gkreidl

Kodi 15/16/17 Packages for Raspbian

Fri May 01, 2015 2:28 pm

Update August, 20th, 2017: There is currently no working kodi version for Raspbian Stretch. It's being worked on and will follow soon. If you need kodi on Raspbian, do not upgrade to Stretch yet.

Update June, 14th, 2017: There is now an official 17.3 version of kodi available from the Foundation repository which can be installed using apt-get. Older versions are considered obsolete now. I will keep them on our server for a while, though.

Update December, 14., 2015: There are now two packages available:
The official kodi-15.1 release (release 150901, git Rev.: 20150816-f4dda26) for Wheezy. This will be the last Wheezy version I publish.
kodi-15.2-3-jessie-rpi2-backports for Jessie. This is based on the popcornmix rpb backports branch.
Update January, 25th, 2016: Since January, 8th, there is a kodi-15.2 Jessie release in the archive of the foundation. It contains a few RPi-specific patches and may be a better solution than my package. It is not optimized for RPi2 and will work with any RPi model.

These are a large files, which cause a lot of traffic on our server. If you need multiple copies, please download it once and copy it locally. I've seen people downloading 12 copies within an hour!

Update March, 7th, 2016: A kodi-16 version is available from the PiPplware repository: viewtopic.php?p=832735#p832735

My intention in creating these packages was to have kodi-15 (without the black screen bug) available on Raspbian as an optional media player (command line or desktop). It may not contain all the features of a stand-alone kodi system like OpenElec.

These kodi packages are all in one packages, that combine kodi and kodi.bin. To avoid conflicts with older versions from any repository these are deinstalled first.

To get and install kodi 15.1 for Wheezy, run the following from a terminal or the command line:

Code: Select all

wget http://steinerdatenbank.de/software/kodi-15.1-wheezy.tar.gz
tar -xzf kodi-15.1-wheezy.tar.gz
cd kodi-15
sudo ./install
To get and install kodi 15.2-3-rpi2-backports for Jessie, run the following from a terminal or the command line:

wget http://steinerdatenbank.de/software/kodi-15.2-jessie-rpb.tar.gz
tar -xzf kodi-15.2-jessie-rpb.tar.gz
cd kodi-15-jessie
sudo ./install
This will install kodi and kodi.bin, libplatform1, a script "startkodi" in "/usr/local/bin" and replace the kodi.desktop file with a new one, that uses startkodi. The jessie versions will also install some additional packages or package versions, which are not in the repository (some courtesy of pipplware).
startkodi can be used with an argument
startkodi [uri]
uri can be any valid file path or URL pointing to a media file or playlist; Kodi will then immediately start playing it.

Wheezy users only:
kodi-15 now requires libcec version 3.0 for CEC (remote control) support, at least for compilation. But it has been reported, that it may still work with older versions. Just test it. If CEC doesn't work and you need it, you can install libcec3. Run

sudo ./install_cec3
Warning: this will remove all CEC-related software (libcec1, libcec2, cec-utils, libcec-dev) from your system and install the following:
libcec3, cec-utils (Version 3.0), libcec-dev (Version 3.0), python-libcec

If you are using software, that depends on libcec1 and libcec2, it will not work any more. You might try installing the libs again (but not cec-utils!), but I haven't tested it.

Jessie users: libcec3 is now part of the additional packages which are automatically installed. Other versions might not work with this kodi version,

To remove everything again from your machine, run

sudo dpkg -r libplatform1
sudo dpkg -r libcec3
sudo dpkg -r kodi
If you are installing kodi for the first time, you have to add some settings to your system. (This has been compiled from different sources on the internet. I'm not sure if this is all true for a Jessie install!)

