hellguide

E17 on Raspbian

Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:11 pm

I have E17 running like OSX in software compositing: it has support for hardware gpu support when the xorg drivers are finished. I am most thankful of Mike Thompson for building a rock solid foundation. I plan to roll out my own distribution once that driver becomes available to hook in to E17. Right now it supports the APIs for touch screen interfaces and desktop. Everything is compiled except for a couple of plugins.

I spent 160+ hours and work night at Godaddy Group so be gentile. :)
http://youtu.be/W3JUiRXcv_U

Thank you in advance. If you like what you see please comment it. :)

john.mills

Re: E17 on Raspbian

Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:52 pm

Hi there,

Firstly thank you for taking the time to do this, it is very important that people see what is possible with Raspbian and the Pi hardware. Did I understand from the video that you are in contact with the Raspberry Pi foundation about this desktop being official?

The more work that people put in like this the better, E17 is a great desktop environment, personally I prefer Gnome 2 but I can appreciate the flexibility and performance of E17. I would encourage you to release your image for testing and feedback to the Raspbian community. The more people see what can be accomplished with the Pi the better.

Do you have any specific goal you wish to accomplish with the release? Are you targeting a general purpose release or is it focused more narrowly on a goal, for example, as an educational release? What applications are you intending to release with E17?

I wish you good luck and look forward to trying your desktop soon! :D

Regards,

John

jerry.tk

Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:28 pm

I was using E17 until my SD card got corrupted the other day. Seemed pretty smooth and low memory footprint although it took some time to configure it right. I had it installed straight from Raspbian repo. Well worth looking into, but seems to be less popular than other window managers for some reason.

mpthompson

Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:12 pm

jerry.tk wrote:I was using E17 until my SD card got corrupted the other day. Seemed pretty smooth and low memory footprint although it took some time to configure it right. I had it installed straight from Raspbian repo. Well worth looking into, but seems to be less popular than other window managers for some reason.
Yeah, it does look that E17 is already in Debian Wheezy (and therefore Raspbian):

http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/e17

I don't know how recent a version this is though or how it might differ from what hellguide built.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:33 pm

Great I like Enlightenment, ever since I worked with it on gOS Linux (revision 1, later versions used Gnome)!

john.mills

Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:40 am

I second the statement by mahjongg, Enlightenment worked great in gOS.

teh_orph

Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:21 am

Sure you can't go with e16 instead? ;) It runs far better on the accelerated X I've been working on!

jerry.tk

Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:39 am

Accelerated E16 > non-accelerated E17. :)
We already have the latter, the question is where (or when) can we get the former?

masterluke

Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:56 am

teh_orph wrote:Sure you can't go with e16 instead? ;) It runs far better on the accelerated X I've been working on!
Now you're just teasing :D

teh_orph

Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:50 pm

masterluke wrote:
teh_orph wrote:Sure you can't go with e16 instead? ;) It runs far better on the accelerated X I've been working on!
Now you're just teasing :D
Lols, yeah sorry about that ;) But in all honesty wmaker>metacity>e16>>>>e17 in terms of speed.

hellguide

Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:29 pm

Im trying to move this project on to Dark Basics image that is stripped down to the core. Ive installed all the dependencies that I believe are applicable:

Reconfigure locales to set the country:
dpkg-reconfigure locales

Install Cython 0.16 Dependancies:
apt-get install python-dev
wget http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/ ... .16.tar.gz
tar -zxvf Cython-0.16.tar.gz
cd Cython-0.16
python setup.py install
cd ..
rm Cython-0.16.tar.gz
rm -rf Cython-0.16

Install The Rest Of The Needed Packages:
apt-get install build-essential cvs libtool libltdl-dev autotools-dev libpopt-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev libx11-dev x11proto-xext-dev libbz2-dev libid3tag0-dev libpng12-dev libpng3 libtiff4-dev libgif-dev libjpeg8-dev libssl-dev libfreetype6-dev bison flex gettext libimlib2-dev libxml2 libxml2-dev libxcursor-dev libgtk2.0-dev autoconf pkg-config libxine-dev libxkbfile-dev libsqlite3-dev giblib-dev libxmu-dev libxdamage-dev libxcomposite-dev libtag1-dev libtagc0-dev giblib-dev libasound2-dev libxslt1.1 libxslt1-dev libmpd-dev doxygen liblua5.1-0-dev libexif-dev wpasupplicant subversion libudev-dev libdbus-1-dev libxcb-shape0-dev automake1.7 libiptcdata-bin xinit

I run compile however it shows that it looks like I might be missing some library definitions somewhere. Here is the error I am getting.

Running aclocal...
aclocal: macro `_LT_DECL_SED' required but not defined
aclocal: macro `_LT_FUNC_STRIPNAME_CNF' required but not defined

My root folder's .bash_profile(and /etc/skel/.bash_profile) are:
path=/opt/e17/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games:/opt/e17/bin
export PATH="/opt/e17/bin:/opt/X11R7.x/bin:$PATH"
export PYTHONPATH="/opt/e17/lib/python2.7/site-packages:$PYTHONPATH"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/opt/X11R7.x/lib:/opt/e17/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"

It compiles fine under Mark Thompson's image. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.
Best Regards
Colby Shores

mpthompson

Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:03 am

hellguide wrote: Running aclocal...
aclocal: macro `_LT_DECL_SED' required but not defined
aclocal: macro `_LT_FUNC_STRIPNAME_CNF' required but not defined
I believe these may be automake macros. You may want to make sure that you do the following two commands to make sure you are upgraded to the most recent packages.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

If you haven't done this for a while and you don't want to update all the out-of-date packages on your system, you can try just updating automake to the latest version.

hellguide

Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:53 am

Thanks Mark,
I just tried it based on your advice and it still didn't work. Ill research it more online tonight.
Thanks,
Cole

hellguide

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:15 am

Automake1.7 bug, it compiled just fine under 1.7 on your image but it didn't on Dark Basics. Swapping it out for 1.9 for some reason worked.

TheLog

Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:29 pm

I am a complete newbie to the pi and in very simple terms how to I get this on my pi? :D

TheAstronaut

Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:16 pm

Been using the E17 version from the Raspbian repo, got it to run but could not figure out how to disable the default Openbox environment. Anyone here know how to do that?

Return to “Raspbian”