alias_neo

Re: Instructions for building XBMC for Raspbian

Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:53 pm

I noticed your instructions explicitly disables a lot of useful features in the configure step, hence the lack of cec support. "--disable-pulse". I'm going to try build with a bunch of these features not disabled and see where I get, but it might be nice to see the instructions modified not to turn off these useful features.
http://2byt.es - Just my two bytes - RPi - Android - Arduino - Blog

alias_neo

Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:24 pm

alias_neo wrote:I noticed your instructions explicitly disables a lot of useful features in the configure step, hence the lack of cec support. "--disable-pulse". I'm going to try build with a bunch of these features not disabled and see where I get, but it might be nice to see the instructions modified not to turn off these useful features.

My bad, the pulse one is not the correct flag. "--enable-libcec" is the correct one.

I'm building now so will report back tomorrow on progress, if it works, it would be nice to see this flag added to the instructions so people get CEC when they build.

Emil

Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:15 pm

alias_neo wrote:
alias_neo wrote:I noticed your instructions explicitly disables a lot of useful features in the configure step, hence the lack of cec support. "--disable-pulse". I'm going to try build with a bunch of these features not disabled and see where I get, but it might be nice to see the instructions modified not to turn off these useful features.

My bad, the pulse one is not the correct flag. "--enable-libcec" is the correct one.

I'm building now so will report back tomorrow on progress, if it works, it would be nice to see this flag added to the instructions so people get CEC when they build.
I used the flag --enable-pulse, config seems to get what I'm going for as config responded that libcec should be enabled.

I just started building and will be away until monday afternoon so I'll report back then.

However, i recently discovered that my television doesnt support CEC, that will not stop me from trying to implement it though.

Just don't forget to install libcec-dev.

alias_neo

Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:13 pm

Emil wrote:
alias_neo wrote:

I used the flag --enable-pulse, config seems to get what I'm going for as config responded that libcec should be enabled.

I just started building and will be away until monday afternoon so I'll report back then.

However, i recently discovered that my television doesnt support CEC, that will not stop me from trying to implement it though.

Just don't forget to install libcec-dev.
Actually, as it turns out, the libCEC from the packages repository is too old (1.6.0) but XBMC wants 1.8.0 so I compiled libCEC from the git and installed, then CEC is automatically detected by the ./config for XBMC and is enabled.

I tweaked the makefile a little to enable openmax (foundation mentioned the device is capable on the front page) and to enable rpi-cec-apis.

Will report back on progress when it's done. (it's still configuring, for about the 20th time but I think i finally got it this time.).

Edit, the pulse thing is a red herring, it's actually for Pulse Audio and is unrelated.

alias_neo

Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:06 pm

I configured mine slightly differently but build failed at linking of XBMC.bin this was due to insufficient memory, so I increased swap to 200M, still not big enough, then to 300M which is fine but it has been linking for the last 2 hours, htop says the process is status "D" which is usually "stuck", am I just being impatient and is the linking stage supposed to take so long? Or is it actually stuck?

Emil

Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:16 pm

alias_neo wrote:I configured mine slightly differently but build failed at linking of XBMC.bin this was due to insufficient memory, so I increased swap to 200M, still not big enough, then to 300M which is fine but it has been linking for the last 2 hours, htop says the process is status "D" which is usually "stuck", am I just being impatient and is the linking stage supposed to take so long? Or is it actually stuck?
D stands for uninterruptable sleep, which I guess can mean either that the linking process is doing something it shouldnt or that you have lost contact with whatever memory you were working in.

I actually compiled without using swap, I just ran it with 240/16 memory split. It worked last time I compiled XBMC. However, I have had errors compiling this time. The thing is I don't even know what errors I've had as I got no logs of it, so I will probably recompile tonight with the new libcec.

alias_neo

Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:22 pm

Emil wrote:
alias_neo wrote:I configured mine slightly differently but build failed at linking of XBMC.bin this was due to insufficient memory, so I increased swap to 200M, still not big enough, then to 300M which is fine but it has been linking for the last 2 hours, htop says the process is status "D" which is usually "stuck", am I just being impatient and is the linking stage supposed to take so long? Or is it actually stuck?
D stands for uninterruptable sleep, which I guess can mean either that the linking process is doing something it shouldnt or that you have lost contact with whatever memory you were working in.