We have to create the group "input" if it doesn't exist.

sudo addgroup --system input
Create & edit the following file:

sudo nano /etc/udev/rules.d/99-input.rules
enter the following text and save it:

SUBSYSTEM==input, GROUP=input, MODE=0660
KERNEL==tty[0-9]*, GROUP=tty, MODE=0660
Create & edit the following file:

sudo nano /etc/udev/rules.d/10-permissions.rules
enter this text and save it:

# input
KERNEL=="mouse*|mice|event*",   MODE="0660", GROUP="input"
KERNEL=="ts[0-9]*|uinput",     MODE="0660", GROUP="input"
KERNEL==js[0-9]*,             MODE=0660, GROUP=input
# tty
KERNEL==tty[0-9]*,            MODE=0666
# vchiq
SUBSYSTEM==vchiq,  GROUP=video, MODE=0660
run the following commands for user pi (if you haven't changed your user name):

sudo usermod -a -G audio pi
sudo usermod -a -G video pi
sudo usermod -a -G input pi
sudo usermod -a -G dialout pi
sudo usermod -a -G plugdev pi
sudo usermod -a -G tty pi
To play full HD video in Kodi, you have to set
gpu_mem=160
in /boot/config.txt (or higher)

The configuration I have used for 15.1 Whheezy:

CFLAGS="-I/opt/vc/include/ -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vmcs_host/linux -mfloat-abi=hard -mcpu=cortex-a7 -mfpu=neon-vfpv4" CXXFLAGS="-I/opt/vc/include/ -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vmcs_host/linux -mfloat-abi=hard -mcpu=cortex-a7 -mfpu=neon-vfpv4" LDFLAGS="-L/opt/vc/lib" FFMPEG_OPTS="--cpu=cortex-a7" ./configure --disable-gl --enable-gles --with-platform=raspberry-pi --disable-x11 --disable-vaapi --disable-vdpau --disable-avahi --enable-libcec --disable-pulse --disable-projectm --disable-optical-drive --disable-dvdcss --disable-vtbdecoder --enable-alsa --enable-player=omxplayer --disable-xrandr --disable-openmax --disable-joystick --disable-rsxs --prefix=/usr  --enable-debug=no
The configuration I have used for 15.2 Jessie:

CFLAGS="-I/opt/vc/include/ -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vmcs_host/linux -mfloat-abi=hard -mcpu=cortex-a7 -mfpu=neon-vfpv4" CXXFLAGS="-I/opt/vc/include/ -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vmcs_host/linux -mfloat-abi=hard -mcpu=cortex-a7 -mfpu=neon-vfpv4" LDFLAGS="-L/opt/vc/lib" FFMPEG_OPTS="--cpu=cortex-a7" ./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-debug --enable-optimizations --with-platform=raspberry-pi --enable-player=omxplayer --disable-x11 --disable-sdl --disable-vaapi --disable-vdpau --disable-xrandr --disable-joystick --enable-airplay --enable-mid --enable-rsxs --enable-afpclient --disable-external-ffmpeg --enable-non-free --enable-dvdcss --enable-ccache --enable-alsa --enable-libusb --enable-libbluray --enable-libcec --disable-projectm --disable-pulse
A matching IPTV-simple-client: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=109088&p=789615#p789606
Last edited by gkreidl on Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:34 am, edited 38 times in total.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

ktb

Re: Kodi 15.0-beta Debian package for Raspbian on RPi 2

Fri May 01, 2015 7:36 pm

Thank you very much!

expandables

Fri May 01, 2015 8:32 pm

Hi i got an error when i try to install

sudo ./install
dpkg: warning: downgrading kodi from 2:14.2-1wheezy to 15.0-149801
(Reading database ... 91414 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace kodi 2:14.2-1wheezy (using kodi_15.0-149801_armhf.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement kodi ...
dpkg: error processing kodi_15.0-149801_armhf.deb (--install):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/kodi/addon-helpers.cmake', which is also in package kodi-bin 2:14.2-1wheezy
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
The system user `kodi' already exists. Exiting.
Errors were encountered while processing:
 kodi_15.0-149801_armhf.deb
By thinking like an engineer you can create a raspberry pi.
Michael Jackson enthusiast.
I got the PI model B, B+ and PI 2 model B.
When will I get the A? I don't know.

