jonolo

Re: Instructions for building XBMC for Raspbian

Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:00 am

Oh, forgot to ask, anyone that have got a MCE remote working? I was trying to get it working with LIRC but to no success...

lsusb generates:

Code: Select all

[email protected] /usr/bin $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9512 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0471:060c Philips (or NXP) Consumer Infrared Transceiver (HP)
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 046d:0b07 Logitech, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 046d:c71e Logitech, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 046d:c71f Logitech, Inc. diNovo Mini Wireless Keyboard
Cheers

Jonas

BBsan2k

Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:35 am

My MCE worked OOB with XBMC. I have to add some hotkeys to powerdown my HDD, but functions as play/pause/stop and arrow keys work without any reconfiguration!

payneardo

Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:47 am

Hi,

Is anybody else trying to get HDMI -CEC working ??

I have played about with the code here which is for openelec and raspbmc but I assume its similar (sorry I am on a steep learning curve here and trying to get to grips with it, normally a windows bod but now with some experience of debian :) )

https://github.com/olajep/rpi-cecd

on raspbmc they have compiled it (rpi-cecd)

http://raspbmc.com/downloads/bin/remotes/

and I have put this in to the /usr/bin folder and chmodded it and also made it an executable but getting errors (which sorry I don't understand) and not sure how to get it to run along with xbmc. Just putting this out there in case somebody with more knowledge (not difficult :D )can say ho yeah you just need to do this :) but will keep googling and trying different things (which I can hopefully remember) to try and get it working

tomaz

Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:11 am

Anyone know what are supported video formats / video files which can be played on XBMC compiled on Raspbian?

Idea is to use windows machine with DLNA media server and to transcode (on fly) whatever it is not supported for this XBMC.

Tomaz.

itsonlyme

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:43 pm

fbset.

In order to get XBMC to exit correctly do I just add the line "fbset" in the location given above, or do I need to follow "fbset" with options representing the "new" display values?

Updating

Do the apt-get upgrade and update procedures also keep XBMC updated or do I need to follow an additional procedure for that?

Thanks

Malcolm
Last edited by itsonlyme on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonolo

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:46 pm

BBsan2k wrote:My MCE worked OOB with XBMC. I have to add some hotkeys to powerdown my HDD, but functions as play/pause/stop and arrow keys work without any reconfiguration!
Do you have any additional modules loaded or should MCE be supported by kernel? I had it working with both raspbmc and openelec...

Cheers

Jonas

payneardo

Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:33 pm

is anybody else having an issue after a period of time there is no display. Went back to it and had a blank display but could connect via winscp and also the android remote and play my videos but nothing on screen (I am connected via an Onkyo receiver). on a reboot it was OK again but not sure how long with no activity it does it??

Just in case I have just reflashed the latest image to see if was anything I have done :?

silas

Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:41 pm

tomaz wrote:Anyone know what are supported video formats / video files which can be played on XBMC compiled on Raspbian?

Idea is to use windows machine with DLNA media server and to transcode (on fly) whatever it is not supported for this XBMC.

Tomaz.
Everything encoded in h.264 should work. Other formats will be nearly unusable. H.264 is the only one that's decoded on the GPU.

itsonlyme wrote:fbset.

In order to get XBMC to exit correctly do I just add the line "fbset" in the location given above, or do I need to follow "fbset" with options representing the "new" display values?

Updating

Do the apt-get upgrade and update procedures also keep XBMC updated or do I need to follow an additional procedure for that?

Thanks

Malcolm
I got two different responses from those who added fbset, and none of them worked for me. At least not always (It worked one time with just "fbset" and no settings at all, but i have no idea why :? )

One of them was (from Beini):
After line 42. So

$XBMC
RET=$?
to

$XBMC
fbset -fb /dev/fb0 "1812x1020"
RET=$?
and the other one was (from mrjbanksy):
I added the following line to the end of /usr/bin/xbmc-standalone:

fbset -xres 1360 -yres 768
Obviously you'd replace 1360x768 with the resolution of your TV/monitor.

You will not update XBMC via apt-get. It has to be recompiled to get the new versions.
If there is a new version, I will put out a new image with that :)

I'm currently playing around with my remote, but nothing working yet.
payneardo wrote:is anybody else having an issue after a period of time there is no display. Went back to it and had a blank display but could connect via winscp and also the android remote and play my videos but nothing on screen (I am connected via an Onkyo receiver). on a reboot it was OK again but not sure how long with no activity it does it??

