Jone951

What's the advantage of Raspbian over other distros for pi 4?

Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:02 am

I'm thinking about using a different ARM distro with my new pi 4 but I'm not sure if that's a good choice. I'd like to know why Raspbian might be better than Debian ARM, Fedora ARM, Arch Linux ARM etc. Are there any drivers or configurations that give Raspbian superior performance on a pi 4? Would I be missing out on any features by not using Raspbian?

DougieLawson

Re: What's the advantage of Raspbian over other distros for pi 4?

Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:36 am

Because it has some level of support from a forum run by volunteers with: total posts 1503629, total topics 229047 and total members 278572.

There's nothing like that for any other ARM distro.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

rpdom

Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:59 am

DougieLawson wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:36 am
Because it has some level of support from a forum run by volunteers with: total posts 1503629, total topics 229047 and total members 278572.

There's nothing like that for any other ARM distro.
Not to mention that it is the only OS officially supported by the Raspberry Pi Engineers, who spend a lot of time here helping people with it.

Gavinmc42

Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:02 am

Why not get a few uSD cards and try the others.
Each OS has features that are unique to them.
I use 3 normally, PiCore, Raspbian, Gentoo64 and baremetal with Ultibo.
My others are Buildroot/MotionEyeOSand Raspbian Lite/Pikrellcam for my Security cameras.
Those last two have probably more hours of use as they are fixed 24/7 cameras since 2014.

Pi's do not limit you to any OS, you can even make your own as the Baremetal guys are doing..

Personal choice depends on what you want to do with your Pi or Pi's.
Raspbian is still the best place to start, but even that is evolving and there are now 32/64 bit kernels to confuse things.

Ubuntu is coming along, Arch has been around for a long time.

Raspbian is Debian based so it goes for solid/stable.
I am doing OpenGL and find Gentoo64 generally has newer OpenGL drivers, but it can be behind on Raspbian USB/Ethernet drivers.
I like Gentoo64 as I can compile the source to the latest version when I want and not have to wait for a new Raspbian release.
Arch is similar, it depends on your Linux skills as these are all very different.

Most tweaking is done in Raspbian and it trickles across to the others.
Another year's time and there should be many more to pick from.
If you have a server, one day you could netboot and have a choice of OS's to boot up :D
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

jahboater

Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:16 am

Raspbian is recommended for the reasons above, its well supported and reliable, a great distro.

However, to avoid supporting two distro's, Raspbian is built for the old Pi1 or Pi Zero ARMv6 architecture (the current model is Cortex-A72).
There is now a 64-bit kernel in testing, but the user land remains ARMv6 32-bit.
To be fair, few people would notice ...

A credible alternative is Gentoo64 which is a full 64-bit distribution. It is also well supported and reliable, but by one clever engineer rather than the team at the RPF. The included software is up to date (unlike Debian which is rather conservative).

Try it from here:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 0#p1572720

Jone951

Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:55 pm

jahboater wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:16 am
Raspbian is recommended for the reasons above, its well supported and reliable, a great distro.

However, to avoid supporting two distro's, Raspbian is built for the old Pi1 or Pi Zero ARMv6 architecture (the current model is Cortex-A72).
There is now a 64-bit kernel in testing, but the user land remains ARMv6 32-bit.
To be fair, few people would notice ...

A credible alternative is Gentoo64 which is a full 64-bit distribution. It is also well supported and reliable, but by one clever engineer rather than the team at the RPF. The included software is up to date (unlike Debian which is rather conservative).

Try it from here:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 0#p1572720
The 32-bit userland is partly why I'm asking, but I didn't realize it's armv6, and not even armv7 (tho I've read there's not much of a performance difference between the two). I'm currently leaning towards Manjaro because I'd like to fully utilize armv8 and it supports hardware acceleration. Gentoo64 looks good too but I've been wanting to try Arch Linux and pacman.

Gavinmc42

Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:51 am

There is Arm6, Arm7, Arm7L and Arm8 Kernel's for Pi's now.
Then there is the OS part on top of the Kernel, that part might be compiled for the lowest version.

Generally Raspbian is designed to detect and work on all Pi's.
So an uSD card can be swapped between any Pi and just be expected to work.

Kernel and OS compiled for A72 should run faster if it takes advantage of the extra registers etc.
But because Pi4/A72 is newer it might have unknown bugs.

Try as many OS's as you like, in a year's time the situation will be different anyway.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

RossDv8

Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:07 am

I've been switching between Raspbian using this kernel
[email protected]:~ $ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 4.19.86-v8+ #1283 SMP PREEMPT Fri Nov 29 18:43:33 GMT 2019 aarch64 GNU/Linux
and Manjaro using whatever it is using - and with all my user data(documents, video etc.) stored on SSD.

Having the Pi makes using multipls operating systems so much simpler to do than with so called 'real' computers.
In fact, using the Pi so much on a daily basis for everything except printing, I am realising more and more that the Pi is an 'unreal' computer !

I seem to keep comiing back to Raspbian, although Manjaro works nicely and has a few features lacking in Raspbian, but those are nostly due to the appearance between XFCE and LXDE, and me not remembering how to make Pcmanfm emulate Thunar. Which was fixed by just installing Thunar until I can remember what I had to change.
Remember, nobody is listening to you
until you fart ...

Return to “Raspbian”