moomba

Remote display with xpra, NX equivalent

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:54 pm

Hi,

I just wanted to share something I think useful for the raspberry. I was looking for NX session on my raspberry, however I found it was extremely difficult (impossible) to use NX Free Server.
After a time, I found a cool tool, called xpra. It is an equivalent to "screen" for X11. You can launch program using X11 forwarding, then disconnect without killing the program, and reconnect after (like running a browser, launching a download, disconnect and reconnect after to check if finished).

The xpra on raspbian repository doesn't work, so I tried the fork from http://xpra.org/.
Because my SD card is only 2GB, I deactivated the x264 and VPX, not adapted to the raspberry anyway (edit values in setup.py, at the end of the file).

After installed, I can control my X applications on the raspberry from an ubuntu 12.04 without any problems. It's also fluent, no lags (I didn't used any compression to let the Arm breath).

Hope it will help someone :)

Cheers !

Moomba

moomba

Re: Remote display with xpra, NX equivalent

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:02 am

For thoose who want to try :

Open Terminal, past :

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get udpate
sudo apt-get install libx11-dev libxtst-dev libxcomposite-dev libxdamage-dev python-all-dev python-gobject-dev python-gtk2-dev cython xvfb xauth x11-xkb-utils
Then download xpra, 3.5 :

wget http://xpra.org/src/xpra-0.3.5.tar.bz2
Exctract :

tar xjf xpra-0.3.5.tar.bz2
cd xpra-0.3.5
If you don't want video compression (for ex 2Gb sd card), edit setup.py and change the folowing lines :
x264_ENABLED = True x to 264_ENABLED = False
and vpx_ENABLED = True to vpx_ENABLED = False
(at the end of the file)

Compil :

rm -rf build install
sudo CFLAGS=-O0 python setup.py install
Do the same on the client, if linux. If windows, see here : http://xpra.org/dev.html

When done, on the client side, connect with ssh to the server, and try :

xpra start :100
DISPLAY=:100 lxterminal &
Disconnect from the server, open a terminal on the client :

xpra attach ssh:[email protected]:100
If the lxterminal display, it's done.
Ctrl+C to unattach. If you want to stop xpra server, connect with ssh on the server ant use :

xpra stop :100
Good luck.

Corpsman

Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:18 pm

Hello,

I tried your steps, and i could not compile xpra. By using version 0.7.2 and disabling the two video options, the install skript runs through.

But unfortunatunelly when i type : xpra start :100 it can not create a screen ( as you can see in my attechment )

can anybody give me a hint or some help to get xpra finally working on my pi ?

sincerely

Corpsman
Attachments
raspberrypi-100.log.zip
Xpra Log file
(1.14 KiB) Downloaded 108 times

scruss

Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:21 pm

If anyone's searching here on how to use xpra with their Raspberry Pi, the version in the current Raspbian repo works just fine. Not fast, but fine…
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

Return to “Other projects”