User avatar
dickon
Posts: 2001
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:54 pm
Location: Home, in Towcester

Re: Raspberry PI OS 64-bit Release Date

Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:07 pm

I do have a PiOS 64 (prerelease, obvs.) build on the Pi to my right, which seems to work nicely. I've even got OMX-accelerated vlc running, albeit via 32b multiarch. Works well enough.

I'm still not sure what you'd want out of a server build. Servers tend to be specialised, so only packages relevant to the service they're due to perform are installed, and everything else is cruft and a potential security hazard. And anyway, as I said, everything important can be installed with a couple of lines in a shell.
As it is apparently board policy to disallow any criticism of anything, as it appears to criticise something is to criticise all the users of that something, I will no longer be commenting in threads which are not directly relevant to my uses of the Pi.

chrisy
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 7:34 pm
Contact: Twitter

Re: Raspberry PI OS 64-bit Release Date

Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:07 am

dickon wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:59 am
It's usually traditional to point out in these threads that we're sort of expecting the 64b version to be released shortly after Debian's Bullseye release is ready. Per https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-a ... 00002.html that has just entered full-freeze, which means it should be fairly imminent.
14th August is the projected release date.
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-a ... 00003.html

User avatar
B.Goode
Posts: 12791
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: Raspberry PI OS 64-bit Release Date

Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:58 am

chrisy wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:07 am
dickon wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:59 am
It's usually traditional to point out in these threads that we're sort of expecting the 64b version to be released shortly after Debian's Bullseye release is ready. Per https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-a ... 00002.html that has just entered full-freeze, which means it should be fairly imminent.
14th August is the projected release date.
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-a ... 00003.html

Given that the title of this Raspberry Pi forum thread is "Raspberry PI OS 64-bit Release Date", it might be worth pointing out that the release date cited is for Debian. There is an existing parallel thread on that latter topic here - viewtopic.php?f=62&t=316431&p=1893016#p1892992

chrisy
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 7:34 pm
Contact: Twitter

Re: Raspberry PI OS 64-bit Release Date

Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:10 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:03 am
chrisy wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:07 am
dickon wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:59 am
It's usually traditional to point out in these threads that we're sort of expecting the 64b version to be released shortly after Debian's Bullseye release is ready. Per https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-a ... 00002.html that has just entered full-freeze, which means it should be fairly imminent.
14th August is the projected release date.
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-a ... 00003.html


Some users fail to read already posted information :?

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=316431

...especially when they end up posting in the wrong post :roll:
I posted in the correct thread, updating the previous information about Debian Bullseye. I apologise for not making it absolutely clear that I meant Bullseye, not Raspberry Pi OS. I'm not sure how I can be expected to spot a random thread within off-topic when I've never been in that part of the forum.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 29342
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Raspberry PI OS 64-bit Release Date

Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:26 pm

chrisy wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:10 pm
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:03 am
chrisy wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:07 am


14th August is the projected release date.
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-a ... 00003.html


Some users fail to read already posted information :?

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=316431

...especially when they end up posting in the wrong post :roll:
I posted in the correct thread, updating the previous information about Debian Bullseye. I apologise for not making it absolutely clear that I meant Bullseye, not Raspberry Pi OS. I'm not sure how I can be expected to spot a random thread within off-topic when I've never been in that part of the forum.
I apologise for our over zealous users who sometimes seem to think they are moderators. You shouldn't be expected to dig up that sort of things. I have deleted the post.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

laurent
Posts: 351
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:24 am

Re: Raspberry PI OS 64-bit Release Date

Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:43 pm

dickon wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:07 pm
I do have a PiOS 64 (prerelease, obvs.) build on the Pi to my right, which seems to work nicely. I've even got OMX-accelerated vlc running, albeit via 32b multiarch. Works well enough.

I'm still not sure what you'd want out of a server build. Servers tend to be specialised, so only packages relevant to the service they're due to perform are installed, and everything else is cruft and a potential security hazard. And anyway, as I said, everything important can be installed with a couple of lines in a shell.
Sorry for the late answer, but I don't particularly want a server build. It's just that if a 64bit official version can't be released because some desktop or multimedia features are not well supported, then I suggest to launch a server version which target headless setups which (officially) don't care about these unsupported features. Ubuntu made a server and desktop version of their Linux distribution, so the idea is not that weird I think.
Servers tend to be specialized, just like every setup though.

pidd
Posts: 2509
Joined: Fri May 29, 2020 8:29 pm
Location: Wirral, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Raspberry PI OS 64-bit Release Date

Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:17 pm

laurent wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:43 pm
Sorry for the late answer, but I don't particularly want a server build. It's just that if a 64bit official version can't be released because some desktop or multimedia features are not well supported, then I suggest to launch a server version which target headless setups which (officially) don't care about these unsupported features. Ubuntu made a server and desktop version of their Linux distribution, so the idea is not that weird I think.
Servers tend to be specialized, just like every setup though.
In that situation you might just install debian, I don't see the point of Raspberry diverting their efforts away from their mainstream objectives.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 27226
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm

Re: Raspberry PI OS 64-bit Release Date

Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:56 am

pidd wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:17 pm
laurent wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:43 pm
Sorry for the late answer, but I don't particularly want a server build. It's just that if a 64bit official version can't be released because some desktop or multimedia features are not well supported, then I suggest to launch a server version which target headless setups which (officially) don't care about these unsupported features. Ubuntu made a server and desktop version of their Linux distribution, so the idea is not that weird I think.
Servers tend to be specialized, just like every setup though.
In that situation you might just install debian, I don't see the point of Raspberry diverting their efforts away from their mainstream objectives.

If no Desktop needed, there is a Beta Lite Release:

https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspi ... 2021-05-28

.
Take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail, and it is gratis !!

sup
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:23 pm

Re: Raspberry PI OS 64-bit Release Date

Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:22 am

So now that DEbian Bullseye is out, is the realease of the new version of Raspberry PI OS imminent?

User avatar
B.Goode
Posts: 12791
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: Raspberry PI OS 64-bit Release Date

Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:32 am

sup wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:22 am
So now that DEbian Bullseye is out, is the realease of the new version of Raspberry PI OS imminent?
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=317787&p=1902038#p1902038

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”