basj

Jessie ready-to-use image

Mon May 04, 2015 8:10 am

Hi,

There is a lot of Jessie-related topics, and I read some of them, but it's easy to get lost with them. So here are two questions:

1) Will there be an official Raspbian Jessie read-to-use image available here:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/

If not available soon, is there a release candidate for this somewhere?

2) If not possible yet on http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/, could we make a sticky post somewhere with easy instructions to have a Raspbian Jessie read-to-use image ?

Thanks in advance.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Jessie ready-to-use image

Mon May 04, 2015 8:14 am

basj wrote:Hi,

There is a lot of Jessie-related topics, and I read some of them, but it's easy to get lost with them. So here are two questions:

1) Will there be an official Raspbian Jessie read-to-use image available here:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/

If not available soon, is there a release candidate for this somewhere?

2) If not possible yet on http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/, could we make a sticky post somewhere with easy instructions to have a Raspbian Jessie read-to-use image ?

Thanks in advance.
Raspbian Jessie is still in Testing and the RPF will announce, like everything else when ready.

If you want to try Jessie Testing then there are many posts regarding how to do so from a standard Raspbian Wheezy install ;)

See: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=90726&hilit=jessie#p635475
Retired disgracefully.....

basj

Mon May 04, 2015 9:24 am

Raspbian Jessie is still in Testing and the RPF will announce, like everything else when ready.
Is there a Testing Jessie image?

(instead of having to install Wheezy + then upgrade, it would be cool to have a Testing Jessie image)

ShorTie

Mon May 04, 2015 9:40 am

If/when they get all the bugs out of wheezy (lol), they are going to switch to jessie.
It will not be the next official release, but maybe the next.

Upgrading to jessie is not hard

Code: Select all

sed -i 's/wheezy/jessie/' /etc/apt/sources.list
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade -y
    apt-get dist-upgrade -y
    sed -i 's/#autologin-user=/autologin-user=pi/' /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
    reboot
But it does take some time because you are changing out some 700+ files.
I normally take the defualt on all questions but the 1 on lightdm.conf, for that 1 I let it install the new version.
That is why we have to reset the auto-login at the end.

What I would suggest if you want an image, is after the upgrade, use something like mini_image.sh

viewtopic.php?p=737900#p737900

To make your own for the time being.

Have A Great Day
ShorTie ;)

PeterO

Mon May 04, 2015 9:43 am

ShorTie wrote:If/when they get all the bugs out of wheezy (lol), they are going to switch to jessie.
It will not be the next official release, but maybe the next.

Upgrading to jessie is not hard

sed -i 's/wheezy/jessie/' /etc/apt/sources.list
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade -y
    apt-get dist-upgrade -y
    sed -i 's/#autologin-user=/autologin-user=pi/' /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
    reboot
But it does take some time because you are changing out some 700+ files.
I normally take the defualt on all questions but the 1 on lightdm.conf, for that 1 I let it install the new version.
That is why we have to reset the auto-login at the end.

What I would suggest if you want an image, is after the upgrade, use something like mini_image.sh

viewtopic.php?p=737900#p737900

To make your own for the time being.

Have A Great Day
ShorTie ;)

And you still end up with a system that won't boot without user interaction due to systemd ! :-(

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

fruitoftheloom

Mon May 04, 2015 9:50 am

https://github.com/debian-pi/raspbian-ua-netinst

Using the Raspbian Minimal Net Installer would make a cleaner upgrade, there is a post somewhere which explains how to configure for Jessie Testing.

fruitoftheloom

Mon May 04, 2015 9:53 am

PeterO wrote: And you still end up with a system that won't boot without user interaction due to systemd ! :-(

PeterO
Flogging the dead horse again ?? viewtopic.php?f=66&t=91367 :roll: :roll: :roll:

The project to release an alternative Sysinit version of Debian by disgruntled users has had virtually zero traction, get over it :shock:
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Mon May 04, 2015 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

basj

Mon May 04, 2015 10:05 am

Thanks everyone for the help...

But we end up again with a forum post with lots of things to do, lots of possibilities, various links to follow...

