thed0g

Re: [Guide] Kodi on Raspberry Pi OS / Raspbian Buster

Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:50 pm

Any ideas what could suddenly break my kodi install (viewtopic.php?f=28&t=313190)? It was running fine until I updated the system on monday with apt update.

Aardappeltaart

Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:12 am

Rascas wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 9:26 am
mattrix wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 3:13 am
Hi Rascas,

I see you maintain the kodi package for ARM debian.
You may be interested in upcoming Widevine blob changes that will break playback on ARM (probably in 5-6 days from now)

You can read here:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/Raspberr ... -838118259
& here
https://github.com/xbmc/inputstream.adaptive/issues/678

Thanks,

Matt
Thanks for the advice. So if I understood currectly, I need a new version of glibc to recompile Kodi and kodi-inpustream-adaptive also needs to be updated then. Is the new/patched glibc already available on stable repo?
FYI, I skipped the offered update of Widevine, and encrypted content is still playing fine here at the moment. (Dutch TV npostart.nl)

skrenes

Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:20 pm

Rascas wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:25 pm
Franck3679 wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:58 am
Franck3679 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:45 pm
I tried to get a more interesting log, but I don't think I got it: https://paste.kodi.tv/yalolocaga.kodi

The log corresponds to the following actions:
  • Kodi launch.
  • Navigation to the video.
  • Video playback (the screen turns green and the sound is normal, then very quickly the screen freezes and the sound cuts out, then nothing changes).
  • Stop the video via the remote control (the screen becomes completely black and nothing more happens).
  • Kodi stop by "sudo systemctl stop kodi" (command which ends with a timeout then a kill).
FYI, my problem seems to me to be related to this:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/4112
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/4167
Yes, it looks like. I recommend that you report your problem there too. More people reporting, more likely that they fix it.
FYI, I've reported it here: https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/4380
There's also been discussion about it here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=288234&p=1875392#p1875392

bscphil

Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:32 pm

FYI I had no issues building and running 19.1 using the instructions in my previous post: viewtopic.php?p=1824600#p1824600

I'm willing to help users who have trouble building the software using those instructions (reminder: I don't recommend building on an SD card, you will probably kill it). I can't necessarily help if the program builds but then doesn't run or runs with a black screen or major graphical glitches, etc. You'd have to take that up with the Raspberry Pi or Kodi folks.

I've also done some testing with the latest stable kernel (5.10.17) and bootloader (6 Jul). The results may be useful for anyone trying to figure out what to do.

I built both the official Kodi 19.1 release and the popcornmix fork at the same 19.1 release commit. I tested each one of them with every combination of settings I could think of, and they behaved exactly the same in every case. Perhaps this is due to hardware decoding of HEVC being completely broken anyway on kernel 5.10, at least according to reports, but if you're going to stick to the latest kernel (as I assume most are) I really don't see what running an unofficial fork of Kodi is going to achieve for you. As far as I know popcornmix has never even cut a release.

I tested both the old KMS and recommended fake KMS (vc4-fkms-v3d), and did not see a difference between them. Kodi might idle at a slightly lower resource usage under fkms than under KMS, but if so it's not enough to make a difference to anything meaningful (~5% on one thread). I suppose I'd recommend sticking with fkms just because that's the recommended driver.

I also briefly tried adding the line

Code: Select all

dtoverlay=rpivid-v4l2
to my config.txt. I got exactly the same performance (no hardware decoding of files) but also a weird 1 pixel vertical line on the left side of the screen in Kodi which was distorted.

Performance: I tested a variety of 1080p files across multiple codecs (VC-1, H264, HEVC). I did not see stuttering with any VC-1 or H264 file that I could find, but they were clearly software decoded and I noticed quite a lot of CPU use (minimum 30% across all cores, with bursts of 80% or more across all cores for both) at complex scenes in high bitrate files. If I'm right that Kodi's performance degrades over time until the Pi is rebooted (see previous posts in this thread), then it is not too surprising that one might see stuttering under certain conditions.

I tested one very low bitrate (~6 Mbps) HEVC file at 1080p. I did not see any stuttering with this file, but it was also software decoded and resource usage was consistently at least 75% across all cores. With this file we are clearly very close to the edge of what the Pi 4 can do with software decoding. If your HEVC files are 1080p and all very small (6 Mbps is 5.4 GB for a two hour film), you might be okay without hardware HEVC decoding. (Once again, no driver settings in dtoverlay made any difference to decoding performance.)

I tested a SDR 4K HEVC file (at UHD Blu-ray bitrate) and as expected it was an unwatchable slideshow.

I did not see any jank in the UI with any combination of settings. I had previously noticed some slowdown when calling up the overlay and seeking while playing a file, but this appears to work fine now.

It's worth noting that in the HEVC hardware decoding bug report the user reports using Kodi 18.X. I would say if you're not getting hardware decoding and that either doesn't bother you or doesn't bother you enough to force a downgrade to an ancient kernel version, you might as well be using the latest vanilla Kodi.

My assumption is mostly that anyone who seriously wants to play 4K files (especially with HDR) is probably not using a Raspberry Pi in the first place, and actually is probably not using Kodi either. According to this thread and this one, high bitrate audio (e.g. Atmos) unavoidably skips in Kodi across all platforms. On top of that there's seemingly no HDR support on PI 4 at all, AFAIK, even though it's now mid-2021.

So if you're still using the Raspberry Pi as a media platform, you probably watching mostly 1080p H.264 stuff. In that case, if hardware decoding is broken regardless of what you do, maybe give 19.1 a try.

SupermanLeRetour

Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:12 pm

Do you know why you were unable to use hardware decoding ? I'd like to build Kodi 19 on my RPi, but not having the HEVC hardware decoding makes it not worth at all...

Khyinn

Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:40 am

bscphil wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:32 pm
Hi,
I've compiled Kodi 19.1 following your posts. Kodi is working as fine as it can but i've a problem and i'm wondering if you have the same problem : in Audio settings, there is no more Passthrough settings, even in Advanced/Expert mode.

Lipown

Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:46 pm

Any idea how to display HEIC images in current Kodi on RaspiOS pls?

Rascas

Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:11 pm

Lipown wrote:
Install kodi-imagedecoder-heif package and make sure the addon is enabled afterwards

Lipown

Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:29 am

Rascas wrote:
Lipown wrote:
Install kodi-imagedecoder-heif package and make sure the addon is enabled afterwards
Thanks! Should it be in the repo? :)

Rascas

Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:41 pm

Lipown wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:29 am
Rascas wrote:
Lipown wrote:
Thanks! Should it be in the repo? :)
Yes. Just do

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install kodi-imagedecoder-heif
start Kodi, go to addons and make sure the addon is enabled.

Lipown

Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:14 pm

Is in Kodi a way to use and control system volume instead of Kodi volume?

Rascas

Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:23 pm

Lipown wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:14 pm
Is in Kodi a way to use and control system volume instead of Kodi volume?
No. That's the same on all OSs.

XJIOP

Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:12 pm

I tested self compiled Kodi 19.1 and Libreelec 10 and do not recommend upgrading KODI to 19.1, GUI freezes and lags for no reason on RPI4.

Kodi 18.7 is the best at the moment.

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”