Geeky_Tim

More frequent updates?

Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:32 pm

After writing a new SD card I always run an update. The latest Raspbian image was in September, and the update is taking a long time (hardwired, 70MBps internet download speed - not slow!) on a Pi 2.

Could we have a new Raspbian image on the site say, every week with the latest updates? Surely this could be automated? I know you usually leave it for major updates, but maybe have a 'confirmed' update and a 'latest' update could work?

Just a thought for Simon Long...

GeekyTim 'PiWars/CamJam'

DougieLawson

Re: More frequent updates?

Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:02 am

How about posting a stupid poll asking whether stupid polls should be disabled on this forum. (That can be done in the phpBB3 admin panels.)
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

gkaiseril

Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:34 am

There are many people and other organizations that are updating code everyday or couple of days as needed. The option of updating the repositories once a week, means a critical update could be delayed up to 7 days or more. If there is an error or bug in an update, then it could take a week or more to get the fix for the update out.

How do you propose to handle module updates that may apply to one or more updated packages but are not included within the package?

Do you want to take on the job of accumulating all the updates between the scheduled updates and making sure there have been no updates to the updates?

Do we want Unix/Linux/Debien to become a Windoze clone or a MicroShaft ripoff?

Microsoft Windows updates on a quarterly basis and does not check installed packages/applications not provided by Microsoft.

I use Bittorrent to download the image. I also keep a list of the major packages the I install and use Synaptic to pickup and dependent modules that are updated but not part a specific package.

asandford

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:42 am

gkaiseril wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:34 am
Microsoft Windows updates on a quarterly basis and does not check installed packages/applications not provided by Microsoft.
It updates a lot more frequently than that (depending on OS and settings).

And it does include non-MS updates.

Imperf3kt

Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:45 am

I for one, would NOT want to download ~1.4GB and wait an hour while writing it to mSD card every time I wanted to do an apt-get update / upgrade, which normally only grabs a few MB and sometimes deletes stuff and takes 10 minutes max.

Between the three uSD cards I test various settings between, I'd have to wait at least three hours for updates, just to install.

This idea is silly.
Pi3b - 'normal use' temperature (25% CPU load) 76℃, ambient 21℃

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:20 am

I wouldn't be comfortable with a completely automated release. In the weeks leading up to a release, when the image is tested, a significant number of issues is typically ironed out.

bensimmo

Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:19 am

One alternative
Once you make your image and update it, copy it to another SD card.
Then when it comes to making images just update it and copy it.

jamesh

Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:46 am

Geeky_Tim wrote:
After writing a new SD card I always run an update. The latest Raspbian image was in September, and the update is taking a long time (hardwired, 70MBps internet download speed - not slow!) on a Pi 2.

Could we have a new Raspbian image on the site say, every week with the latest updates? Surely this could be automated? I know you usually leave it for major updates, but maybe have a 'confirmed' update and a 'latest' update could work?

Just a thought for Simon Long...

GeekyTim 'PiWars/CamJam'
We'd just spend all our time getting the next release ready, and not putting any new stuff in the release...
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

PeterO

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:02 am

Geeky_Tim wrote:
Keep a "master" SD card which is kept updated, then just clone that each time you need a new one.

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),Aeromodelling,1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

HawaiianPi

Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:03 pm

PeterO wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:02 am
Keep a "master" SD card which is kept updated, then just clone that each time you need a new one.

PeterO
Yup, this ^ even if you don't keep it fully up to date, you'll at least eliminate the initial large update/upgrade cycle.

Faster SD cards also help speed up the upgrade process.
My password is the last 8 digits of Pi.

Return to “Raspbian”