I actually compiled without using swap, I just ran it with 240/16 memory split. It worked last time I compiled XBMC. However, I have had errors compiling this time. The thing is I don't even know what errors I've had as I got no logs of it, so I will probably recompile tonight with the new libcec.

Well, 240/16 came nowhere near to being enough memory for my compile, anyway I got it built, the D state was simply because of all the I/O it was doing. So, it runs fine now with CEC, but, when I run "xbmc" it errors and shows the "hardware accelerated openGL required" then returns to the console and prints "error: unable to open display" and then starts xbmc which then works like normal. I just need to figure out what that initial error is from.

I needed 260MB of swap on top of having 240/16 split, but I used some very different ./configure options, to the ones in the OP instructions.

framil

Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:37 pm

kiasa wrote:i my friend, :D
like u i also have a problem when i make the build

Code: Select all

[email protected] ~/xbmc-rbp $ make -C tools/rbp/depends/xbmc/
the output is

make: Entering directory `/home/pi/xbmc-rbp/tools/rbp/depends/xbmc'
cd ../../../../; ./bootstrap
autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
autoreconf: configure.in: not using Gettext
autoreconf: running: aclocal --output=aclocal.m4t
Can't exec "aclocal": No such file or directory at /usr/share/autoconf/Autom4te/FileUtils.pm line 326.
autoreconf: failed to run aclocal: No such file or directory
make: *** [configure] Error 1
make: Leaving directory `/home/pi/xbmc-rbp/tools/rbp/depends/xbmc'
here the procedure i'm following
http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianXBMC
want u share some info with me ?? thanks and bye
Stefano

nummy wrote:
sotris99 wrote:Hello i have some problems to make the build...

