LeM12
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:53 pm

Return to LXDE

Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:00 pm

I was experiencing with Raspbain, I logged out and logged in with
Openbox. Then a black screen with the cursor appeared. Later I realized that that's it, Openbox looks exactly this and only the right mouse button works. Then I restarted with "shutdown", but Openbox again reappeared, it seems it was set as my default desktop environment.
The only option is to go to terminal and run "startx". But I want LXDE autostart like it was before.
Also when I try Shutdown>Logout in LXDE, the login window does not appear but the command line is shown instead. How can I return everything back?

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 21081
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Return to LXDE

Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:31 pm

LeM12 wrote:I was experiencing with Raspbain, I logged out and logged in with
Openbox. Then a black screen with the cursor appeared. Later I realized that that's it, Openbox looks exactly this and only the right mouse button works. Then I restarted with "shutdown", but Openbox again reappeared, it seems it was set as my default desktop environment.
The only option is to go to terminal and run "startx". But I want LXDE autostart like it was before.
Also when I try Shutdown>Logout in LXDE, the login window does not appear but the command line is shown instead. How can I return everything back?

Code: Select all

sudo raspi-config
http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio ... -config.md
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

LeM12
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:53 pm

Re: Return to LXDE

Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:42 pm

Don't think that I already didn't this. I tried to set auto-login to the command line, then set back to the GUI, but nothing's changed. Still Openbox is loaded at the start, I have to terminate it and run LXDE manually. Why on earth at all is Openbox pre-installed in Raspbian if it is absolutely unusable and once activated it's impossible to change back easily the default DE (LXDE)? Such hidden "traps" for users are frustrating. At least somewhere must be said "Do not login into Openbox!".

3corey2
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:59 am

Re: Return to LXDE

Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:44 pm

http://www.circuitbasics.com/setup-lcd- ... pberry-pi/

if that didnt work try going through this backwards. (just the last step really)
ras pi 2, gotta love it.

klricks
Posts: 6622
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:01 am
Location: Grants Pass, OR, USA
Contact: Website

Re: Return to LXDE

Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:32 am

What happens when in Openbox you right click and choose Exit?
For me it brings me back to a GUI login prompt where I choose [Default Xsession] and login: pi paassword: rapsberry
Then everything is back to normal.

I can switch between the 3 choices at the GUI login without any problem.
Note I have boot to desktop enabled before doing any of this.

Note the 3 choices are:
1 - (Default Xsession) = The new desktop
2 - (LXDE) = The old desktop before Dec 2014. Has [OTHER] in menu etc.
3 - (Openbox)

Shutting down or rebooting from terminal will keep the selected choice. To change you select logout (LXDE) or Exit (Openbox)
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

gkreidl
Posts: 6139
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Return to LXDE

Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:58 am

LeM12 wrote:... Why on earth at all is Openbox pre-installed in Raspbian if it is absolutely unusable and once activated it's impossible to change back easily the default DE (LXDE)? Such hidden "traps" for users are frustrating. At least somewhere must be said "Do not login into Openbox!".
Openbox is the window manager used by LXDE. It can also be used standalone. I use a very simple desktop enviroment using only openbox and tint2 task bar. I don't start it with startx but with xinit (and a script file).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

LeM12
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:53 pm

Re: Return to LXDE

Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:41 pm

klricks wrote:What happens when in Openbox you right click and choose Exit?
For me it brings me back to a GUI login prompt where I choose [Default Xsession] and login: pi paassword: rapsberry
Then everything is back to normal.
Thanks very much! It was so obvious. Silly me! :D

Return to “Raspbian”