apple2europe

Re: [Guide] Kodi on Raspberry Pi OS / Raspbian Buster

Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:55 am

I have a Rasperry Pi 4 with the latest OS and updates (just did an apt update & upgrade). Some time ago I have installed Kodi on it using this tutorial https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/install-k ... ia-center/

But I have never been able to run it. When I try to launch Kodi from RaspberryPi OS, nothing happens.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:01 am

apple2europe wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:55 am
I have a Rasperry Pi 4 with the latest OS and updates (just did an apt update & upgrade). Some time ago I have installed Kodi on it using this tutorial https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/install-k ... ia-center/

But I have never been able to run it. When I try to launch Kodi from RaspberryPi OS, nothing happens.

The tutorial you linked to is for Raspbian Stretch which is out of date:

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt install kodi

As per the first post :?
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machines: ChromeBox
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32966393971.html
& Stone Desktop Intel CoreDuo circa 2010

apple2europe

Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:20 am

Yes I was able to make it work by following the first post and enabling the KMS video driver.
I have Kodi 18.7 now.. How do I update it to the latest v19? It looks like Kodi is not updated automatically when I do apt update and apt upgrade. Maybe v19 wasn't yet released for the Pi?

Do you know how to fix VNC? Basically when I launch Kodi the default VNC of Raspberry OS stops working. If I reconnect the screen is black. Should I enable Kodi's VNC but in that case won't it interfere with the RaspberryPi OS VNC?

fruitoftheloom

Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:26 am

apple2europe wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:20 am
Yes I was able to make it work by following the first post and enabling the KMS video driver.
I have Kodi 18.7 now.. How do I update it to the latest v19? It looks like Kodi is not updated automatically when I do apt update and apt upgrade. Maybe v19 wasn't yet released for the Pi?

Do you know how to fix VNC? Basically when I launch Kodi the default VNC of Raspberry OS stops working. If I reconnect the screen is black. Should I enable Kodi's VNC but in that case won't it interfere with the RaspberryPi OS VNC?

Kodi 19 has not *yet* been compiled for Raspberry Pi Operating System due to many issues, if you read back over the last couple of months of posts this subject has been discussed, there is no requirement to regurgitate.

Regards VNC see:

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=251645&start=450#p1806381
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machines: ChromeBox
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32966393971.html
& Stone Desktop Intel CoreDuo circa 2010

xoocoon

Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:00 pm

I also had the problem of Raspi 4B / Kodi 18.7 not playing HEVC videos any more after a kernel update to 5.10. However I could solve it.

To be more precise, the Raspi was still able to hardware-decode all my UHD HEVC videos after the 5.10 kernel update, but only at a standard HD resolution of 1920x1080p@60Hz. Whenever I changed the playback resolution to 3840x2160@30Hz in Kodi, it used to crash and restart itself. (I am using kodi-standalone wrapped by a systemd service unit.) The resolution switch to UHD used to work perfectly before the recent kernel update.

After I had carefully worked through the posts in this thread, I found the following solution which works for me:
In config.txt, I removed the line

gpu_mem=384
... and altered the graphics overlay line so that it reads

dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d,cma-384
Hope this helps somebody.

whateva

Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:58 am

This maybe a silly question but do kodi require desktop to run?
I have this what would I call headless setup with running samba, sabnzbd, sonarr, docket etc so I decided to check how kodi run is it better than my old android TV box.
So I've install kodi as first post but when I run kodi or kodi-standalone screen goes blank and nothing happens.
Doesn't matter which driver I choose in rasp-config, GPU memory is set for 448 all the groups are set as suggested.
I can't seem to find the proper log to check what's going on.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Forgot to add raspberry pi 4

Rascas

Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:57 pm

whateva wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:58 am
This maybe a silly question but do kodi require desktop to run?
I have this what would I call headless setup with running samba, sabnzbd, sonarr, docket etc so I decided to check how kodi run is it better than my old android TV box.
So I've install kodi as first post but when I run kodi or kodi-standalone screen goes blank and nothing happens.
Doesn't matter which driver I choose in rasp-config, GPU memory is set for 448 all the groups are set as suggested.
I can't seem to find the proper log to check what's going on.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Forgot to add raspberry pi 4
You don't need a desktop environment to run Kodi. If you have problems read the first post carefully, it also has instructions on how to get the kodi log.