CC      libavcodec/adpcm_data.o
CC      libavcodec/adx.o
CC      libavcodec/adx_parser.o
CC      libavcodec/adxdec.o
CC      libavcodec/alac.o
CC      libavcodec/allcodecs.o
CC      libavcodec/alsdec.o
CC      libavcodec/amrnbdec.o
CC      libavcodec/amrwbdec.o
CC      libavcodec/anm.o
CC      libavcodec/ansi.o
libavcodec/ansi.c: In function βdecode_frameβ:
libavcodec/ansi.c:224:35: warning: βheightβ may be used uninitialized in this function [-Wuninitialized]
libavcodec/ansi.c:162:24: note: βheightβ was declared here
libavcodec/ansi.c:224:35: warning: βwidthβ may be used uninitialized in this function [-Wuninitialized]
libavcodec/ansi.c:162:17: note: βwidthβ was declared here
CC      libavcodec/apedec.o
AS      libavcodec/arm/ac3dsp_arm.o
AS      libavcodec/arm/ac3dsp_armv6.o
CC      libavcodec/arm/ac3dsp_init_arm.o
CC      libavcodec/arm/dcadsp_init_arm.o
AS      libavcodec/arm/dsputil_arm.o
AS      libavcodec/arm/dsputil_armv6.o
CC      libavcodec/arm/dsputil_init_arm.o
CC      libavcodec/arm/dsputil_init_armv5te.o
CC      libavcodec/arm/dsputil_init_armv6.o
CC      libavcodec/arm/dsputil_init_vfp.o
AS      libavcodec/arm/dsputil_vfp.o
CC      libavcodec/arm/fft_fixed_init_arm.o
CC      libavcodec/arm/fft_init_arm.o
CC      libavcodec/arm/fmtconvert_init_arm.o
AS      libavcodec/arm/fmtconvert_vfp.o
CC      libavcodec/arm/h264dsp_init_arm.o
CC      libavcodec/arm/h264pred_init_arm.o
AS      libavcodec/arm/jrevdct_arm.o
AS      libavcodec/arm/mpegaudiodsp_fixed_armv6.o
CC      libavcodec/arm/mpegaudiodsp_init_arm.o
CC      libavcodec/arm/mpegvideo_arm.o
CC      libavcodec/arm/mpegvideo_armv5te.o
AS      libavcodec/arm/mpegvideo_armv5te_s.o
AS      libavcodec/arm/simple_idct_arm.o
AS      libavcodec/arm/simple_idct_armv5te.o
AS      libavcodec/arm/simple_idct_armv6.o
CC      libavcodec/arm/vp56dsp_init_arm.o
AS      libavcodec/arm/vp8_armv6.o
AS      libavcodec/arm/vp8dsp_armv6.o
CC      libavcodec/arm/vp8dsp_init_arm.o
CC      libavcodec/ass.o
CC      libavcodec/ass_split.o
CC      libavcodec/assdec.o
CC      libavcodec/asv1.o
CC      libavcodec/atrac.o
CC      libavcodec/atrac1.o
libavcodec/atrac1.c: In function βatrac1_decode_frameβ:
libavcodec/atrac1.c:322:47: warning: to be safe all intermediate pointers in cast from βfloat **β to βconst float **β must be βconstβ qualified [-Wcast-qual]
CC      libavcodec/atrac3.o
libavcodec/atrac3.c: In function βatrac3_decode_frameβ:
libavcodec/atrac3.c:879:38: warning: to be safe all intermediate pointers in cast from βfloat **β to βconst float **β must be βconstβ qualified [-Wcast-qual]
libavcodec/atrac3.c:883:47: warning: to be safe all intermediate pointers in cast from βfloat **β to βconst float **β must be βconstβ qualified [-Wcast-qual]
CC      libavcodec/audioconvert.o
CC      libavcodec/aura.o
CC      libavcodec/avfft.o
CC      libavcodec/avpacket.o
libavcodec/avpacket.c: In function βav_dup_packetβ:
libavcodec/avpacket.c:130:5: warning: βav_destruct_packet_nofreeβ is deprecated (declared at libavcodec/avpacket.c:27) [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
CC      libavcodec/avs.o
libavcodec/avs.c: In function βavs_decode_frameβ:
libavcodec/get_bits.h:278:8: warning: βchange_map.size_in_bits_plus8β may be used uninitialized in this function [-Wuninitialized]
libavcodec/avs.c:60:19: note: βchange_map.size_in_bits_plus8β was declared here
libavcodec/get_bits.h:261:26: warning: βchange_map.bufferβ may be used uninitialized in this function [-Wuninitialized]
libavcodec/avs.c:60:19: note: βchange_map.bufferβ was declared here
CC      libavcodec/bethsoftvideo.o
CC      libavcodec/bfi.o
CC      libavcodec/bgmc.o
CC      libavcodec/bink.o
libavcodec/bink.c: In function βbinkb_decode_planeβ:
libavcodec/bink.c:860:17: warning: passing argument 4 of βread_dct_coeffsβ from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
libavcodec/bink.c:593:12: note: expected βconst int32_t (*)[64]β but argument is of type βint32_t (*)[64]β
libavcodec/bink.c:893:17: warning: passing argument 4 of βread_dct_coeffsβ from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
libavcodec/bink.c:593:12: note: expected βconst int32_t (*)[64]β but argument is of type βint32_t (*)[64]β
CC      libavcodec/binkaudio.o
libavcodec/binkaudio.c: In function βdecode_blockβ:
libavcodec/binkaudio.c:269:43: warning: to be safe all intermediate pointers in cast from βfloat **β to βconst float **β must be βconstβ qualified [-Wcast-qual]
libavcodec/binkaudio.c:271:48: warning: to be safe all intermediate pointers in cast from βfloat **β to βconst float **β must be βconstβ qualified [-Wcast-qual]
CC      libavcodec/binkdsp.o
CC      libavcodec/bintext.o
libavcodec/bintext.c:92:13: warning: βhscrollβ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
