sethekm

Run Raspbian on a PPC laptop???

Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:13 am

Hey! I've been curious about this for a while and haven't found a definitive answer so far. Is there a way to install Raspbian on a Mac? Yes I do have a Pi with Raspbian running happily on it but is seems like it would be pretty cool to install it on one of my old G3 or G4 PPCs... or even dual boot on a MacBook Pro... I do have a first generation iBook running a stripped down Debian... Would this come down to chip architecture getting in the way?...

What else can we install and run Raspbian on??

Thanks!!

rpdom

Re: Run Raspbian on a PPC laptop???

Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:01 am

Raspbian will not run on PPC systems.

But, as Raspbian is basically Debian, you install Debian ppc, install the right apps and configure the desktop to match.

Obviously you won't have access to the bcm27xx hardware features.

sethekm

Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:34 pm

Thanks for the input! So that leads to the more basic question -- can you install Raspbian on anything else other than the Pi?
I do get the concept of configuring an alternate Debian install to behave and even look the same way. Thanks!

fruitoftheloom

Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:54 pm

sethekm wrote:Thanks for the input! So that leads to the more basic question -- can you install Raspbian on anything else other than the Pi?
I do get the concept of configuring an alternate Debian install to behave and even look the same way. Thanks!
http://raspbian.org
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

sethekm

Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:28 pm

Here is the best I have found so far. This does come from raspbian.org:

Will Raspbian work with non-Raspberry Pi systems?
Yes. The packages are being compiled for the ARMv6+VFP CPU. If the hardware supports that CPU feature set then Raspbian should function well on that hardware. A different kernel will of course be needed and it should be noted that some hardware has poor support for "regular" Linux system An example of such hardware is the Via APC. That being said, many newer hardware devices utilize a variant of the ARMv7 CPU which may be better served by the official Debian wheezy armhf port.

I wonder if anyone has heard of this being done...

ghans

Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:09 pm

PPC != ARMv6 , ARMv7 != x86 etc.

Raspbian only runs on ARMv6 machines or newer. Macbooks
aren't and weren't ARM machines. Most PCs and Laptops
out there are x86 or x64 machines.

Just use Debian. It is not without reason that it calls itself the
"universal operating system" . Original Debian even runs
on the Pi1 , but it's slower than Raspbian.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Mequa

Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:16 pm

I also have an old PPC Mac, Mac Mini G4 1.5 silent upgrade model, which I use primarily as a MorphOS box.

On a slow PPC Mac, if you want Linux, your best bet is to install either Lubuntu (Ubuntu with LXDE) if it's supported on that architecture, or Debian with LXDE (the latter being very similar to Raspbian). You can dual-boot OS X (e.g. PPC Leopard or Tiger) with Linux too.

I would love for the Raspbian LXDE enhancements to be made available for such LXDE setups, too.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:58 am

Mequa wrote: I would love for the Raspbian LXDE enhancements to be made available for such LXDE setups, too.
Theres a source package at http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/p ... i-ui-mods/ I imagine you could rebuild it for other Debian-based systems.

Return to “Raspbian”