whateva

Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:00 am

Rascas wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:57 pm

You don't need a desktop environment to run Kodi. If you have problems read the first post carefully, it also has instructions on how to get the kodi log.
Thanks, I have found it.
Can someone please look into this log?
Thank You
https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/9hCzBW4p6Q/

So I found something like

CVideoPlayer::OpenInputStream - error opening [/var/run/lirc/lircd]

And also
viewtopic.php?t=250854
I'm going to install kodi from that post and see what will happen

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/pWHWGVs3qB/

Not working

Rascas

Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:33 pm

You are using a different user than the default "pi", that's probably your problem, you have to add some groups to that user, see fisrt post to how to do it. You have to restart at the end. If it still doesn't work, try with user "pi".

whateva

Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:54 pm

Rascas wrote:
You are using a different user than the default "pi", that's probably your problem, you have to add some groups to that user, see fisrt post to how to do it. You have to restart at the end. If it still doesn't work, try with user "pi".

sudo usermod -a -G audio,video,input,dialout,plugdev,netdev,users,cdrom,tty "username" 
Already done, i did everything in first post except start on boot.
Can't check pi user,it doesn't exist anymore since I look at it as security risk to have it in system.

Rascas

Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:57 pm

whateva wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:54 pm
Rascas wrote:

sudo usermod -a -G audio,video,input,dialout,plugdev,netdev,users,cdrom,tty "username" 
Already done, i did everything in first post except start on boot.
Can't check pi user,it doesn't exist anymore since I look at it as security risk to have it in system.
Can you start kodi as root ? If so, it is a permissions problem with your current user.

whateva

Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:04 pm

Rascas wrote:
Can you start kodi as root ? If so, it is a permissions problem with your current user.

Sudo kodi
Gives the same effect.
black screen.

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/3qhfzTNGN6/

Rascas

Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:14 pm

whateva wrote:
Rascas wrote:

Sudo kodi
Gives the same effect.
black screen.

Are you trying to open Kodi remotely ? It doesn't work on VNC/RDP and that kind of stuff. It only works on a TV connected to the Pi.

whateva

Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:17 pm

Rascas wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:14 pm
whateva wrote:
Rascas wrote:

Sudo kodi
Gives the same effect.
black screen.

Are you trying to open Kodi remotely ? It doesn't work on VNC/RDP and that kind of stuff. It only works on a TV connected to the Pi.
Of course is connected to TV

https://ibb.co/nCTgk0D

I've just executed once again this

sudo usermod -a -G audio,video,input,dialout,plugdev,netdev,users,cdrom,tty whateva]
Rebooted hit kodi-standalone and received something new.

segmentation fault (core dumped) 
 Crash report avail....
 Invalid argument 

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/KkghD6272K/

Windsaw

Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:21 pm

Hello,

I installed Kodi on my fresh Raspbian installation.
In order to start it I used the kodi.service from the beginning of this thread.

Kodi starts up like expected.
But I have one problem: Pulse is not available as a sound choice.

If I log in as user "pi" and start kodi-standalone manually, that choice is available and works without problems.
I need pulseaudio. I can't go back to alsa since I have multiple applications with sound running which would block each other if I do.

How can I get it to work?

Edit: I managed to resolve my issue by installing PulseAudio as a service.
Last edited by Windsaw on Thu May 06, 2021 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

max11

Sat May 01, 2021 6:08 pm

Hi Rascas,

sometimes ago i complained about crackling sounds on Kodi/Bluetooth ....

Finally i found the solution: changing in Sytem/Audio/Channels from 2.0 to 5.1 channels (even if it is only one speaker) ... and the crackle is gone.
Maybe it helps others too.

