Wicket

Theme and Appearance Settings not working as expected...

Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:26 pm

Hi All!

Hope you're feeling good!

I'm very happy with Raspbian Pixel apart from how the Theme and Appearance Settings work. I've noticed the default Themes have corresponding Openbox Themes in the Window Border tab. But every GTK3 Theme I've used doesn't extend to every WIndow or the Task Bar as there is no corresponding/matching Openbox Theme available in the Window Border tab. Trying to find a separate Openbox Theme to match a GTK3 Theme is near impossible! I'm struggling to find a complete solution out there, as I even searched for the default PiX Theme just to see if there was a website with other Themes which include a corresponding Openbox Theme, but no luck. Or am I looking at this the wrong way?

Should you want to change your Desktop Wallpaper and click Appearance Settings, any downloaded Openbox Theme you've set gets swapped back to the default PiX. Do I need to use a sudo command to stop this happening?

Also it seems the GTK3 Theme masking of a window (for example if it has rounded corners) doesn't appear to work (no transparency). Am I missing any dependencies? Or is there another way I can fix this?

Your help is much appreciated!

fruitoftheloom

Re: Theme and Appearance Settings not working as expected...

Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:49 pm

Wicket wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:26 pm
Hi All!

Hope you're feeling good!

I'm very happy with Raspbian Pixel apart from how the Theme and Appearance Settings work. I've noticed the default Themes have corresponding Openbox Themes in the Window Border tab. But every GTK3 Theme I've used doesn't extend to every WIndow or the Task Bar as there is no corresponding/matching Openbox Theme available in the Window Border tab. Trying to find a separate Openbox Theme to match a GTK3 Theme is near impossible! I'm struggling to find a complete solution out there, as I even searched for the default PiX Theme just to see if there was a website with other Themes which include a corresponding Openbox Theme, but no luck. Or am I looking at this the wrong way?

Should you want to change your Desktop Wallpaper and click Appearance Settings, any downloaded Openbox Theme you've set gets swapped back to the default PiX. Do I need to use a sudo command to stop this happening?

Also it seems the GTK3 Theme masking of a window (for example if it has rounded corners) doesn't appear to work (no transparency). Am I missing any dependencies? Or is there another way I can fix this?

Your help is much appreciated!

What is Raspbian Pixel ???
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

Wicket

Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:50 pm

Sorry, you are correct. I meant Raspbian Stretch being the latest version as of this date.

Wicket

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:11 am

Hi again

I tried Compton which made various windows translucent, but did not take effect on the masking issue as stated previously.

I even begrudgedly tried different OS in the form of Fedora Arm and Ubuntu Mate. Neither one, apart from using their own system default examples responded well to downloaded Theme content either. To be fair I prefer Raspbian as I'm more at home with it, and it did fair a bit better despite the aforementioned issues.

So I'm still at a loss.

Is there anyone one out there that can help please?
Last edited by Wicket on Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

treeHouse

Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:01 am

Raspbian has a carefully planned and designed custom interface, which is why the normal openbox stuff might not work as expected. As for the mixing of openbox and GTK3, I don't think they are theme compatible. GTK2 themes might give you better results.

If you want to customize try installing the UI from scratch as per this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=133691

It starts with headless Raspbian, and you add what you want. I ran like this for the longest time with Jessie + XFCE, though with stretch I've stayed with Raspbian defaults. XFCE uses any GTK2 theme, iirc.

I'm speaking off the cuff here, so take this with a grain of salt -- and happy exploring!

Wicket

Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:05 pm

Hi treehouse

Thanks for your advice, its much appreciated.

I spent several days (lost to my loved ones!) tinkering with xFCE Desktop Environment. On the plus side I did get much better, more consistent results with custom themed windows and the interface. It was rather addictive!

But very quickly I realized just how cut back xFCE really is. Things I took for granted in more curated/populated OSes weren't there (I do understand that's actually the point). For me at least though, I'm more accustomed to all the peripheral parts like Bluetooth, WiFi, Finder Manager, Archive/Unarchiver and so on, already being there. Yes I could perhaps set these up in time, but it then becomes frustrating when there is so much to set up before xFCE becomes useful to me in a more global way. Perhaps xFCE is not a good fit for me?

I'm also a bit baffled about the software support for xFCE, in fact all other ARM OSes too in general. At least with Raspbian, if there is a version for it, it usually works. But I couldn't say the same for other OSes I've tried.

I've not given up on xFCE though. I still have it on a separate SD card, and on occasion if I feel the need I will return to it as I'm still curious about it.

So I'm back to Raspbian with its warts and all. In doing so, I found another issue concerning the Icon Theme tab in Theme and Appearance Settings. Having downloaded several compatible Icon Themes still compressed (as the Icon Theme tab Install requires it) installation starts but then just gives up with .tar.gz. With tar.bz2 nothing happens. Any ideas for a workaround please?

By the way it seems GTK3 is more compatible or I haven't found a GTK2 that works yet. I have found a few that work quite well without those issues I mentioned before. I've also managed to understand how the Window Border tab in Theme and Appearance Settings works, and hence have found a few Openbox Themes that kind of match the GTK3 Theme. Its all so hit and miss at the moment, I just hope it improves in time as I'm sure it will.

When changing the Desktop Wallpaper the aforementioned bug still happens. I haven't tried SSH route yet, but I suspect it may provide a work around?

Thanks for reading. Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Wicket

Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:12 am

Hi again

I made some progress last night/this morning with the Icon Theme tab issue. I eventually compared the directory structure of the default Icon Themes, and found a few downloaded incompatible Icon Themes that weren't set up properly (or at least for Icon Themes in Raspbian). After making some directory changes/deletions, matching the default Icon Themes in Raspbian, I simply moved the downloaded Icon Themes in to usr/share/themes and some actually worked.

The above took me a long time, so I've yet to SSH wallpaper setup on the Desktop as another potential workaround to the other issue. If someone has already done that, please let me know.

Thanks.

Return to “Raspbian”