diederik

Re: Raspbian released on 2015-05-05

Sat May 09, 2015 6:36 pm

rubikwizard wrote:
I see in your screenshot both wlan0 and wlan1. Is that correct?
I only have a single wireless dongle plugged into a USB slot.
Then I'd investigate why that is if I were you.
At first I'd check '/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules' (if it exists) and do 'sudo ifconfig -a'.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Sat May 09, 2015 6:40 pm

rubikwizard wrote:The new image will not auto-mount entries in the fstab file. I have a network shared drive which always auto-mounted during startup but since the update to the gui and also the new image it will not work. I think it is trying to auto mount before the network is connected.

Once started the drive can be mounted with a manual sudo mount -a.
I'd recommend uninstalling raspberrypi-net-mods and restoring the backup of /etc/network/interfaces in that scenario.

The new /etc/network/interfaces has wlan0 and wlan1 listed in it and set to auto, so even if you don't have/want/need 2 wifi dongles plugged in, the error message will pop up. It would probably be a good idea to investigate why net mounts fail as a result.

ShiftPlusOne

Sat May 09, 2015 6:42 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:I would like to try out the new UI stuff, on my existing (Raspbian 2/12/15 version) system. The link given above says to do:

Code: Select all

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
However, I am leery of upgrade - I've never liked it - and I don't really know what dist-upgrade does. In any case, I don't want to spend a day or two upgrading Wolfram/Mathematica - which is what always seems to happen when I do an "upgrade" (and no, I'm not kidding about "a day or two" - this is literally true).

Anyway, my question is: Is there a command to just upgrade the UI? (I think in the past there was something like: apt-get install raspberrypi-ui-changes)
wolfram and mathematica weren't touched for this release. For general apt-get usage help (how to upgrade a specific package), check 'man apt-get'.

rubikwizard

Sat May 09, 2015 7:22 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
rubikwizard wrote:The new image will not auto-mount entries in the fstab file. I have a network shared drive which always auto-mounted during startup but since the update to the gui and also the new image it will not work. I think it is trying to auto mount before the network is connected.

Once started the drive can be mounted with a manual sudo mount -a.
I'd recommend uninstalling raspberrypi-net-mods and restoring the backup of /etc/network/interfaces in that scenario.

The new /etc/network/interfaces has wlan0 and wlan1 listed in it and set to auto, so even if you don't have/want/need 2 wifi dongles plugged in, the error message will pop up. It would probably be a good idea to investigate why net mounts fail as a result.

I can't use a backup as this is a brand new image freshly downloaded from the downloads section. All I have done is to add the mount into /etc/fstab and it now won't mount during startup. But after startup a manual sudo mount -a works fine.

I could understand why it might not work on my existing image due to other things I might have changed but this is a fresh copy of the 5/5/15 image. All I have added to fstab is

Code: Select all

//192.168.0.6/pishare /home/pi/Documents/pishare cifs guest,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8 0 0
This always worked fine on the previous version.

ShiftPlusOne

Sat May 09, 2015 8:03 pm

rubikwizard wrote:I can't use a backup as this is a brand new image freshly downloaded from the downloads section.
Actually, we've thought of that. There's a backup of the previous default interfaces file in /etc/network. It's called something like interfaces.dpkg-old (don't remember off the top of my head).

rubikwizard

Sat May 09, 2015 9:49 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:It would probably be a good idea to investigate why net mounts fail as a result.
Well I've no idea how to do that, so I have reverted to a previous backup image from before the new updates, and will not install them again. (initially I used the backup networks file as suggested, which worked but caused a lot of other errors/warnings during startup which caused delays in the boot).

It is important to me that network mounts are installed during startup without having to manually do it from the terminal once booted. It seems strange that the new image does not allow it as I would have thought that many people do similar things. I have tried with wireless and with ethernet but get the same result. I have tried it with an upgraded image and with a freshly downloaded image. Always the same - mounts in fstab will not mount until manually mounted after the system starts. "Network unreachable" is displayed during boot.

