lexos

Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005) ... how to disable?

Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:39 pm

I developed a digital signage solution at the Raspberry Pi platform. Since I got a Raspberry Pi 3B+ I updated to Raspbian Stretch and get now both, the yellow lightning and the message on the screen.

Is there any chance to turn this message off? I want keep the yellow lightning, but the message completely destroys the clean look of the UI, because I did not find out how to hide it. It overrides the frame buffer.

This really makes the Raspbian worthless for professional solutions. :cry:

B.Goode

Re: Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005) ... how to disable?

Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:17 pm

Welcome to the Raspberry Pi forums.

I'll be brave and take first bite at this... I've just checked, and it's Friday the 13th, not April 1st.

Surely, if you want a professional, reliable Digital Signage solution the best approach would be to use a reliable Power Supply for the RPi in the first instance, so that the system never encounters under-voltage situations that it needs to report to you.
Note that Raspberry Pi 3B+ does consume substantially more power than its predecessor. We strongly encourage you to use a high-quality 2.5A power supply, such as the official Raspberry Pi Universal Power Supply.
From: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbe ... le-now-35/

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:33 pm

Might not have anything to do with power, but with incompatible software for a PI3B+, the 3B+ has new hardware to detect undervoltages, the old method does not work anymore.

read the boot problem sticky, it has new info for the PI3B+

On the other hand, if you updated your OS, the new OS should handle the new undervoltage detector, so maybe you really do have insufficient power supplies, especially as the extra hardware in a 3B+, and the increased clock speed means it draws more power.

bensimmo

Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:24 am

While I would probably try solving the problem first, like a working image or a better PSU.

You could look at https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... xt/misc.md

lexos

Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:38 am

Dear B.Goode, mahjongg and bensimmo, thanks for your feedback.

I didn't want to affend anyone, I really like the Raspberry Pi and the Raspbian Linux distribution, which caused me much less troubles then the competitors Asus Tinkerboard and Odroid C2. I also completely confirm, that a reliable power supply is absolutely necessary to provide a reliable solution. But in my case, it is a mobile environment, with car batteries where I can not simply switch the PSU. I was completely fine with the old indication of the yellow lightning, which could be eventually turned off.

What I want to complain is that the new solution also produces kernel messages, which can not be hidden. I tried all to get rid of this messages on the main screen, but since that I am not using the X Windows environment, the messages are printed topmost over my graphical output. I read that Kodi has the same issue.

So my question is, does anyone of you know how to turn off or redirect the messages in line 219 and 221 of the firmware package (source can be found here: https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/pu ... 4b96a6b63c ). I guess I would be able to compile this package my self and remove the messages, but than I would have to do this on any new release, what I want to prevent if possible. Up to now, I did not find any solution to block or redirect pr_crit messages of the firmware.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Kind regards,
Alex

n67

Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:49 am

FWIW, I think the very last line of the OP is what has gotten people keyed up.

Anyway, an obvious solution would be to get a 3B rather than the 3B+. They still sell the 3Bs and it doesn't sound to me like your application space is in need of the increased CPU power of the 3B+. Assuming I am understanding things correctly, this new message only presents on the 3B+.

From what I can tell, the 3B+ has some problems (see the "lockups" thread) - that indicate it isn't quite ready for prime time.
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

If a post offends you, just put that poster on your foes list, and be done with it (and with them).

To do otherwise, risks being banned.

bensimmo

Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:59 am

It was the professional part, a professional would alter the power supply to what is need, be it tweaking or improving the 12V to 5V convertor and wiring to it.

There are some more commands you can place into the /boot/cmdline.txt to but you'll need to search for them to do with debugging and see if they are what you need

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:26 am

n67 wrote:

From what I can tell, the 3B+ has some problems (see the "lockups" thread) - that indicate it isn't quite ready for prime time.
And you are wrong. Once again, people are extrapolating a minor problem for a minority of people in to a major one. Wrongly.

There have been some outlier SoC's that had an issue at certain frequencies, but not very many. The vast majority of 3B+ owners see no issues whatsoever. We fully expect to be able to release a SW fix for those outlier SoC's in the near future, we just need to get some of the outlier Pi's in house for testing since we have never actually seen one.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

lexos

Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:09 am

n67 wrote:
Assuming I am understanding things correctly, this new message only presents on the 3B+.
No, it is part of the new Raspbian Stretch and affects all Raspberry Pis. It wasn't reported in older versions of Raspbian. But I found a solution on my own, which I will document in an new post.

Thanks!

lexos

Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:16 am

bensimmo wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:59 am
It was the professional part, a professional would alter the power supply to what is need, be it tweaking or improving the 12V to 5V convertor and wiring to it.

There are some more commands you can place into the /boot/cmdline.txt to but you'll need to search for them to do with debugging and see if they are what you need
This is the solution a figured out a moment ago. Thanks for your response.

To all others:
The new Raspbian Stretch logs critical kernel messages, when a under-voltage is detected. This is beside the lightning indicator and can't be turned of. So when ever, your application is running in the main frame buffer, you will get messages on the screen.

Solution:
We can restrict the log level of the kernel by adjusting the loglevel as a boot parameter. This can be done by modifying the /boot/cmdline.txt file.

sudo nano /boot/cmdline.txt

and at the end set loglevel=1 , so the messages will disappear.

Thanks to all, for supporting me on this topic.

jamesh

Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:30 am

Please fix the underlying problem - you are putting tape over the engine warning light. It WILL come back to haunt you. You are also disabling a whole load of important kernel messages, critical ones.

Get a better power supply and cables.

hippy

Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:19 pm

jamesh wrote:
Will that prevent the low voltage message appearing on screen and messing up the OP's display if the mains voltage browns-out ?