CC      libavcodec/bitstream.o
CC      libavcodec/bitstream_filter.o
libavcodec/bitstream_filter.c: In function βav_bitstream_filter_filterβ:
libavcodec/bitstream_filter.c:62:15: warning: cast discards β__attribute__((const))β qualifier from pointer target type [-Wcast-qual]
CC      libavcodec/bmp.o
libavcodec/bmp.c: In function βbmp_decode_frameβ:
libavcodec/bmp.c:177:22: warning: βrgb[2]β may be used uninitialized in this function [-Wuninitialized]
libavcodec/bmp.c:177:22: warning: βrgb[1]β may be used uninitialized in this function [-Wuninitialized]
libavcodec/bmp.c:172:21: warning: βrgb[0]β may be used uninitialized in this function [-Wuninitialized]
CC      libavcodec/bmv.o
CC      libavcodec/c93.o
CC      libavcodec/cabac.o
CC      libavcodec/cavs.o
CC      libavcodec/cavs_parser.o
CC      libavcodec/cavsdec.o
CC      libavcodec/cavsdsp.o
CC      libavcodec/cdgraphics.o
CC      libavcodec/celp_filters.o
CC      libavcodec/celp_math.o
CC      libavcodec/cga_data.o
CC      libavcodec/chomp_bsf.o
libavcodec/chomp_bsf.c: In function βchomp_filterβ:
libavcodec/chomp_bsf.c:34:16: warning: cast discards β__attribute__((const))β qualifier from pointer target type [-Wcast-qual]
CC      libavcodec/cinepak.o
CC      libavcodec/cljr.o
CC      libavcodec/cook.o
HOSTCC  libavcodec/cos_tablegen.o
HOSTCC  libavcodec/cos_tablegen
GEN     libavcodec/cos_fixed_tables.c
CC      libavcodec/cos_fixed_tables.o
GEN     libavcodec/cos_tables.c
CC      libavcodec/cos_tables.o
CC      libavcodec/cscd.o
CC      libavcodec/cyuv.o
CC      libavcodec/dca.o
CC      libavcodec/dca_parser.o
CC      libavcodec/dcadsp.o
CC      libavcodec/dct.o
CC      libavcodec/dct32_fixed.o
CC      libavcodec/dct32_float.o
CC      libavcodec/dfa.o
CC      libavcodec/dirac.o
CC      libavcodec/dirac_arith.o
CC      libavcodec/dirac_parser.o
CC      libavcodec/diracdec.o
CC      libavcodec/diracdsp.o
CC      libavcodec/dnxhd_parser.o
CC      libavcodec/dnxhddata.o
CC      libavcodec/dnxhddec.o
CC      libavcodec/dpcm.o
CC      libavcodec/dpx.o
CC      libavcodec/dsicinav.o
CC      libavcodec/dsputil.o
CC      libavcodec/dump_extradata_bsf.o
HOSTCC  libavcodec/dv_tablegen.o
HOSTCC  libavcodec/dv_tablegen
GEN     libavcodec/dv_tables.h
CC      libavcodec/dv.o
libavcodec/dv.c: In function βdvvideo_decode_frameβ:
libavcodec/dv.c:1097:12: warning: assignment discards βconstβ qualifier from pointer target type [enabled by default]
libavcodec/dv.c: At top level:
libavcodec/dv.c:350:34: warning: βdvvideo_init_encoderβ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
libavcodec/dv.c:930:12: warning: βdv_encode_video_segmentβ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
CC      libavcodec/dvbsub_parser.o
CC      libavcodec/dvbsubdec.o
libavcodec/dvbsubdec.c: In function βdvbsub_parse_region_segmentβ:
libavcodec/dvbsubdec.c:1034:9: warning: variable βversionβ set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
CC      libavcodec/dvdata.o
CC      libavcodec/dvdsub_parser.o
CC      libavcodec/dvdsubdec.o
CC      libavcodec/dwt.o
libavcodec/dwt.c: In function βspatial_compose_dd97i_dyβ:
libavcodec/dwt.c:1080:49: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
libavcodec/dwt.c:1081:49: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
libavcodec/dwt.c: In function βspatial_compose_dirac53i_dyβ:
libavcodec/dwt.c:1104:49: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
libavcodec/dwt.c:1105:49: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
libavcodec/dwt.c: In function βspatial_compose_dd137i_dyβ:
libavcodec/dwt.c:1127:49: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
libavcodec/dwt.c:1128:49: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
libavcodec/dwt.c: In function βspatial_compose_haari_dyβ:
libavcodec/dwt.c:1152:46: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
libavcodec/dwt.c: In function βspatial_compose_fidelityβ:
libavcodec/dwt.c:1168:49: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
libavcodec/dwt.c:1169:49: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
libavcodec/dwt.c: In function βspatial_compose_daub97i_dyβ:
libavcodec/dwt.c:1193:49: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
libavcodec/dwt.c:1194:49: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
libavcodec/dwt.c:1195:49: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
libavcodec/dwt.c:1196:49: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
libavcodec/dwt.c: In function βff_spatial_idwt_init2β:
libavcodec/dwt.c:1303:32: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
libavcodec/dwt.c:1304:32: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
libavcodec/dwt.c:1310:32: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
