asduskun

Re: Kodi 15 Packages for Raspbian Wheezy & Jessie for RPi2

Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:11 pm

i m stuck at update and dist-upgrade step as in the pictures below. what s wrong with it?

Image Image

asduskun

Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:25 pm

ok thanks a lot i ve found my solution in a day LOL, and it s running fine now.

Rascas

Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:46 pm

@asduskun
Your /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pipplware_jessie.list wasn't correct, it should contain only the first line.

I have made new Kodi 17.0 packages in the unstable repo, which is now divided into 2 repositories, one with a "normal" Kodi, compiled for ARMv6 which works with any version of the Raspberry Pi, and another compiled for ARMv7 which works only with Raspberry Pi 2 and 3. The ARMv7 version contains HEVC optimizations, which should have now the expected performance.

ARMv6 development Kodi versions:
http://pipplware.pplware.pt/pipplware/d ... in/binary/

ARMv7 development Kodi versions:
http://pipplware.pplware.pt/pipplware/d ... v7/binary/

asduskun

Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:59 pm

Rascas wrote:@asduskun
Your /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pipplware_jessie.list wasn't correct, it should contain only the first line.

I have made new Kodi 17.0 packages in the unstable repo, which is now divided into 2 repositories, one with a "normal" Kodi, compiled for ARMv6 which works with any version of the Raspberry Pi, and another compiled for ARMv7 which works only with Raspberry Pi 2 and 3. The ARMv7 version contains HEVC optimizations, which should have now the expected performance.

ARMv6 development Kodi versions:
http://pipplware.pplware.pt/pipplware/d ... in/binary/

ARMv7 development Kodi versions:
http://pipplware.pplware.pt/pipplware/d ... v7/binary/
Actually I could install the kodi as you said by deleting the second line which is key. But I added the repo to the original sources.list file so now for the new version 17 do I have to delete the old repo and add this new one or just leave it and add this too? Secondly as the previous one we have to add a key from the command line? Lastly when there are two repositories in the sources file which one will be used to install kodi? It will install automatically the last version or I should make it select manually?

Thanks

Rascas

Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:42 pm

1- For Kodi 17 repo, you need to add it in the same way as the main one, and you still need my main repo because of some dependencies, they are automatically selected and installed when you issue the comand to install kodi. So for Kodi 17, you need the 2 repos.

2- The key is the same for all my repos, if you already added the key, its all fine. The key is only to make sure the packages are legit, and not altered in some way, on the download process.

3- When there are diferent repositories with the same package (which is this case, that my packages are built the same way in the diferent repos, and also, the same way as the ones in the RPi Foundation Repo), the packages with the most recent version are installed or updated. You can check all available versions of a package, and the repo which they came from, by issuing the command "apt-cache policy nameofthepackage", for example:
apt-cache policy kodi

PS: Kodi 17 is still in early development fase (ALPHA version) so use it at your own risk.
Last edited by Rascas on Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

asduskun

Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:22 am

Rascas wrote:1- For Kodi 17 repo you still need my main repo because of some dependencies, they are automatically selected and installed when you issue the comand to install kodi.

2- The key is the same for all my repos, if you already added the key, its all fine. The key is only to make sure the packages are legit, and not altered in some way, on the download process.

3- When there are diferent repositories with the same package (which is this case, that my packages are built the same way in the diferent repos, and also, the same way as the ones in the RPi Foundation Repo), the packages with the most recent version are installed or updated. You can check all available versions of a package, and the repo which they came from, by issuing the command "apt-cache policy nameofthepackage", for example:
apt-cache policy kodi

PS: Kodi 17 is still in early development fase (ALPHA version) so use it at your own risk.
thank you so you recommend v 16 or 17 for my raspi 3? i still have problems when exiting application.

2. And as for needing 2 repos for kodi 17, having the first one, that is kodi 16 repo, is enough to install kodi 17 right?

Rascas

Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:50 am

What kind of "exit problems" ? If you are using Raspbian and setting up Kodi for the first time, did you follow the 1st post part "If you are installing kodi for the first time..." ?

To install Kodi 16, you need only the main repo, dont add the unstable repo. To install Kodi 17 you need both the main and the unstable. If you have both, and you install Kodi, like "sudo apt-get install kodi" or you update the system like "sudo apt-get && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade", Kodi 17 will be installed or updated, respectively.

I recommend using Kodi 16 because its considered stable and Kodi 17 is in development. Set up Kodi 16 first and try it. Than if you want to try Kodi 17, make a backup of your card first, than you can always go back easily.

asduskun

Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:40 am

Rascas wrote:What kind of "exit problems" ? If you are using Raspbian and setting up Kodi for the first time, did you follow the 1st post part "If you are installing kodi for the first time..." ?