It was preventing that message which was the OP's issue.

B.Goode

Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:23 pm

hippy wrote:
jamesh wrote:
Will that prevent the low voltage message appearing on screen and messing up the OP's display if the mains voltage browns-out ?

I think you have invented that.

@lexos has written:
in my case, it is a mobile environment, with car batteries
No possibility of mains brownouts in that scenario..

n67

Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:41 pm

I think you have invented that...
Details, details. The principle is still valid.

OP's core issue is that his power supply is a little dodgy - being as it is derived from a source other than a good solid mains driven supply. In his case, it is coming from an automotive electrical system - something which is known to be unstable.

The point is that if your power supply is dodgy (and you simply can't or won't do anything about it), then inhibiting messages becomes the best you can do.

If a post offends you, just put that poster on your foes list, and be done with it (and with them).

jamesh

Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:41 pm

hippy wrote:
jamesh wrote:

If anyone is suffering mains brownouts to that extent, then I suspect that an icon or a message in the log is the least of their worries.

You cannot turn the engine warning light in your car off, because it indicates that there is something wrong. It's the same with this warning. Something is wrong - fix it.

You can ignore it and suffer the consequences, but I am not sure we should provide the means for people to do it easily.

n67

Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:44 pm

You cannot turn the engine warning light in your car off, because it indicates that there is something wrong. It's the same with this warning. Something is wrong - fix it.
It is not unheard of to put a piece of tape over it (to cover up the annoying light).

Also, I take it you've never ridden a public bus in Central America...

hippy

Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:07 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:23 pm
hippy wrote:
jamesh wrote:

I think you have invented that.

@lexos has written:
in my case, it is a mobile environment, with car batteries
No possibility of mains brownouts in that scenario..
I saw no mention of batteries in the OP post and I was simply going on "Is there any chance to turn this message off? I want keep the yellow lightning, but the message completely destroys the clean look of the UI".

I therefore assumed this is what he was asking and was just noting that a better PSU or cable would not of itself usually be a solution to preventing such a message.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:17 pm

Batteries, or no batteries, If your power is okay, you simply won't get a (real) under-voltage message.

But if you use old (obsolete) software, that looks at an I/O location where the brownout detector *used to be* then yes, you will get (fake) brownouts.

The new 3B+ doesn't get undervoltage info from an I/O location (GPIO input) anymore, but now uses the undervoltage detector built into the new quad power supply chip, and its now read out via a dedicated I2C channel.

jamesh

Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:34 pm

n67 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:44 pm
It is not unheard of to put a piece of tape over it (to cover up the annoying light).

Also, I take it you've never ridden a public bus in Central America...
Unlike a fridge light, when you cover it up, it does not go out, and your engine may die as a result. Same with the Pi, although replacing an SD card won't be as expensive as replacing an engine.

Closest I've been to S America is Mexico, and not on a bus.

Although what that has to do with someone ignoring an important error message is beyond me.

Ernst

Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:11 pm

lexos wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:39 pm
Is there any chance to turn this message off? I want keep the yellow lightning, but the message completely destroys the clean look of the UI, because I did not find out how to hide it. It overrides the frame buffer.
I fully understand your problem and I agree with you, this needs to be fixed.
My first computer was an ICT1500, my first "personal" computer was the Science of Cambridge Mk14, followed by a TRS-80 Model I later

n67

Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:56 pm

X
Last edited by n67 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeterO

Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:17 pm

n67 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:56 pm
As I've posted elsewhere, I have perfectly good power supplies, but I still get lightning bolts from time to time
By definition you can't have "perfectly good power supplies" if you are seeing lightning bolts. How hard it that to understand ?

What you have are "acceptable power supplies" because you have decided that getting occasional low voltage warnings is OK. Others may not agree :roll:

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),Aeromodelling,1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

rpdom

Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:42 pm

jamesh wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:34 pm
Unlike a fridge light, when you cover it up, it does not go out, and your engine may die as a result. Same with the Pi, although replacing an SD card won't be as expensive as replacing an engine.
Not disagreeing with you at all.

The engine warning light on my car has been on and off for over a year now. I have got the equipment to turn it off. I have a good idea what the problem is and it's not critical, just will take some tracking down to fix - I have some new parts I'm going to try and fit this week. Normally the light should not be ignored.
Closest I've been to S America is Mexico, and not on a bus.
How about central Essex? I've been on some local buses which have had the warning light on. Some kept shutting down and the driver had to wait a while to restart them. On one occasion the engine stopped dead on a wet road and the bus slid to a halt. Certainly sub-optimal, even dangerous, and why you shouldn't ignore those warning lights. This goes for the Pi as well as vehicles.

jamesh

Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:30 am

I have a pi 3 B+ with the LCD panel attached to it on my desk and am using the pi power supply. No lightning icon no warnings in the log. Get decent power, and all the problems go away.

Ernst

Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:52 pm

jamesh wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:30 am
I have a pi 3 B+ with the LCD panel attached to it on my desk and am using the pi power supply. No lightning icon no warnings in the log. Get decent power, and all the problems go away.
The last few days I have had the impression that there is a lack of understanding and severe resistance to accept reality by some of the participants.

There is no objection to the lightning icon, there is no objection to an entry in the log.

This is the problem:
I would like to point out that the Pi Power Supply is no guarantee for decent power, there are many factors that influence the "decency" (=reliability, quality) of the power supply to the Raspberry.

Disclaimer: I assume that the OP is correct with his observation as I do not have any system to reproduce problem.
My first computer was an ICT1500, my first "personal" computer was the Science of Cambridge Mk14, followed by a TRS-80 Model I later

Return to “Raspbian”