cjan
Posts: 737
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 12:00 am

update issue

Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:38 pm

Pi2 update, why does it need rpi-eeprom packages?
dangerous or no harm?

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 15390
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: update issue

Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:45 pm

Harmless. They will do nothing on a Pi 2. The packages are pulled in because the Pi 2 uses the same software as the Pi 4. The package manager can't tell them apart.

cjan
Posts: 737
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 12:00 am

Re: update issue

Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:32 pm

another issue,
had blacklist rtl8192cu module, after update it been unmarked.
cause wifi speed slow down a lot, anyone beware this issue.

ps. Pi2 & EW-7811Un

trejan
Posts: 730
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:28 pm

Re: update issue

Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:41 pm

cjan wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:32 pm
had blacklist rtl8192cu module, after update it been unmarked.
cause wifi speed slow down a lot, anyone beware this issue.
You need to add a comment to https://github.com/RPi-Distro/raspberry ... /issues/37 about this issue.

cjan
Posts: 737
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 12:00 am

Re: update issue

Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:44 pm

trejan wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:41 pm
cjan wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:32 pm
had blacklist rtl8192cu module, after update it been unmarked.
cause wifi speed slow down a lot, anyone beware this issue.
You need to add a comment to https://github.com/RPi-Distro/raspberry ... /issues/37 about this issue.
but don't know which update package caused.

trejan
Posts: 730
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:28 pm

Re: update issue

Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:06 pm

cjan wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:44 pm
but don't know which update package caused.
It was a change the other day in https://github.com/RPi-Distro/raspberry ... 155430ca17 The linked issue is where it was briefly discussed.

cjan
Posts: 737
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 12:00 am

Re: update issue

Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:27 am

trejan wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:06 pm
cjan wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:44 pm
but don't know which update package caused.
It was a change the other day in https://github.com/RPi-Distro/raspberry ... 155430ca17 The linked issue is where it was briefly discussed.
EW-7811Un need 8192cu module from 1st Pi released.
there are 3 modules 8192cu rtl8192cu rtl8xxxu for different chip, why they do that?

timg236
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:30 pm

Re: update issue

Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:45 am

rpdom wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:45 pm
Harmless. They will do nothing on a Pi 2. The packages are pulled in because the Pi 2 uses the same software as the Pi 4. The package manager can't tell them apart.
Raspbian is designed so that a single image works on all Raspberry Pi models. Any software with specific hardware requirements checks the board-revision / CPU version before running.

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 36312
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: update issue

Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:03 pm

I've masked the service you've installed on all of my Raspberries (it would only be a pointless delay in systemd otherwise). It's a shame you couldn't have a post-install script to detect the machine type and do that automagically on anything that isn't a RPi4B (or later).
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “Raspbian”