GlowInTheDark

How to change the stored WiFi password?

Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:39 am

For security reasons, I had to change my WiFi password (i.e., the PSK associated with my SSID) on my router.

So, the question becomes: How to change this in RaspiOS? There doesn't seem to be any way to change it in the GUI.

Note that this is a problem with a lot of modern "devices" - they make it hard to change the stored password; once you put it in, you usually have to completely remove whatever setup you did before and create a new setup with a new password (thereby losing any other config settings you may have set along the way).

Notes:
1) I am looking primarily for a way to change it using only the GUI. I was able to setup/configure the WiFi connection originally entirely by GUI, so it seems it ought to be possible to edit it via GUI (but, alas, it seems not to be, unless I am missing something).

2) I am using Jessie - yes, i know, upgrade, upgrade, upgrade, blah, blah, blah - but I don't think this has changed much in versions since then.

3) Note that editing /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf (as root) does not work. For some reason, what is in that file does not at all correspond to the WiFi network that I am using. I am pretty sure that once a long time ago, I figured this all out, and figured out where it stores (hides) the WiFi network configs (one for each WiFi network that it sees in the scan), but I don't remember it all now.

So, is there a GUI way to fix this?
Poster of inconvenient truths.

Linux zealot and proud of it.

bls

Re: How to change the stored WiFi password?

Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:08 am

GlowInTheDark wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:39 am
For security reasons, I had to change my WiFi password (i.e., the PSK associated with my SSID) on my router.

So, the question becomes: How to change this in RaspiOS? There doesn't seem to be any way to change it in the GUI.

Note that this is a problem with a lot of modern "devices" - they make it hard to change the stored password; once you put it in, you usually have to completely remove whatever setup you did before and create a new setup with a new password (thereby losing any other config settings you may have set along the way).

Notes:
1) I am looking primarily for a way to change it using only the GUI. I was able to setup/configure the WiFi connection originally entirely by GUI, so it seems it ought to be possible to edit it via GUI (but, alas, it seems not to be, unless I am missing something).

2) I am using Jessie - yes, i know, upgrade, upgrade, upgrade, blah, blah, blah - but I don't think this has changed much in versions since then.

3) Note that editing /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf (as root) does not work. For some reason, what is in that file does not at all correspond to the WiFi network that I am using. I am pretty sure that once a long time ago, I figured this all out, and figured out where it stores (hides) the WiFi network configs (one for each WiFi network that it sees in the scan), but I don't remember it all now.

So, is there a GUI way to fix this?
I'm not a Raspbian/RasPiOS historian, but if you're using Jessie, I'd guess it might be in /etc/network/interfaces, or in some file in /etc/network/interfaces.d. Look for key "wpa-psk"
Pi tools:
Quickly and easily build customized-just-for-you SSDs/SD Cards: https://github.com/gitbls/sdm
Easily run and manage your network's DHCP/DNS servers on a Pi: https://github.com/gitbls/ndm
Easy and secure strongSwan VPN installer/manager: https://github.com/gitbls/pistrong
Lightweight Virtual VNC Config: https://github.com/gitbls/RPiVNCHowTo

kerry_s

Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:55 am

right click wifi icon> wireless & wired settings
choose the interface, click clear

Milliways

Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:01 am

There should be no reason you can't enter a password in the GUI Networking tab, even in a 4 year old OS.
If you select the network and enter a password it will overwrite the old.

I am unsure about ancient OS, but I seem to remember the GUI clobbered old networks.

See How to set up networking/WiFi

WiFi Passwords are in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf, although sensible people encrypt them.

If you put a new wpa_supplicant.conf in the boot directory it will overwrite the old.

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”