gkreidl

Fri May 01, 2015 9:03 pm

As I wrote above: remove kodi and kodi.bin before installing the new version (using dpkg or apt.get).
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

expandables

Fri May 01, 2015 9:04 pm

Got it working i forgot to uninstall kodi :mrgreen:
By thinking like an engineer you can create a raspberry pi.
Michael Jackson enthusiast.
I got the PI model B, B+ and PI 2 model B.
When will I get the A? I don't know.

odroid-c1

Sat May 02, 2015 10:53 pm

Thanks! Good job!
And how to minimize kodi or switch to another desktop ?

gkreidl

Sun May 03, 2015 1:47 am

odroid-c1 wrote:Thanks! Good job!
And how to minimize kodi or switch to another desktop ?
Not possible with this version. Perhaps if compiled it with X11 support.

odroid-c1

Sun May 03, 2015 6:36 am

Tell me how to do it ?

gkreidl

Sun May 03, 2015 8:02 am

odroid-c1 wrote:Tell me how to do it ?
Basically I followed this advice
http://not-guild.de/temp/kodi.txt
with slightly different configuration settings which I've published above.

Myke

Sun May 03, 2015 11:15 am

Do you have any idea when Kodi 15 will be available in general and in particular via Michael Gorven's or the raspbian repo?

And once they are, how can I update your package with the "official" one (i.e. upgrade to 15.0)?

Thanks for making the package anyway!

gkreidl

Sun May 03, 2015 11:29 am

Myke wrote:Do you have any idea when Kodi 15 will be available in general and in particular via Michael Gorven's or the raspbian repo?

And once they are, how can I update your package with the "official" one (i.e. upgrade to 15.0)?

Thanks for making the package anyway!
1) no. The only reason for me to compile and supply it was the nasty black screen bug in 14.x. And it was a nice exercise in compiling for ARMv7.
2) Best remove the package first:
sudo dpkg -r kodi
and then install kodi and kodi.bin from the repository with ap-get or synaptic.

G160

Sun May 03, 2015 12:44 pm

Many thanks for this, but I'm still getting the black screen every so often, about half of the times I exit kodi I'm stuck staring into space .
Between that and the fact that half my Addons arent compatable with this version of kodi.....I've gone back to the other version.
Thanks for your input regardless.

gkreidl

Sun May 03, 2015 2:30 pm

G160 wrote:Many thanks for this, but I'm still getting the black screen every so often, about half of the times I exit kodi I'm stuck staring into space .
Between that and the fact that half my Addons arent compatable with this version of kodi.....I've gone back to the other version.
This script starkodi should prevent that, if fbset and x11-server-utils are installed. It's definitely not the black screen bug (where kodi us hanging).

Tom_A

Mon May 04, 2015 5:29 am

G160 wrote:Many thanks for this, but I'm still getting the black screen every so often, about half of the times I exit kodi I'm stuck staring into space .
Ahhh... broken add ons. I expected that. I'll be staying with the stable release as well. I'm using MariaDB as well for my libraries as well and I think that a new database gets generated between versions. Too much of a hassle I think to be jumping back and fourth between versions. All Kodi installs accessing the same database need to be on the same version as well for this.

G160

Mon May 04, 2015 7:07 am

Tom_A wrote:
Ahhh... broken add ons. I expected that. I'll be staying with the stable release as well. I'm using MariaDB as well for my libraries as well and I think that a new database gets generated between versions. Too much of a hassle I think to be jumping back and fourth between versions. All Kodi installs accessing the same database need to be on the same version as well for this.
It's a deal breaker for me as well. The black screen issue, although irritating, is something I can live with. I'm sure there'll be progress before long, it's excellent to have finally a kodi client/MySQL/samba server all in the same tiny box.
I find the kodi performance on raspbian virtually identical to openelec, and offers Bluetooth audio support, something that openelec has always been missing.Does Mariadb offer any advantages over MySQL?