ShiftPlusOne

Sat May 09, 2015 10:11 pm

rubikwizard wrote:Well I've no idea how to do that
I meant for us.

Although the image was tested in a number of scenarios we could think of, it's difficult to predict what everyone might do. Unfortunately, NFS mounts wasn't something that came up while testing, so it's something for us to look into.

rubikwizard

Sat May 09, 2015 10:21 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
I meant for us.

Although the image was tested in a number of scenarios we could think of, it's difficult to predict what everyone might do. Unfortunately, NFS mounts wasn't something that came up while testing, so it's something for us to look into.
Okay, sorry I didn't realise you were 'one of the team'. I appreciate all the effort everyone does for this fantastic system and hope this issue can be fixed sometime soon. I am a teacher and will be doing a GCSE assessment with students starting September, and would like an up-to-date image to distribute to the students which includes a share to network resources, which is why I have been concerned.

Many thanks for your time.

ShiftPlusOne

Sat May 09, 2015 10:26 pm

rubikwizard wrote:Okay, sorry I didn't realise you were 'one of the team'.
Well, I was mostly the lever monkey doing the packaging. All the work and the bulk of the testing was done by Simon.

rubikwizard

Sat May 09, 2015 10:29 pm

Thanks for your reply, hopefully you can pass on the issue to whoever is in a position to look at it, whenever they get chance. Much appreciated!

Gubbl

Sun May 10, 2015 8:48 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
rubikwizard wrote:I can't use a backup as this is a brand new image freshly downloaded from the downloads section.
Actually, we've thought of that. There's a backup of the previous default interfaces file in /etc/network. It's called something like interfaces.dpkg-old (don't remember off the top of my head).
Can I still use the /etc/network/interfaces file to configure the network even if the raspberrypi-net-mods package is pre-installed? I'm not using a GUI... :o

ShiftPlusOne

Sun May 10, 2015 9:44 pm

I haven't tried it, but I don't see why it wouldn't. I'd uninstall raspberrypi-net-mods and dhcpcd5 just in case.

eriktheitalian

Sun May 10, 2015 9:57 pm

Is hw accelerated epiphany web browser fixed ?
I cant using enough English language. My writings can be wrong grammer.$
"in micro$oft we not trust"

iw1

Mon May 11, 2015 10:53 am

From within the new desktop (with Raspian 2015-05-05):
1. How do I now add a second desktop? The menu pathway to do this isn't where it use to be. I can easily add 'Desktop number / Workspace' to the panel but the options with this are to do with its display on the panel not with adding another desktop.
2. How do I 'eject' (to use Windows terminology) a usb memory stick before removing it? The program 'eject' that I installed for the old-style desktop doesn't seem to work with the new desktop. I have asked this before but didn't get a reply.

Thanks.

pi-anazazi

Mon May 11, 2015 1:08 pm

@1 You have to tick the box "Show advanced options" or so in the Desktop menu, then right-click on the desktop and you see "Desktop", choose the option "add desktop"...
Kind regards

anazazi

SteveSpencer

Mon May 11, 2015 1:17 pm

rubikwizard wrote: It is important to me that network mounts are installed during startup without having to manually do it from the terminal once booted. It seems strange that the new image does not allow it as I would have thought that many people do similar things. I have tried with wireless and with ethernet but get the same result. I have tried it with an upgraded image and with a freshly downloaded image. Always the same - mounts in fstab will not mount until manually mounted after the system starts. "Network unreachable" is displayed during boot.
I put mine into /etc/rc.local, inside the check for an IP address that then prints the IP address. As I move some machines from network to network, I look at the IP address and conditionally mount different things depending on where it is.
This works perfectly well with the 05-05 release, just as it did with the previous ones. I'm using CIFS from Windows Server, Windows 7 and NAS boxes.
Steve S
No, I can't think of anything funny that won't offend someone if they want it to...

pi-anazazi

Mon May 11, 2015 3:17 pm

I put a cifs mount into rc.local, did not come up on booting...

