Herbaldew

Problem Rebooting/Shutdown After Update

Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:11 pm

My rPi3B+ will no longer shutdown or reboot since the update a couple days ago. Power it off and on after it hangs and it restarts and runs fine.

I have restored from backups and started from scratch several times with the same results. I also have used two different SD cards and my SSD with the same results.

Through experimentation, it seems to be caused by removing Wolfram. I usually remove Wolfram and other stuff first thing before doing my initial update and installing the programs I want. I just did a full normal setup run from scratch without the entry to remove Wolfram and all was fine. I then removed Wolfram and I cannot reboot or shutdown again.

Let me know if I need to provide any documentation and how to do so.

Thanks

Edit: I didn't say, but when I restore from my backups ( a couple weeks old if that), all is fine until I update.

HawaiianPi

Re: Problem Rebooting/Shutdown After Update

Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:40 pm

If you turned Bluetooth off, try it with Bluetooth on. Several forum members have reported shutdown kernel panics when Bluetooth is turned off with the latest kernel/firmware.

You can roll back to the last stable firmware from mid-August with this command.

Code: Select all

sudo rpi-update 911147a3276beee09afc4237e1b7b964e61fb88a
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Herbaldew

Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:02 pm

Ahh, I remember seeing "kernel panic" on the screen several times whilst testing.

My Bluetooth was off. Turned it back on and reboot/shutdown work as they should. I don't know what that has to do with Wolfram, but I don't hang when it's installed even with Bluetooth off.

Thanks

Herbaldew

Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:25 pm

After running the rollback, update doesn't show anything available.

When a new kernel is released will it show up?

Nevermind ... just going to leave Bluetooth enabled until issue is resolved.

Return to “Raspbian”