lucasmun09

Portable Screen Displays for Raspberry Pi (Nintendo Ds/Dsi)

Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:32 pm

So Hello!
I came up with a very interesting topic and had no luck finding any similar posts.

What if I connected my broken Nintendo DSI's touchscreen or the top screen to the Raspberry Pi? Is that possible? I really would love to use my broken DSI's screens.

Secondly, I also have one of thoughs Nook Simple Touch E-Reader. I seen some one make a screen out of kindle but is it possible do it to this one also? Thanks!

tummychow

Re: Portable Screen Displays for Raspberry Pi (Nintendo Ds/D

Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:17 am

DSi touchscreens are 4-wire resistive, last I checked, which means they're analog devices. You need an ADC to read them, which the Pi doesn't have built in, but you can easily go and get such a chip and wire up the screen, or you can buy an IC that controls the touchscreen over a standard microcontroller bus (eg i2c).

As for the actual screen, that depends intimately on the screen's controller chips (if any) and the bus it uses for communication. You'll need a lot of information on that to make it work with a raspberry pi so get cracking on the research =P It's theoretically possible, but the Pi might not have enough pins if the bus has a lot of parallel data lines.

lucasmun09

Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:27 pm

Thanks! But has anyone actually tried this? I just decided to get Lapdock for Atrix 4g instead of going through all of thoughs troubles that you stated. But still, Dsi touch screen is still very tempting.. :D

chairsgotoschool

Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:54 am

i saw a video of a guy that had a touch (panel i guess) that he had not yet attached to his screen but had it all wired up and it worked, im pretty sure it was like a ds touch screen, just had a 4 connection ribbon cable. i was wondering this too, i have a dsi laying around (top screens gone) as for the screen i believe the dsi screen is 3.25" so try and fine one similar, i don't think having a 3.5" will be a big problem

lucasmun09

Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:28 pm

Well, that would be convenient but I really want to make use of the broken dsi :D Has anyone else tried this and confirmed it yet?

tummychow

Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:38 am

Have you looked? the touchscreen is 4 wire resistive, all such devices basically work the same way. there are plenty of examples of it in this very forum. Just search for TSC2007 and you'll already find one example of a guy who uses it as a mouse device (with an appropriate controller chip which you will need to acquire. again, you cannot plug the screen straight into the pi, because it is an analog device).

lucasmun09

Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:55 am

How about through the GPIO ports? Is it possible?

tummychow

Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:14 am

Did you look for the guy who's using the TSC2007? you wire it up to the i2c bus and boom touchscreen functionality. His post includes a driver that you can compile to set it up as a mouse device. I'm not going to give you the answer on a silver platter (in part because I'm still working on it myself) but the tools are all right here in this forum if you want them.

Again, you cannot connect the touchscreen lines directly to the Pi GPIOs, because the touchscreen is an analog device.

lucasmun09

Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:12 am

How about E-Reader? I seen someone do it with kindle. Has anyone done it with the nook Simple touch?

Raspberrypiglitch

Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:49 am

Can you do with any Nintendo ds screen?
:D

munchluxe63

Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:48 am

You won't be able to use a DS screen at all (they're specially designed for the DS, have a weird resolution and cannot support analogue composite input without a conversion board).

However, you can get away with using a stock LCD and driver board, the kind they usually put into rear-view camera displays. I've got mine coming in (for a SEGA Nomad TFT screen mod actually, but I'll hook it up to my Pi nonetheless) soon from aliexpress (although if you can find one elsewhere or use the faster shipping, I advise you to as the shipping isn't so great).

You can use pretty much any size screen, granted it supports composite input, but this is what I'm getting and it's probably the cheapest you'll get them right now, unless you live in China and can order from Taobao.

I'm certain this same screen has been used for a Pi-in-a-GameBoy mod.

The driver board is necessary. You'll need to power it as well and connect the composite connection. There are usually some button controls to change the brightness or turn off the screen. You won't be able to get HDMI output on one of these screens unless you buy something expensive, or buy one of the more expensive screens with VGA input and use an adapter.

I don't know what size screen you need, but even something like this might work.

Edit:
If you don't mind spending $60-90, some of these look nice and support HDMI:
8" with HDMI/AV/VGA
8" with AV/VGA
Another 8" with HDMI/AV/VGA

Search around eBay for things like "hdmi lcd panel" and see what you can find, there are also some 6" LCDs with HDMI inputs and there's this monster of a driver board that supports a LOT of LCD panels.

Good luck!

Return to “Other projects”