libvcos.a /usr/lib/libvcos.a
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libvcos.a /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libvcos.a
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libvcos.so /usr/lib/libvcos.so
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libvcos.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libvcos.so

tried this all I get is a white screen and it locks up my pi

Nitrogen

Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:30 pm

Thanks for the Quake, though i must mention it sends my raspi into reboot every time i try to play a timedemo. Tried both 192 and 128 memsplit aswell as suggested hunkMegs setting. It does load into actual gameplay, but goes only 1 to 5 seconds far. Wonder if i can obtain some logs somewhere?
Raspberry Pi Model B
Linux raspberrypi 3.18.4+ #743 PREEMPT Wed Jan 28 17:14:53 GMT 2015 armv6l GNU/Linux

dom

Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:05 pm

Nitrogen wrote:Thanks for the Quake, though i must mention it sends my raspi into reboot every time i try to play a timedemo. Tried both 192 and 128 memsplit aswell as suggested hunkMegs setting. It does load into actual gameplay, but goes only 1 to 5 seconds far. Wonder if i can obtain some logs somewhere?
Are you overclocking?
If not, it's likely a power supply issue.

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”