@moderators, could we do a short sticky post, with the easy and short solution to have a clean Jessie Raspbian?

pi-anazazi

Mon May 04, 2015 10:08 am

I started at this point:

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=91367&start=91

...but didn't get it really running yet

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=91367&start=91

Maybe someone who successfully switched jessie from systemd to sysvinit might indicate in the right direction where to look for a how-to?
Kind regards

anazazi

DougieLawson

Mon May 04, 2015 12:29 pm

basj wrote:There is a lot of Jessie-related topics, and I read some of them, but it's easy to get lost with them.
Forget Jessie until there's an official NOOBS with Raspbian Jessie released by the RPF. At that time they'll probably document some official upgrade instructions or ship a migration script that will do it seamlessly.

Jessie is still for experts only and it is NOT ready for prime time for the general users. You WILL break your system.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

PeterO

Mon May 04, 2015 6:04 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
PeterO wrote: And you still end up with a system that won't boot without user interaction due to systemd ! :-(

PeterO
Flogging the dead horse again ??
No, but the systemds faults are starting to show now that people are starting to use it !

It is utter nonsense to stop part way through a boot, tell the user to run a command to look ini a log file (that turns out to have nothing useful in it) then tell them to run another command to see if they've fixed the unspecified problem. And running the command does in fact complete the boot... Explain that if you can without resorting to being rude !

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

ktb

Mon May 04, 2015 6:19 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:

PeterO
Flogging the dead horse again ?? viewtopic.php?f=66&t=91367 :roll: :roll: :roll:

The project to release an alternative Sysinit version of Debian by disgruntled users has had virtually zero traction, get over it :shock:
I think that is beside the point. Some of us just want systemd to work properly and would be happy to use it if it did.

DougieLawson

Mon May 04, 2015 6:41 pm

ktb wrote:I think that is beside the point. Some of us just want systemd to work properly and would be happy to use it if it did.
+1
Every time my RPi doesn't boot because of systemd I say a rude word, pull the power, then say more rude words when it still fails to boot. I've had to rebuild a couple of systems from SDCard backups because of systemd failures.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

dickg4bbh

Mon May 04, 2015 6:49 pm

Did I do something right for a change. I did the upgrade on my RPi2 to Jessie and have had no trouble at all booting after over a hundred boot cycles . So far it is running reliably although in the beginning I had a minor sound card problem problem (usual ALSA hiccups) but all my usual applications are still running well..
Not everyone has problems.
Richard

ktb

Mon May 04, 2015 7:02 pm

dickg4bbh wrote:Did I do something right for a change. I did the upgrade on my RPi2 to Jessie and have had no trouble at all booting after over a hundred boot cycles . So far it is running reliably although in the beginning I had a minor sound card problem problem (usual ALSA hiccups) but all my usual applications are still running well..
Not everyone has problems.
Richard
It is good to hear that it is working for you. It makes me wonder what applications and services you have installed and running. It also makes me wonder if you are actually using systemd. The most recent upgrade to Jessie I performed did not result in automatically switching my init system to systemd.

I suppose I'll try installing a fresh Raspbian image today and upgrading it without making any changes or installing anything extra and see where that gets me. It's certainly possible that something I've done since February is causing problems.

ShorTie

Mon May 04, 2015 9:38 pm

Upgrading from 1 distro to any other has never really been a good idea, imho.
You got at best a 50/50 chance of it working right.

Have A Great Day
ShorTie ;)

ktb

Mon May 04, 2015 10:36 pm

I just installed a fresh copy of 2015-02-16-raspbian-wheezy.img. I booted and used raspi-config to select the option to expand the root partition, set locale (that still throws errors if done before rebooting -- I've always assumed that was due to the root partition not yet being expanded), set time zone and keyboard to US, then rebooted. I ran raspi-config again, set locale (no errors since the root partition was expanded). I then installed all available updates. Then I edited /etc/apt/sources.list to specify jessie instead of wheezy. I then ran sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. When prompted to replace config files with new versions, I installed the new versions in all cases. Everything went smoothly. I edited /etc/dphys-swapfile to set CONF_SWAPSIZE=100 (same as the Wheezy default), ran sudo dphys-swapfile setup. Then I ran sync a few times and rebooted. In my limited testing so far, everything works.

So, next I will start incrementally adding in apache2, mysql, php5 and more and see if things still work properly as I go.