EDIT:

Put the mount to fstab and added to rc.local

mount -a

...worked.
Last edited by pi-anazazi on Mon May 11, 2015 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kind regards

anazazi

iw1

Mon May 11, 2015 3:22 pm

pi-anazazi wrote:@1 You have to tick the box "Show advanced options" or so in the Desktop menu, then right-click on the desktop and you see "Desktop", choose the option "add desktop"...
Thanks for the hint to @1 which helped me get to the right place, but the sequence is now: right-click on desktop > Desktop Preferences > Advanced tab > check the box 'Show menus provided by window manager when desktop is clicked' > right-click again on desktop > Desktops > Add new desktop

rubikwizard

Mon May 11, 2015 8:47 pm

rubikwizard wrote:
ShiftPlusOne wrote:
I meant for us.

Okay, sorry I didn't realise you were 'one of the team'. I appreciate all the effort everyone does for this fantastic system and hope this issue can be fixed sometime soon. I am a teacher and will be doing a GCSE assessment with students starting September, and would like an up-to-date image to distribute to the students which includes a share to network resources, which is why I have been concerned.

Many thanks for your time.
Thanks to Simon Long's reply in the blog I have now got this working. Hopefully there will be a permanant fix in the next release ...
Yes, it’s a timing issue; I’ve replicated it here (and there seem to be reports of similar online on other non-Pi systems).

There’s an easy (albeit slightly kludgey) fix which I’ve tested and seems to work – just add the line “mount -a” to the end of /etc/rc.local, before the line “exit 0″. That just forces network shares to be mounted at the end of the boot sequence.

ObDisclaimer – I am not a Linux networking expert, so this might be the wrong thing to do, but it seems to work, and doesn’t seem to do any harm – give it a try.

PuppetHoundZ

Mon May 11, 2015 9:28 pm

eriktheitalian wrote:Is hw accelerated epiphany web browser fixed ?

They are working on it:
viewtopic.php?p=754992#p754992

I mentioned it here:
viewtopic.php?p=754987#p754987

pi-anazazi

Tue May 12, 2015 8:49 am

iw1 wrote:From within the new desktop (with Raspian 2015-05-05):
2. How do I 'eject' (to use Windows terminology) a usb memory stick before removing it? The program 'eject' that I installed for the old-style desktop doesn't seem to work with the new desktop. I have asked this before but didn't get a reply.

Thanks.
sudo umount dev/sda1

should do the trick. :-)
Kind regards

anazazi

iw1

Tue May 12, 2015 9:10 am

pi-anazazi wrote:
iw1 wrote:From within the new desktop (with Raspian 2015-05-05):

Thanks.
sudo umount dev/sda1

should do the trick. :-)
That's the way I do it from the terminal. I was hoping for a method involving only mouse-clicks in the desktop environment. This was an option on the old desktop with 'eject' installed. Thanks anyway.

ShiftPlusOne

Tue May 12, 2015 9:36 am

In the file manager, if you go to 'places' in the left panel, there should be an eject button next to everything. It would be a good idea to make that more accessible somewhere.

iw1

Tue May 12, 2015 10:25 am

ShiftPlusOne wrote:In the file manager, if you go to 'places' in the left panel, there should be an eject button next to everything. It would be a good idea to make that more accessible somewhere.
Brilliant! Thanks for that. I'd not looked at 'places'.

2 further queries about problems I didn't have until I updated to Raspian 2015-05-05.
1. My mounted NAS folder doesn't stay mounted after a reboot. I've set up the mount-point and the entry in /etc/fstab in the usual way. If I do 'sudo mount -a' the folder is mounted as I would expect but, when I reboot, the NAS folder isn't mounted in the start-up process. Have I forgotten to do something?

2. I now know how to add a second desktop but seem to have to repeat the procedure after a reboot. Is there a way to save a multi-desktop setup?

Thanks.

ShiftPlusOne

Tue May 12, 2015 10:27 am

Nope, unfortunately, the latest update breaks net mounts like that. The workaround is to add mount -a to /etc/rc.local (before the exit line).

It's dirty, but if anyone has a better solution, please let us know.

Return to “Raspbian”