gkreidl

Mon May 04, 2015 7:43 am

G160 wrote: Ahhh... broken add ons. I expected that. I'll be staying with the stable release as well. I'm using MariaDB as well for my libraries as well and I think that a new database gets generated between versions. Too much of a hassle I think to be jumping back and fourth between versions. All Kodi installs accessing the same database need to be on the same version as well for this.
It's a deal breaker for me as well. The black screen issue, although irritating, is something I can live with. I'm sure there'll be progress before long, it's excellent to have finally a kodi client/MySQL/samba server all in the same tiny box.
I find the kodi performance on raspbian virtually identical to openelec, and offers Bluetooth audio support, something that openelec has always been missing.Does Mariadb offer any advantages over MySQL?[/quote]

My main use of Kodi is as an alternate media player to omxplayer(GUI). It has some advantages like better configuration, much faster switching between HD TV channels etc. But the black screen bug (which apparently won't be fixed in Kodi 14) kept me from using it very often. That's why I wanted to have a better solution that I can start and stop without any problems at any time. I've only a few plugins installed and all of them are working.

Tom_A

Thu May 07, 2015 4:06 am

G160 wrote: It's a deal breaker for me as well. The black screen issue, although irritating, is something I can live with. I'm sure there'll be progress before long, it's excellent to have finally a kodi client/MySQL/samba server all in the same tiny box.
I find the kodi performance on raspbian virtually identical to openelec, and offers Bluetooth audio support, something that openelec has always been missing.Does Mariadb offer any advantages over MySQL?
There's supposed to be some minor improvements that compared to mySQL. I don't know if I can notice much of a difference at all. mySQL has been taken over by Oracle which is why some users have switched over to MariaDB. The migration was about as easy as uninstalling one and then installing the other (after backing stuff up, of course). I'm not sure if MariDB is in the repositories. It's not going to be worth it if you have to compile everything I think. I still use MySQL on the Raspberry Pi's, but I'm using a core i3 Next Unit of Computing to manage my Kodi library because that IS faster.

DougieLawson

Thu May 07, 2015 10:37 am

MariaDB is in Jessie, it's not in Wheezy. To get it installed on Wheezy you have to add strange things to /etc/apt to use the Jessie deb files.

It's beginning to diverge from MySQL and there's even a replacement for the innodb database engine.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

quelcom

Sat May 09, 2015 5:38 pm

Works like a charm. Thanks gkreidl!

Myke

Tue May 12, 2015 7:15 pm

After a few days of use I have to say it simply isn't very stable. I don't run any addons on kodi, I only use it as youtube player but often it would hang on playing the first or second video - that never happened with 14.2 which worked quite well.

BUT the black screen glitch was fixed, so it does have its advantages ;)
Might try again, once you compile a newer version. Thank you again!

with ice cream

Mon May 25, 2015 8:29 pm

Thanks for publishing the bleeding edge version. I am afraid that for me as a user of Mediaportal it isn't working. The add-on isn't compatible (it gets disabled and the following message appears in the log: "PVR - Add-on 'MediaPortal PVR Client' is using an incompatible API version. XBMC minimum API version = '1.9.6', add-on API version '1.9.2'".)

How do I downgrade?

gkreidl

Mon May 25, 2015 9:35 pm

with ice cream wrote:Thanks for publishing the bleeding edge version. I am afraid that for me as a user of Mediaportal it isn't working. The add-on isn't compatible (it gets disabled and the following message appears in the log: "PVR - Add-on 'MediaPortal PVR Client' is using an incompatible API version. XBMC minimum API version = '1.9.6', add-on API version '1.9.2'".)

How do I downgrade?
sudo dpkg -r kodi
Then reinstall kodi from the repository.

with ice cream

Thu May 28, 2015 6:13 am

gkreidl wrote:Then reinstall kodi from the repository.
Thanks!

gkreidl

Thu May 28, 2015 7:06 am

I'm currently working on a beta-2 release. This will also require new CEC libraries, as kodi-15 switched to libCEC-3.0.0 recently.

gkreidl

Fri May 29, 2015 7:40 am

I've updated kodi-15-beta to kodi-15-beta2 today and edited the first post in this thread accordingly.

Return to “Raspbian”