To install Kodi 16, you need only the main repo, dont add the unstable repo. To install Kodi 17 you need both the main and the unstable. If you have both, and you install Kodi, like "sudo apt-get install kodi" or you update the system like "sudo apt-get && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade", Kodi 17 will be installed or updated, respectively.

I recommend using Kodi 16 because its considered stable and Kodi 17 is in development. Set up Kodi 16 first and try it. Than if you want to try Kodi 17, make a backup of your card first, than you can always go back easily.
Yes I have 16 yesterday I installed it but when I clicked exit it just freezes and nothing works like ctrl+alt+f2! I used to have 15.2 it also had exit problem like when I clicked exit just a blank black screen used to come up. This my problem now

Rascas

Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:44 pm

Like I said before, you have to do the 1st post steps "If you are installing kodi for the first time...", otherwise the user "pi" doesn't have permissions to exit Kodi correctly.

CTRL+ALT+FX doesn't work with Kodi opened on the Raspberry Pi.

asduskun

Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:42 am

Rascas wrote:Like I said before, you have to do the 1st post steps "If you are installing kodi for the first time...", otherwise the user "pi" doesn't have permissions to exit Kodi correctly.

I didn't understand what to do with this configuration? Will I add it to a file?

Code: Select all

CFLAGS="-I/opt/vc/include/ -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vmcs_host/linux -mfloat-abi=hard -mcpu=cortex-a7 -mfpu=neon-vfpv4" CXXFLAGS="-I/opt/vc/include/ -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vmcs_host/linux -mfloat-abi=hard -mcpu=cortex-a7 -mfpu=neon-vfpv4" LDFLAGS="-L/opt/vc/lib" FFMPEG_OPTS="--cpu=cortex-a7" ./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-debug --enable-optimizations --with-platform=raspberry-pi --enable-player=omxplayer --disable-x11 --disable-sdl --disable-vaapi --disable-vdpau --disable-xrandr --disable-joystick --enable-airplay --enable-mid --enable-rsxs --enable-afpclient --disable-external-ffmpeg --enable-non-free --enable-dvdcss --enable-ccache --enable-alsa --enable-libusb --enable-libbluray --enable-libcec --disable-projectm --disable-Pulse
By the way how I installed kodi for the first time was just after updating system I just used Sudo apt-get install kodi command and nothing else and that installed 15.2 then I saw your post and installed 16 over the first one so should I remove them all and do what is said in the first post from scratch?

gkreidl

Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:28 am

asduskun wrote:
Rascas wrote:Like I said before, you have to do the 1st post steps "If you are installing kodi for the first time...", otherwise the user "pi" doesn't have permissions to exit Kodi correctly.

I didn't understand what to do with this configuration? Will I add it to a file?

CFLAGS="-I/opt/vc/include/ -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vmcs_host/linux -mfloat-abi=hard -mcpu=cortex-a7 -mfpu=neon-vfpv4" CXXFLAGS="-I/opt/vc/include/ -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vmcs_host/linux -mfloat-abi=hard -mcpu=cortex-a7 -mfpu=neon-vfpv4" LDFLAGS="-L/opt/vc/lib" FFMPEG_OPTS="--cpu=cortex-a7" ./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-debug --enable-optimizations --with-platform=raspberry-pi --enable-player=omxplayer --disable-x11 --disable-sdl --disable-vaapi --disable-vdpau --disable-xrandr --disable-joystick --enable-airplay --enable-mid --enable-rsxs --enable-afpclient --disable-external-ffmpeg --enable-non-free --enable-dvdcss --enable-ccache --enable-alsa --enable-libusb --enable-libbluray --enable-libcec --disable-projectm --disable-Pulse
By the way how I installed kodi for the first time was just after updating system I just used Sudo apt-get install kodi command and nothing else and that installed 15.2 then I saw your post and installed 16 over the first one so should I remove them all and do what is said in the first post from scratch?
This are the configuration options used for compiling. They are not needed for just using kodi.
But all other settings have to be applied.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

asduskun

Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:31 am

gkreidl wrote:
asduskun wrote:

This are the configuration options used for compiling. They are not needed for just using kodi.
so ok thanks a lot now im removing all i have then applying the first post instructions

asduskun

Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:06 pm

gkreidl wrote:
asduskun wrote:

ok i did everything in the first post but i didnt do the code below because i dont want to install 15.2 but 16 so should i jump to the instructions of 16 or apply these below first?