Just in case I have just reflashed the latest image to see if was anything I have done :?
Never happened to me, not even after an hour, seems strange.

BBsan2k

Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:53 pm

jonolo wrote:
BBsan2k wrote:My MCE worked OOB with XBMC. I have to add some hotkeys to powerdown my HDD, but functions as play/pause/stop and arrow keys work without any reconfiguration!
Do you have any additional modules loaded or should MCE be supported by kernel? I had it working with both raspbmc and openelec...

Cheers

Jonas
Actually it worked simply OOB. I think my remote is hardcoded in xbmc because it worked with all current xbmc distros (raspbmc, openelec).

Beini

Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:59 pm

silas,

It seems to work for me. Are you sure you're running xbmc-standalone NOT xbmc.bin directly? I see the fbset output on tty after quitting xbmc.

I just got the mode by running just fbset, added the mode it outputs to /etc/fb.modes and just use

fbset -fb /dev/fb0 "1812x1020"
in xbmc-standalone

silas

Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:42 pm

To keep this project a little more structured, i created a document with known bugs, feature requests and changelog.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15Am ... MAGK4/edit

Feel free to add anything you want, both bugs, feature requests and tips and tricks or bugfixes.

To tease you a little bit, exit and shutdown/restart will work in next image. It will also be a little bit smoother in the UI, estimated about 5fps more :D

mrjbanksy

Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:06 pm

The script wound up being easier than I thought it would. Create the following file somewhere:

#!/bin/bash
# XBMC exit fix
sed -i '/fbset/d' /usr/bin/xbmc-standalone
echo -n "fbset -g " >> /usr/bin/xbmc-standalone
fbset | grep geometry | awk '{ print $2,$3,$4,$5,$6}' >> /usr/bin/xbmc-standalone
chmod +x it, and set it up to run using whatever method you prefer. It'll update the resolution of the display, for if you change displays or you're using a prebuilt image.

xeo5

Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:55 pm

I've been getting some high cpu usage with all varieties of XBMC on pi including this one. It will idle around 20% or higher. I just found and tried the Darkelec build of Openelec ( http://darkimmortal.com/2012/05/darkele ... nelec-fork ) and that is idling around 3% constantly. What is Darkelec doing differently? Could Raspbian XBMC implement that also to fix high CPU usage.

I much prefer the customization of the Raspbian build and think everyone involved has done an amazing job!

BBsan2k

Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:18 pm

Just added two new feature requests:
* Add package usbmount
* Add option to shutdown menu: "Suspend HDDs" (hdparm -y /dev/sda)

silas

Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:31 pm

BBsan2k wrote:Just added two new feature requests:
* Add package usbmount
Should be easy to do :)
BBsan2k wrote: * Add option to shutdown menu: "Suspend HDDs" (hdparm -y /dev/sda)
[/quote]
I'll see what can be done, but no promises ;)

jmg123

Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:57 am

DGreenMan wrote:If anyway one with the koledge fanc compiling AirPlay into it that would be awesome

Siles has tried but with no success so If an ne think they can do it please do so I love rasbian but requires AirPlay for my set up and if we do not get it then I will have to go back to openelec which is something I really do not want to do
I have successfully compiled xbmc for raspbian with airplay, I need to give it a thorough test tonight when I get home, but if it works, I'll add the binary to dropbox, with a list of what else needs installing.

DGreenMan

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:02 pm

jmg123 wrote:
DGreenMan wrote:If anyway one with the koledge fanc compiling AirPlay into it that would be awesome

Siles has tried but with no success so If an ne think they can do it please do so I love rasbian but requires AirPlay for my set up and if we do not get it then I will have to go back to openelec which is something I really do not want to do
I have successfully compiled xbmc for raspbian with airplay, I need to give it a thorough test tonight when I get home, but if it works, I'll add the binary to dropbox, with a list of what else needs installing.
That is great any chance you creat a end user image

Can't thank ou enough for this I am delighted I can stay on raspbian now just need to get wifi working

Thank you ever so much for you work and more to he point thank you for sharing it :)

payneardo

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:21 pm

After a rebuild of the image not got a black screen again, so it must have been something on my image :-)

Tavalin

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:36 pm

jmg123 wrote:

Does the audio only streaming work on this?

