rwcooper
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:04 pm
Location: Winnipeg, Canada

no package for kermit on RPi OS 64-bit

Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:56 pm

There is no package for kermit on the 64-bit version of Raspberry Pi OS but there is one on the 32-bit version. I wonder why? I have downloaded the source and the necessary patch and was able to build it on the 64-bit version with a small change to the makefile. It appears to be working based on the limited testing I have done.

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 18525
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: no package for kermit on RPi OS 64-bit

Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:42 pm

There is (as far as I can see) gkermit which is a GPL'd kermit.
Unreadable squiggle

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 26508
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: no package for kermit on RPi OS 64-bit

Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:45 pm

rwcooper wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:56 pm
There is no package for kermit on the 64-bit version of Raspberry Pi OS but there is one on the 32-bit version. I wonder why? I have downloaded the source and the necessary patch and was able to build it on the 64-bit version with a small change to the makefile. It appears to be working based on the limited testing I have done.

https://www.kermitproject.org/index.html

C-Kermit for UNIX, VMS, VOS, and several other operating system families

It will be in Debian Bullseye ARM64, due within 6 months (hopefully)....

https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/ckermit


Or as above stated G-Kermit is in Debian Buster ARM64:

https://packages.debian.org/buster/gkermit
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machines: ChromeBox
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32966393971.html
& Stone Desktop Intel CoreDuo circa 2010

rwcooper
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:04 pm
Location: Winnipeg, Canada

Re: no package for kermit on RPi OS 64-bit

Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:51 pm

rpdom wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:42 pm
There is (as far as I can see) gkermit which is a GPL'd kermit.
Thanks. Do you know if it contains all of the kermit features?

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 18525
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: no package for kermit on RPi OS 64-bit

Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:15 pm

rwcooper wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:51 pm
rpdom wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:42 pm
There is (as far as I can see) gkermit which is a GPL'd kermit.
Thanks. Do you know if it contains all of the kermit features?
I haven't tried it, so no I don't know.
Unreadable squiggle

rwcooper
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:04 pm
Location: Winnipeg, Canada

Re: no package for kermit on RPi OS 64-bit

Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:38 pm

To quote from the internet (fedora package sources):
G-Kermit is a utility for file transfer using the Kermit protocol, supporting text and binary transfers on 7-bit and 8-bit connections. It is most useful as a remote endpoint; for a more fully-featured Kermit program, use the ckermit package.
That's not what I need.

User avatar
scruss
Posts: 4025
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:25 pm
Location: Toronto, ON
Contact: Website

Re: no package for kermit on RPi OS 64-bit

Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:12 pm

I found there was a problem with a the packaged version of ckermit (9.0 302-something), so I built from source: Compiling Kermit on modern Linux.

My instructions are a little out of date. I see the latest version is supposed to address some of these issues that I had to patch. gkermit is absolutely not what you want: it's a protocol endpoint like rz/sz. I don't remember the build being hard, but there's 30-odd years of complicated instructions you have to wade through
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

rwcooper
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:04 pm
Location: Winnipeg, Canada

Re: no package for kermit on RPi OS 64-bit

Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:30 pm

scruss wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:12 pm
I found there was a problem with a the packaged version of ckermit (9.0 302-something), so I built from source: Compiling Kermit on modern Linux.
I went to that website as well but the link to the package didn't work, so I did a search and found it elsewhere. The patch is absolutely required!

User avatar
scruss
Posts: 4025
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:25 pm
Location: Toronto, ON
Contact: Website

Re: no package for kermit on RPi OS 64-bit

Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:25 am

well, yeah, that's my website, so that's why I know it's out of date
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”