libavcodec/dwt.c:1311:32: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
libavcodec/dwt.c:1317:32: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
libavcodec/dwt.c:1318:32: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
libavcodec/dwt.c:1325:29: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
libavcodec/dwt.c:1334:32: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
libavcodec/dwt.c:1335:32: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
libavcodec/dwt.c:1340:32: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
libavcodec/dwt.c:1341:32: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
libavcodec/dwt.c:1342:32: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
libavcodec/dwt.c:1343:32: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
CC      libavcodec/dxa.o
CC      libavcodec/dxtory.o
CC      libavcodec/eac3_data.o
CC      libavcodec/eac3dec.o
CC      libavcodec/eacmv.o
CC      libavcodec/eaidct.o
CC      libavcodec/eamad.o
libavcodec/eamad.c: In function βdecode_frameβ:
libavcodec/eamad.c:97:44: warning: βmv_yβ may be used uninitialized in this function [-Wuninitialized]
libavcodec/eamad.c:198:15: note: βmv_yβ was declared here
libavcodec/eamad.c:97:97: warning: βmv_xβ may be used uninitialized in this function [-Wuninitialized]
libavcodec/eamad.c:198:9: note: βmv_xβ was declared here
CC      libavcodec/eatgq.o
CC      libavcodec/eatgv.o
CC      libavcodec/eatqi.o
CC      libavcodec/error_resilience.o
CC      libavcodec/escape124.o
CC      libavcodec/escape130.o
CC      libavcodec/faandct.o
CC      libavcodec/faanidct.o
CC      libavcodec/faxcompr.o
CC      libavcodec/fft_fixed.o
CC      libavcodec/fft_float.o
CC      libavcodec/ffv1.o
libavcodec/ffv1.c:238:13: warning: βfind_best_stateβ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
libavcodec/ffv1.c:327:39: warning: βput_symbolβ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
libavcodec/ffv1.c: In function βdecode_frameβ:
libavcodec/ffv1.c:1674:29: warning: βcontext_countβ may be used uninitialized in this function [-Wuninitialized]
libavcodec/ffv1.c:1544:15: note: βcontext_countβ was declared here
CC      libavcodec/ffwavesynth.o
CC      libavcodec/flac.o
CC      libavcodec/flac_parser.o
libavcodec/flac_parser.c: In function βflac_parseβ:
libavcodec/flac_parser.c:572:50: warning: cast discards β__attribute__((const))β qualifier from pointer target type [-Wcast-qual]
CC      libavcodec/flacdata.o
CC      libavcodec/flacdec.o
CC      libavcodec/flashsv.o
CC      libavcodec/flicvideo.o
CC      libavcodec/flvdec.o
CC      libavcodec/fmtconvert.o
CC      libavcodec/fraps.o
CC      libavcodec/frwu.o
CC      libavcodec/g722.o
CC      libavcodec/g722dec.o
CC      libavcodec/g723_1.o
CC      libavcodec/g726.o
CC      libavcodec/g729dec.o
libavcodec/g729dec.c: In function βdecode_frameβ:
libavcodec/g729dec.c:423:14: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
CC      libavcodec/g729postfilter.o
CC      libavcodec/gifdec.o
CC      libavcodec/golomb.o
CC      libavcodec/gsm_parser.o
CC      libavcodec/gsmdec.o
CC      libavcodec/gsmdec_data.o
CC      libavcodec/h261.o
CC      libavcodec/h261_parser.o
CC      libavcodec/h261dec.o
CC      libavcodec/h263.o
CC      libavcodec/h263_parser.o
CC      libavcodec/h263dec.o
CC      libavcodec/h264.o
libavcodec/h264.c: In function βdecode_slice_headerβ:
libavcodec/h264.c:2925:35: warning: to be safe all intermediate pointers in cast from βuint8_t **β to βconst uint8_t **β must be βconstβ qualified [-Wcast-qual]
libavcodec/h264.c: In function βfill_filter_caches_interβ:
libavcodec/h264.c:3282:34: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
libavcodec/h264.c:3297:38: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
libavcodec/h264.c:3330:30: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
libavcodec/h264.c: In function βdecode_frameβ:
libavcodec/h264.c:4078:21: warning: initialization discards βconstβ qualifier from pointer target type [enabled by default]
arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc: internal compiler error: Killed (program cc1)
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.6/README.Bugs> for instructions.
make[2]: *** [libavcodec/h264.o] Error 4
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/pi/xbmc-rbp/lib/ffmpeg'
make[1]: *** [ffmpeg] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/pi/xbmc-rbp/lib'
make: *** [dvdpcodecs] Error 2
I get the same errors as you when I try to make :(
'arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc: internal compiler error: Killed (program cc1)' means you have out of memory problem. Apply some moderate overclocking (if you have not already done so) by editing these lines in your /boot/config.txt file to:

arm_freq=850
sdram_freq=500

Reboot your Pi,

cd xbmc-rbp/
Then try again to 'make'.
If that is unsuccessful, then also increase the swappiness. The swappiness parameter controls the tendency of the kernel to move processes out of physical memory and into the swap cache. Swappiness can have a value of between 0 and 100. The default in Raspbian is 1. Check this with the command:

cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
Change the swappiness to 10 temporarily (will revert to 1 on reboot) with the command:

sudo sysctl vm.swappiness=10
Then try again to 'make'.

Hope this works. Increasing the swappiness temporarily to 10 should not seriously affect the life of your SD card.

Darkness

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:46 pm

I had no problem following the instructions here: http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianXBMC

I even compiled it with libcec support adding these simple steps to the instructions:

somewhere before doing ./configure on xbmc:

git clone git://github.com/Pulse-Eight/libcec.git
sudo apt-get install liblockdev1-dev
cd libcec
autoreconf -vif
./configure
make
sude make install
cd ..
and for the ./configure command from XBMC, add the option: --enable-libcec

However, when I want to start XBMC, it complains:
xbmc needs hardware accelerated opengl rendering.
Install an appropriate graphics driver

So at this moment it does not want to start yet, but at least compiling with libcec seems to be working out of the box.

Do I need to set some extra options somewhere?
I am running a raspbian image from a few weeks ago, but I did update it using apt-get update, apt-get upgrade and the rpi-update script.

alias_neo

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:49 pm

Darkness wrote:I had no problem following the instructions here: http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianXBMC

I even compiled it with libcec support adding these simple steps to the instructions:

somewhere before doing ./configure on xbmc:

git clone git://github.com/Pulse-Eight/libcec.git
sudo apt-get install liblockdev1-dev
cd libcec
autoreconf -vif
./configure
make
sude make install
cd ..
and for the ./configure command from XBMC, add the option: --enable-libcec

However, when I want to start XBMC, it complains:
xbmc needs hardware accelerated opengl rendering.
Install an appropriate graphics driver

So at this moment it does not want to start yet, but at least compiling with libcec seems to be working out of the box.