Update: I haven't been able to get systemd or anything to misbehave yet. In case anybody has suggestions for specific packages they'd like me to add to the mix, I'd be happy to test them. Next, I'll try moving the root file system to a USB hard drive.

Update 2: Alright, after moving the root file system to a USB hard drive the fun begins. The first time I rebooted, the init sequence never completed (I let it sit there for 15 minutes before giving up):

[img]http://i.imgur.com/jEfcxQn.jpg[/img]

Ctrl+Alt+Delete rebooted the system and this second time the init sequence completed successfully and LightDM popped up. I'll keep testing...

Update 3: I shutdown the Pi2B from the LXDE-pi panel and let it rest for a few minutes. I unplugged and plugged in the microUSB power cable. Then I watched the init sequence while fsck found errors and repaired them followed by an automatic reboot. This next init sequence completed successfully without errors and I was greeted by LightDM again. Fun stuff.

Update 4: Again, I shutdown the Pi2B from the LXDE-pi panel and let it rest for a few minutes before powering it up again. The next init sequence failed quite impressively again (it's been sitting like this for over 10 minutes):

[img]http://i.imgur.com/FEgZnTd.jpg[/img]

Ctrl+Alt+Delete seemingly does not work in this instance. So, Alt+SysRq+b it is... followed by an init sequence where fsck fails and leads to emergency mode.

I suppose I've had my fill of fun for now. Good luck to others. If you like having your root file system on an external hard drive, then I'd recommend avoiding Raspbian Jessie for now. Next, I'll try that Debian Jessie image from Collabora:
https://www.collabora.com/about-us/blog ... erry-pi-2/
https://images.collabora.co.uk/rpi2/

Update 5: Using Debian Jessie with systemd and the root file system on a USB hard drive has the same problems. Ughgh....

Update 6: Alright. If I don't shutdown/reboot from the menus in LXDE or LightDM, and instead switch to tty1 and run any of the following commands, then there doesn't appear to be file system corruption. I've tried the following commands several times and have not noticed a problem. When I do try to shutdown or reboot from a GUI, then it seems that there are usually files in /tmp and sometimes elsewhere which become corrupted and that then seems to prevent subsequent init/boot sequences from completing properly (often times I end up at tty1 with a login prompt and a read-only file system instead of LightDM loading).

sudo systemctl reboot
sudo systemctl halt
sudo systemctl poweroff

If I run the above commands from within LXDE using LXTerminal, then there is usually file system corruption. So, perhaps the problem is related to LXDE or the X server not exiting cleanly. Eghghgh... It's back to svsvinit for me.

If anybody is successfully using systemd on any Pi distro. with the root file system on an external drive without any of these problems I've described, then I'd love to hear about it.

I think this might be fixed -- https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=784720

CRImier

Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:36 pm

ktb wrote:I just installed a fresh copy of 2015-02-16-raspbian-wheezy.img. I booted and used raspi-config to select the option to expand the root partition, set locale (that still throws errors if done before rebooting -- I've always assumed that was due to the root partition not yet being expanded), set time zone and keyboard to US, then rebooted. I ran raspi-config again, set locale (no errors since the root partition was expanded). I then installed all available updates. Then I edited /etc/apt/sources.list to specify jessie instead of wheezy. I then ran sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. When prompted to replace config files with new versions, I installed the new versions in all cases. Everything went smoothly. I edited /etc/dphys-swapfile to set CONF_SWAPSIZE=100 (same as the Wheezy default), ran sudo dphys-swapfile setup. Then I ran sync a few times and rebooted. In my limited testing so far, everything works.

So, next I will start incrementally adding in apache2, mysql, php5 and more and see if things still work properly as I go.

Update: I haven't been able to get systemd or anything to misbehave yet. In case anybody has suggestions for specific packages they'd like me to add to the mix, I'd be happy to test them. Next, I'll try moving the root file system to a USB hard drive.

Update 2: Alright, after moving the root file system to a USB hard drive the fun begins. The first time I rebooted, the init sequence never completed (I let it sit there for 15 minutes before giving up):

Ctrl+Alt+Delete rebooted the system and this second time the init sequence completed successfully and LightDM popped up. I'll keep testing...

