Raspbian Web Browser loads Mobile Web pages

Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:08 pm

I tried to open Facebook on Web (Epiphany) and it opens only to Facebook Mobile. I put in the full desktop url - and it defaults automatically to m.facebook. Any way to change this?

DougieLawson

Re: Raspbian Web Browser loads Mobile Web pages

Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:49 pm

It's doing that because Epiphany sends

Code: Select all

"Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; ARM Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/538.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/538.15 Version/6.0 Debian/7.8 (3.8.2.0-0rpi18rpi1) Epiphany/3.8.2"
as the user-agent string.

I can't find any way to change that on the Raspberry Pi version of Epiphany.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

gkreidl

Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:18 am

Some very stupid websites (developers) seem only to test for "arm" in the user agent string and then decide that it must be a mobile device.

That's one of the reasons why I added a command to change the user agent string in kweb(3). The application menu page contains some examples. You can select the user agent of Firefox Desktop (and others) with a single mouse click.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Tom_A

Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:53 am

gkreidl wrote:Some very stupid websites (developers) seem only to test for "arm" in the user agent string and then decide that it must be a mobile device.

That's one of the reasons why I added a command to change the user agent string in kweb(3). The application menu page contains some examples. You can select the user agent of Firefox Desktop (and others) with a single mouse click.
Yes, the currently accepted way to write for mobile is to use media queries to check screen size. Some web sites I have running appear as mobile just if the window is small enough to display better that way. Writing an entire site just for mobile has been a poor solution and we should be seeing less and less of this. Might try Iceweasel or Chromium to see if they exhibit the same behavior.

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”