Do I need to set some extra options somewhere?
I am running a raspbian image from a few weeks ago, but I did update it using apt-get update, apt-get upgrade and the rpi-update script.
This is exactly how I compiled, I found that I had to switch for a 128/128 memory split for it to run, but I still get the openGL warning first then it starts... weird.

Darkness

Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:26 pm

another thing, I see a few log in the home directory which contains an error about the libcec:
ERROR: Unsupported libCEC interface version. 5634 is greater than the version XBMC supports (5888)

though 5634 does not really seem greater than 5888 to me :mrgreen:
Does xbmc actually require openGL? I read here that it should be using EGL:
http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic ... 1ba#p18108

alias_neo

Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:44 pm

Darkness wrote:another thing, I see a few log in the home directory which contains an error about the libcec:
ERROR: Unsupported libCEC interface version. 5634 is greater than the version XBMC supports (5888)

though 5634 does not really seem greater than 5888 to me :mrgreen:
Does xbmc actually require openGL? I read here that it should be using EGL:
http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic ... 1ba#p18108
Yeh, I saw loads of this error, I solved it by uninstalling libcec from apt-get ... go figure.

Diaoul

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:25 am

AFAIK Raspbian provides libcec 1.6.x whereas RPi support has been introduced with the 1.8.x releases.
This is never gonna work until Raspbian updates libcec to 1.8.x
--or--
You can manually compile libcec 1.8.x on the RPi and install it that way

alias_neo

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:52 am

Diaoul wrote:AFAIK Raspbian provides libcec 1.6.x whereas RPi support has been introduced with the 1.8.x releases.
This is never gonna work until Raspbian updates libcec to 1.8.x
--or--
You can manually compile libcec 1.8.x on the RPi and install it that way
That's what I did, compiled it, and made sure to uninstall the version from apt.

Darkness

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:14 pm

I compared my ./configure output with the one on the raspbianXBMC page and except for the added libcec support and mysql support, they are identical.

So I suspect a difference somewhere in my raspbian image and the one others here are using to successfully compile an run xbmc, probably related to video modes.

/home/pi/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log contains the following:
http://pastebin.com/iL9hzVvS

note the last few lines:

00:11:28 T:1103012400   ERROR: EGL failed to return any matching configurations: 1
00:11:28 T:1103012400  NOTICE: EGL not configured correctly. Let's try to do that now...
00:11:28 T:1103012400   ERROR: EGL failed to return any matching configurations: 1
00:11:28 T:1103012400   ERROR: EGL not configured correctly to create a surface
00:11:28 T:1103012400   FATAL: CApplication::Create: Unable to create window

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:22 pm

Darkness wrote:I compared my ./configure output with the one on the raspbianXBMC page and except for the added libcec support and mysql support, they are identical.

So I suspect a difference somewhere in my raspbian image and the one others here are using to successfully compile an run xbmc, probably related to video modes.

/home/pi/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log contains the following:
http://pastebin.com/iL9hzVvS

note the last few lines:

00:11:28 T:1103012400  NOTICE: EGL not configured correctly. Let's try to do that now...
00:11:28 T:1103012400   ERROR: EGL not configured correctly to create a surface
00:11:28 T:1103012400   FATAL: CApplication::Create: Unable to create window
Might be this:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 9&p=161414

The instructions are wrong. mesa egl and gl libs should not be installed.