Lipown

Thu May 06, 2021 4:28 pm

I just bought airmouse and the pointer in Kodi freezes for 20 sec, meanwhile you can see that your movement is invisibly happending because the menu items are being highlighted, then the pointer shows on different direction and after some secs freezes again. It is doing the same think with normal mouse. Any suggestions for fix pls?

Khyinn

Mon May 17, 2021 7:13 am

Hi :)

Any news now that Kodi 19.1 is out ?
Last edited by Khyinn on Mon May 17, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattrix

Wed May 26, 2021 3:13 am

Hi Rascas,

I see you maintain the kodi package for ARM debian.
You may be interested in upcoming Widevine blob changes that will break playback on ARM (probably in 5-6 days from now)

You can read here:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/Raspberr ... -838118259
& here
https://github.com/xbmc/inputstream.adaptive/issues/678

Thanks,

Matt
www.matthuisman.nz

Rascas

Wed May 26, 2021 9:26 am

mattrix wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 3:13 am
Hi Rascas,

I see you maintain the kodi package for ARM debian.
You may be interested in upcoming Widevine blob changes that will break playback on ARM (probably in 5-6 days from now)

You can read here:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/Raspberr ... -838118259
& here
https://github.com/xbmc/inputstream.adaptive/issues/678

Thanks,

Matt
Thanks for the advice. So if I understood currectly, I need a new version of glibc to recompile Kodi and kodi-inpustream-adaptive also needs to be updated then. Is the new/patched glibc already available on stable repo?

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Wed May 26, 2021 12:32 pm

Rascas wrote: Thanks for the advice. So if I understood currectly, I need a new version of glibc to recompile Kodi and kodi-inpustream-adaptive also needs to be updated then. Is the new/patched glibc already available on stable repo?
I'm a bit uneasy with patching glibc system-wide with changes that aren't upstream. You can see what I've done for chromium here: http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/p ... _armhf.deb

It includes the patched libc6 files and then uses patchelf to force chromium to use use the new interpreter.

Edit: but you should be able to pass the right flag to set the patched loader while building without having to use patchelf.

Rascas

Wed May 26, 2021 1:31 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 12:32 pm
Rascas wrote: Thanks for the advice. So if I understood currectly, I need a new version of glibc to recompile Kodi and kodi-inpustream-adaptive also needs to be updated then. Is the new/patched glibc already available on stable repo?
I'm a bit uneasy with patching glibc system-wide with changes that aren't upstream. You can see what I've done for chromium here: http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/p ... _armhf.deb

It includes the patched libc6 files and then uses patchelf to force chromium to use use the new interpreter.

Edit: but you should be able to pass the right flag to set the patched loader while building without having to use patchelf.
I don't believe cmake cpack deb supports that. That is too complicated to implement in Kodi packages, which is already heavily patched. Does gcc/glibc from Bullseye work ?

ShiftPlusOne

Wed May 26, 2021 2:26 pm

No, the patches google added are only used in ChromeOS, AFAIK.

Rascas

Wed May 26, 2021 2:53 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 2:26 pm
No, the patches google added are only used in ChromeOS, AFAIK.
So, there is no plans for you to remove the old Debian patches and include the new one needed for glibc ?
Only way is to compile glibc with that patches, include it in Kodi packages and link Kodi to use it instead of the system wide one?

ShiftPlusOne

Wed May 26, 2021 3:34 pm

Rascas wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 2:53 pm
So, there is no plans for you to remove the old Debian patches and include the new one needed for glibc ?
I'm not sure. I wouldn't 100% rule it out, but changing a package which the rest of the system depends on feels a bit risky and then we'd be taking on responsibility for security updates rather than letting them flow in from Debian automatically.

My understanding is that the risk is actually minimal, since it's only adding support for a new section rather than changing any existing behaviour. Official glibc may add a new section which disagrees with the patches, but such changes are unlikely to be unexpectedly introduced in a 'stable' release.

Something to think about. I could put an appropriately patched version in the 'untested' component in the meanwhile.

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”