wget http://steinerdatenbank.de/software/kodi-15.2-jessie-rpb.tar.gz
tar -xzf kodi-15.2-jessie-rpb.tar.gz
cd kodi-15-jessie
sudo ./install

gkreidl

Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:14 pm

If you want to install kodi 16, follow Rascals advice. He has used the same RPi specific fixes as I have.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

asduskun

Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:21 pm

gkreidl wrote:If you want to install kodi 16, follow Rascals advice. He has used the same RPi specific fixes as I have.
i understand it but as i m a newbie i m asking if i should apply the code above or not? what is that codes for? if to install kodi 15.2 i dont wanna install it, i wanna install 16, but i applied other instruction in the first page

gkreidl

Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:27 pm

asduskun wrote:
gkreidl wrote:If you want to install kodi 16, follow Rascals advice. He has used the same RPi specific fixes as I have.
i understand it but as i m a newbie i m asking if i should apply the code above or not? what is that codes for? if to install kodi 15.2 i dont wanna install it, i wanna install 16, but i applied other instruction in the first page
These are the download and install instruction for the 15.2 version I compiled. You don't need to follow them, if you are looking for kodi.16.

asduskun

Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:30 pm

asduskun wrote:
ok thank you

Rascas

Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:48 pm

This is everything you need to install Kodi 16 on Raspbian. All of this is done in a virtual terminal:

Add the pipplware main repository by editing /etc/apt/sources.list or add it to a new file like /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pipplware_jessie.list:

deb http://pipplware.pplware.pt/pipplware/dists/jessie/main/binary /
Than add the key:

wget -O - http://pipplware.pplware.pt/pipplware/key.asc | sudo apt-key add -
And update, upgrade and install Kodi:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

sudo apt-get install kodi
To install PVRs you can run the following command to list all PVRs available:

apt-cache search kodi-pvr
And then install what you want, for example:

sudo apt-get install kodi-pvr-iptvsimple
Then, to run Kodi you can use the icon the LXDE menu or run the following command:

kodi
or

kodi-standalone

To have everything working nicely on Raspbian you also need to set the right permissions:

You have to create the group "input" if it doesn't exist.

sudo addgroup --system input
Create & edit the following file:

sudo nano /etc/udev/rules.d/99-input.rules
enter the following text and save it:

SUBSYSTEM==input, GROUP=input, MODE=0660
KERNEL==tty[0-9]*, GROUP=tty, MODE=0660
Create & edit the following file:

sudo nano /etc/udev/rules.d/10-permissions.rules
enter this text and save it:

# input
KERNEL=="mouse*|mice|event*",   MODE="0660", GROUP="input"
KERNEL=="ts[0-9]*|uinput",     MODE="0660", GROUP="input"
KERNEL==js[0-9]*,             MODE=0660, GROUP=input
# tty
KERNEL==tty[0-9]*,            MODE=0666
# vchiq
SUBSYSTEM==vchiq,  GROUP=video, MODE=0660
run the following commands for user pi (if you haven't changed your user name):

sudo usermod -a -G audio pi
sudo usermod -a -G video pi
sudo usermod -a -G input pi
sudo usermod -a -G dialout pi
sudo usermod -a -G plugdev pi
sudo usermod -a -G tty pi
To play full HD video in Kodi, you have to set
gpu_mem=160
in /boot/config.txt (or higher)

PS: The packages are compiled for armv6 so they work in all Raspberry versions.
PS2: This is for Jessie only

asduskun

Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:03 pm

gkreidl wrote:
asduskun wrote:
These are the download and install instruction for the 15.2 version I compiled. You don't need to follow them, if you are looking for kodi.16.
Man! You put too much effort on it just for me. I appreciate it thanks a lot and now kodi doesnt give me a blank black screen or freeze THANKS ;)

asduskun

Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:16 pm

ok anyone who knows how can i config kodi for slow internet connections? because my connection cannot play hd channels smoothly, how can i change them like into SD mode?

giorgis

Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:56 pm

Just a short question: Does installing Kodi 16 using the aforementioned procedure overwrites the already Kodi15 installation thus keeping all Add-Ons and settings or everything has to be set from scratch?
There are only 10 types of people. Those who know binary and those who don't

Rascas

Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:07 pm

Your addons and settings will be kept. But it is not 100% garanteed, 3rd party addons can cause problems, so just in case make a backup of your /home/pi/.kodi/ folder.

giorgis

Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:05 pm

@Rascas: Thank you very much!!!!
There are only 10 types of people. Those who know binary and those who don't

exobuzz

Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:04 pm

@rascas

Thanks for providing this - useful to have the gamepad support built in.

I would like to include your repository in RetroPie-Setup if that's ok? We currently just install from the Raspbian Repository - but that is not updated, and also lacks the gamepad support.

asduskun

Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:27 pm

Rascas wrote:Your addons and settings will be kept. But it is not 100% garanteed, 3rd party addons can cause problems, so just in case make a backup of your /home/pi/.kodi/ folder.
hey brother, after i set localization options for my country, all drop down menu writings and the ones in exit menu disappared, just a blank frame with nothing inside. what should i do?

edit: ok it now has the other menu options visible, maybe i connected my pi to internet and it downloaded translations i dont know but this time it wont exit as before. it used to exit smoothly when it was english but now it stucks?

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”