Darkness

Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:23 am

dom wrote: Might be this:

that could be indeed related. I had seen reference to that earlier in this thread but I did not see which packages exactly to uninstall.
I'll try this tonight. However, I do not have issues building it like he did.

dom

Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:39 am

Darkness wrote:
dom wrote: Might be this:

that could be indeed related. I had seen reference to that earlier in this thread but I did not see which packages exactly to uninstall.
I'll try this tonight. However, I do not have issues building it like he did.
sudo apt-get remove libegl1-mesa-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libgles2-mesa-dev

alias_neo

Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:57 am

I found that following the Instructions as far as the dependencies was fine, then for the configure stage, check out the configure flags in the Makefile for XBMC in the respository: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc-rbp/blob/m ... c/Makefile

I used that same set of configure flags with the exception that I ADDED "--enable-cec" and I REMOVED "--disable-openmax".

I compiled libcec from the repository making sure to compile it with Raspberry Pi support enabled.

It all works great with the exception that I first get the "OpenGL" required message, then it starts.

I did this on a fresh install of Raspbian, I had to use a 300MB swap file and I had previously ran rpi-update (Hexxeh's script).

I'm reluctant to share exact steps I used because I feel my buld process is flawed, both due to the large swap requirement, and because of the imperfection of having the opengl warning just before XBMC starts.

Other than that, it appears to function correctly with no problems I have noticed yet.

smonkey

Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:53 pm

I've been keeping up (as much as possible) with distributions like XBian and Raspbmc, whilst all the time wanting to actually give it a go myself.

I've noticed a few people saying that the following repo should be used:
https://github.com/huceke/xbmc/tree/raspberrypi
instead of the xbmc-rbp one, as it's more up to date with mainline.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I haven't actually been able to find anyone official saying that this is the preferred repository now.

I'd also recommend using --enable-nfs and --enable-airplay (I guess a few people will want it).

It's probably also worth updating the guide to include adding pulse eight cec (from Darkness' post here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 13#p160813)
Last edited by smonkey on Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alias_neo

Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:57 pm

smonkey wrote:I've been keeping up (as much as possible) with distributions like XBian and Raspbmc, whilst all the time wanting to actually give it a go myself.

I've noticed a few people saying that the following repo should be used:

Can anyone shed some light on this? I haven't actually been able to find anyone official saying that this is the preferred repository now.

I'd also recommend using --enable-nfs and --enable-airplay (I guess a few people will want it)
Some of these are set to auto so as long as you don't explicitly disable, and you have the appropriate development package installed, it will be compiled in anyway.

Montala

Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:16 pm

Judging by the comments made in this particular thread, and in other also, there is obviously a great deal of interest in an XBMC 'version' of Raspbian.

I know that others, such as raspbmc are already available, but it is not everyone who has the knowledge, or expertise, to build their own image.

What I would like to see is an 'official' Raspbian XBMC image, which could easily be download, and installed by the 'average' user, and also kept regularly updated.

Is this something which is currently under consideration, or indeed perhaps even already available?

Thanks! :)

dom

Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:23 pm

smonkey wrote: I've noticed a few people saying that the following repo should be used:
Yes, it has more bug fixes and that is where bug fixes will go (until R-Pi patches are accepted into mainline).
xbmc-rbp is obsolete now.

alias_neo

Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:24 pm

Montala wrote:Judging by the comments made in this particular thread, and in other also, there is obviously a great deal of interest in an XBMC 'version' of Raspbian.

I know that others, such as raspbmc are already available, but it is not everyone who has the knowledge, or expertise, to build their own image.

What I would like to see is an 'official' Raspbian XBMC image, which could easily be download, and installed by the 'average' user, and also kept regularly updated.

Is this something which is currently under consideration, or indeed perhaps even already available?

Thanks! :)
Actually, it'd make more sense to just have an official build of XBMC in the package repository so anyone with Raspbian can just install it (if they choose) with apt-get.

Montala

Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:54 pm

alias_neo wrote: Actually, it'd make more sense to just have an official build of XBMC in the package repository so anyone with Raspbian can just install it (if they choose) with apt-get.
If it is indeed as easy as that, then that would be great... but surely if it was, someone would already have done it by now?

Return to “Raspbian”