MKV21

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:02 pm

payneardo wrote:Hi,

Is anybody else trying to get HDMI -CEC working ??

I have played about with the code here which is for openelec and raspbmc but I assume its similar (sorry I am on a steep learning curve here and trying to get to grips with it, normally a windows bod but now with some experience of debian :) )

https://github.com/olajep/rpi-cecd

on raspbmc they have compiled it (rpi-cecd)

http://raspbmc.com/downloads/bin/remotes/

and I have put this in to the /usr/bin folder and chmodded it and also made it an executable but getting errors (which sorry I don't understand) and not sure how to get it to run along with xbmc. Just putting this out there in case somebody with more knowledge (not difficult :D )can say ho yeah you just need to do this :) but will keep googling and trying different things (which I can hopefully remember) to try and get it working
I got my remote controll with HDMI-CEC working. I just cloned the git repository you mentioned, compiled and ran it:

git clone https://github.com/olajep/rpi-cecd.git
cd rpi-cecd/
make
./rpi-cecd
It recognizes the input from the remote control and xbmc also reacts (if you have rpi-cecd still running, for example with ./rpi-cecd &). Now I just have to write an init-script.

BBsan2k

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:07 pm

silas wrote:
BBsan2k wrote:Just added two new feature requests:
* Add package usbmount
Should be easy to do :)
BBsan2k wrote: * Add option to shutdown menu: "Suspend HDDs" (hdparm -y /dev/sda)
I'll see what can be done, but no promises ;)[/quote]

I found out how to add custom entries to the shutdown menu:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=115693

You simply have to add something to "DialogButtonMenu.xml"

I hope it helps you to implement it.
I'm wondering if it's possible to start a new git fork just for this build, but I'm not sure wether it should be a fork of raspbian or a fork of xbmc.

romprod

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:18 pm

silas I have tried your raspbian-xbmc-2012-07-19-small.img 4GB image but I'm unable to write it to my card. I get an error message back saying "Not enough space on disk: Size 7744512 secotrs Available: 7626752 sectors Sector size: 512"

I'm using Win32 Disk Imager

Am I doing anything wrong or is there anything that I can do to make it fit on my "4GB" card?

Thanks.

Alvin Spangles

Is my Pi faulty?

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:44 pm

Hello everyone,

I've had my Pi for a while now and it's been good as gold with various different OSs and roles I've tried it at (desktop computer running Citrix sessions, headless web server etc) so I'm pretty happy with the way it performs so far. The trouble is I've tried three different implementations of XBMC, including compiling my own OpenELEC and lastly the Raspian based image posted here, and they all seem to instantly freeze my Pi once the menu screen has loaded and all the status lights except for the power one go out. Only way to reset is to yank the power. I've got no overclocking set, a good power supply and have tried a variety of SD cards to help rule out these factors. If, using the Silas build posted here, I skip XBMC at startup and load Raspian then everything works perfectly.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Is my Pi faulty?

Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:06 pm

Alvin Spangles wrote:Hello everyone,

I've had my Pi for a while now and it's been good as gold with various different OSs and roles I've tried it at (desktop computer running Citrix sessions, headless web server etc) so I'm pretty happy with the way it performs so far. The trouble is I've tried three different implementations of XBMC, including compiling my own OpenELEC and lastly the Raspian based image posted here, and they all seem to instantly freeze my Pi once the menu screen has loaded and all the status lights except for the power one go out. Only way to reset is to yank the power. I've got no overclocking set, a good power supply and have tried a variety of SD cards to help rule out these factors. If, using the Silas build posted here, I skip XBMC at startup and load Raspian then everything works perfectly.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Does hello_triangle2 work? (from /opt/vc/src/hello_pi). That uses OpenGL ES2 and consumes quite a lot of power (like XBMC).
It does sound like a power supply problem. Can you measure voltage between TP1 and TP2 when launching XBMC.

MKV21

Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:26 pm

I got the remote control via HDMI-CEC working (thx to payneardos links):

git clone https://github.com/olajep/rpi-cecd.git
cd rpi-cecd/
make
./rpi-cecd
The input from the remote control is recognized by rpi-cecd and also by XBMC. My init-script (based on the XMBC init-script) can be found here: http://pastebin.com/U6bRbFLE (you may need to change the path to rpi-cecd based on were you built it)

Return to “Raspbian”