Sparker

NOOBS SD card

Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:44 pm

I have bought a 32GB micro Sd card and I formatted and loaded NOOBS onto it through Windows.
However, the Raspberry Pi does not appear to recognise the 32 GB SD card and shows that I have no memory left. Meaning, that I cannot install other programs.
Can anyone help please?

kusti8

Re: NOOBS SD card

Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:52 pm

What does df -h say? Did you format it with size adjustment before?
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Sparker

Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:13 pm

I formatted it through windows with the SD Formatter prog.
Windows recognised the full 32 GB

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:47 pm

Paste the actual output of df -h after you install the OS itself.

Sparker

Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:35 pm

Did not format it with size adjustment. Yet I tried again with size adjustment and it still shows zero memory available.

Sparker

Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:38 pm

Sorry, but what is df -h?

xoopha

Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:46 pm

df is a command line utility that will show disk filesystems and their sizes, together with the -h parameter it will make it all the more readable.
Just open a terminal window, type df -h and press Enter, then copy whatever the command prints and paste it here.

Sparker

Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:10 pm

More info. regarding my problem with the unseen free memory on the SD card.

When I first formatted the SD card, I set a volume label for the SD card called, "RaspberryPi".

Once I removed that, everything workd fine.

Maybe it interfered with the boot-up routine?

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:14 pm

Sparker wrote:More info. regarding my problem with the unseen free memory on the SD card.
When I first formatted the SD card, I set a volume label for the SD card called, "RaspberryPi".
Once I removed that, everything workd fine.
Maybe it interfered with the boot-up routine?
Intriguing - did you replace "RaspberryPi" with another label (not "recovery")? In the past there's been an apparent issue with "unlabelled formatting". (I only occasionally use Windows & the SDA Formatter, normally I use GParted on my Ubuntu netbook and labels like "4Noobs132l" **)
Trev.
** http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virgin ... lV132.html
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

beta-tester

Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:21 pm

i was having a similar problem in my beginning of playing around with NOOPS long time ago.
i formated my SD card by hand and copied NOOBS...
then at initial boot, NOOBS told me, there is no enough space to continue install...

my problem was, i made a mistake with SD card preparation.
i did not created a vfat (FAT32) filesystem on the first partition (/dev/mmcblk0p1)
i created the filesystem on the whole SD card without creating a partition (/dev/mmcblk0)

if there is no partition on the SD card, then there is no partition table.
if there is no partition table, then NOOBS is not able to reassemble the SD card by shrinking the install partition and create additional partitions for its need.

(the SD card and its filesystem is readable/writable/accessable even there is no partitiontable.
for the OS it looks like a very huge "floppy"-disk.
but as i told, it was my mistake and by creating my filesystem on SD card in that way, i got a warning, that it is very unusual to do in that way.
BTW: also giving the vfat/FAT32 filesystem a label with small letters in it, may cause big unexpected problems in a Linux environment - filenames with small letters is not a problem, only the label of the filesystem may make troulbel)

maybe you have the same problem, and your SD card is not partitionized in the right way (as it should).
i don't know, how SDFormat reacts, if your SD card is not partitionized initially, if it will recreate them.
maybe there is an additional option to do so.
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi B (256MB), B (512MB), B+, ZeroW; 2B; 3B, 3B+; 4B (4GB)

Sparker

Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:04 pm

Very interesting comments.
The exact label format I used was, "Raspberry Pi", without the quotes.
After several attempts to go beyond the boot stage, I simply deleted the label and left it empty.
I'm not clever enough to explain how that alteration changed things.

Sparker

Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:10 pm

Thinking about it further, I can't be certain if I inserted a space between Raspberry and Pi.

Return to “Raspbian”