Update 3: I shutdown the Pi2B from the LXDE-pi panel and let it rest for a few minutes. I unplugged and plugged in the microUSB power cable. Then I watched the init sequence while fsck found errors and repaired them followed by an automatic reboot. This next init sequence completed successfully without errors and I was greeted by LightDM again. Fun stuff.

Update 4: Again, I shutdown the Pi2B from the LXDE-pi panel and let it rest for a few minutes before powering it up again. The next init sequence failed quite impressively again (it's been sitting like this for over 10 minutes):

Ctrl+Alt+Delete seemingly does not work in this instance. So, Alt+SysRq+b it is... followed by an init sequence where fsck fails and leads to emergency mode.

I suppose I've had my fill of fun for now. Good luck to others. If you like having your root file system on an external hard drive, then I'd recommend avoiding Raspbian Jessie for now. Next, I'll try that Debian Jessie image from Collabora:
https://www.collabora.com/about-us/blog ... erry-pi-2/
https://images.collabora.co.uk/rpi2/

Update 5: Using Debian Jessie with systemd and the root file system on a USB hard drive has the same problems. Ughgh....

Update 6: Alright. If I don't shutdown/reboot from the menus in LXDE or LightDM, and instead switch to tty1 and run any of the following commands, then there doesn't appear to be file system corruption. I've tried the following commands several times and have not noticed a problem. When I do try to shutdown or reboot from a GUI, then it seems that there are usually files in /tmp and sometimes elsewhere which become corrupted and that then seems to prevent subsequent init/boot sequences from completing properly (often times I end up at tty1 with a login prompt and a read-only file system instead of LightDM loading).

sudo systemctl reboot
sudo systemctl halt
sudo systemctl poweroff

If I run the above commands from within LXDE using LXTerminal, then there is usually file system corruption. So, perhaps the problem is related to LXDE or the X server not exiting cleanly. Eghghgh... It's back to svsvinit for me.

If anybody is successfully using systemd on any Pi distro. with the root file system on an external drive without any of these problems I've described, then I'd love to hear about it.

I think this might be fixed -- https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=784720
If you're interested in running Jessie from an external drive, I suggest you try raspbian-ua-netinst. I haven't used it with an external drive, but netinstaller supports it, and so far Jessie with it is a flawless experience for me (Pi2). Aside from filesystem corruptions which, well, happen - but only if I have overclock, and I'm sure it was documented long before (SD card class I).
hackaday.io/CRImier
Current project - ZeroPhone

diederik

Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:06 pm

CRImier wrote:If you're interested in running Jessie from an external drive, I suggest you try raspbian-ua-netinst.
It should work. It's important that 'libpam-systemd' is installed, preferably during install.
You can accomplish that by having "packages=libpam-systemd" in 'installer-config.txt'. See here for details.

For ppl having problems on jessie especially with shutdown/reboot, check whether 'libpam-systemd' is installed.

bazis

Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:07 pm

Hi All,

We've uploaded a Raspbian Jessie image based on upgrading the Wheezy image with official Jessie repositories here: http://gnutoolchains.com/raspberry/jessie/
This should save some time for you folks, as the dist-upgrade process took a while. Hope this helps.

geriater

Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:12 pm

Thank you very much for the image. However I can't correctly expand my filesystem. dmesg tells:

[    3.284448] systemd[1]: Started udev Coldplug all Devices.
[    3.334715] systemd[1]: resize2fs_once.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
[    3.345219] systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: Resize the root filesystem to fill partition.
[    3.349609] systemd[1]: Unit resize2fs_once.service entered failed state.
How to solve this?

KLL

Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:09 am

bazis wrote:a Raspbian Jessie image here: http://gnutoolchains.com/raspberry/jessie/
i test it incl. the winflash and resize option... and RASPBIAN comes up with 7.5GB ( of 8GB SD)
while a sudo raspi-config gives funny error about (again) resize from there. ( no /dev/root/ ? )

- - epiphany browser start with 2 windows and shutdown
- - vncserver is now vnc4server show a empty window with a context menu only, not the desktop
- - the desktop / menu / add remove panel items / application launch bar / add from installed applications / does not work as it not finds most new installed programs ( on RPI.ORG wheezy that works fine )
- - xrdp copy paste from/to win PC still not work

Return to “Raspbian”