Bargepole

WWhat is "...the sticky posts "

Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:23 pm

I see in the Post for new members that the text appears "please read the sticky posts in beginners"

What is a "sticky post"?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: WWhat is "...the sticky posts "

Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:40 pm

The ones 'stuck' to the top of the first page in each forum. So they are also there for easy access.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Bargepole

Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:54 pm

Thanks for the info.
.....um , why not write that then ;-)

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:01 pm

Bargepole wrote:Thanks for the info.
Well, at least in the "basic forum theme" (don't know about the "Prosilver theme"), they do have a blue "Sticky" label next to them. :D
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

macbreak

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:03 pm

Personally, I find that the term "sticky posts" doesn't in any way, bring to mind the real-world "Post it" notes, upon which it is evidently supposed to be based.

As with most things in the digital realm, you'll find that it's a term or idea which was thought up by a small group or an individual, wasn't subjected to wider opinion or interpretation studies, and was then applied to the software without further question or thought, and that software then becomes adopted en masse, and noone ever thinks to challenge the poorly conceived idea, because they say "but that's how it's always been done".

I'd have to say that I feel the term "pinned posts" is a FAR stronger and more easily understood term, and clarifies the intent of the items to which it is applied, in a far more easily understood manner.

PeterO

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:21 pm

Bargepole wrote:I see in the Post for new members that the text appears "please read the sticky posts in beginners"

What is a "sticky post"?
This whole thread could have been avoided by the simple use of google by Bargepole..... Searching for "Forum sticky", First hit is Answers.com which has this to say .....

Code: Select all

A "sticky" thread is one that is placed permanently at the top of a forum / category. Even if no one posts in it, it will still show up on the first page. This is often done for special announcements, rules / guidelines, and FAQs. 
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

macbreak

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:28 pm

PeterO wrote:
Bargepole wrote:I see in the Post for new members that the text appears "please read the sticky posts in beginners"

What is a "sticky post"?
This whole thread could have been avoided by the simple use of google by Bargepole..... Searching for "Forum sticky", First hit is Answers.com which has this to say .....

Code: Select all

A "sticky" thread is one that is placed permanently at the top of a forum / category. Even if no one posts in it, it will still show up on the first page. This is often done for special announcements, rules / guidelines, and FAQs. 
PeterO
Sometimes, in a cold, clinical digital world, people just want to interact with human beings, and get answers from them, especially human beings that are part of a "community" such as a forum (a concept I genuinely believe is not carried across well from real life human interaction - I doubt most people on forums know one another's real names, let alone their addresses or phone numbers. I'd be even more surprised if the majority of users have spent time in one another's physical presence, many times, and have got to know them personally, and built up trust and a bond - forums DO NOT do that)... anyway, I digress.

I think the OP just wanted a human answer, not one from a bot, and that they're trying to stimulate interaction and helpfulness; you'll often find that people test the water by asking a simple, easily resolved question, to see how helpfully the membership react, and whether the reaction was friendly or not, and that can be a deciding metric as to whether they feel they want to remain and invest time in a particular group or not - redirection to Google should not be a knee-jerk reaction, always. :)
Last edited by macbreak on Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bargepole

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:29 pm

I did try Sticky Post but only "how to's" came up. Still no harm in asking the Forum is there ?

Ravenous

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:31 pm

Bargepole wrote:I did try Sticky Post but only "how to's" came up. Still no harm in asking the Forum is there ?
Absolutely no harm at all.

Come on chaps, question's answered. Let's give the man a break? :)

macbreak

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:34 pm

Bargepole wrote:I did try Sticky Post but only "how to's" came up. Still no harm in asking the Forum is there ?
There was, and is, no harm whatsoever in asking on the forum :) - welcome to Raspberry Pi forums my friend, and I hope your stay here is helpful, educating and edifying. Do not allow the cynical, bitter minority which you will, inevitably, happen across, to put you off your choice to join up - we're all humans, perhaps they're just having an off day... (every day) ;)

God bless you, have a lovely day :)

Ravenous

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:39 pm

macbreak wrote:Do not allow the cynical, bitter minority
You mean the ones who banned you? We're not stupid, we know you used to be glossywhite. The annoying signoff is a giveaway :lol:

blachanc

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:40 pm

Sticky are not labeled in the prosilver theme.
It take some time to get used to the slang associated with forums.

I know I had to teach a bit my 12 years old.
I would need to do the same with my wife, if she wanted to get involve in a forum (but it would take longer ;) )

One of the first thing I showed to my 12 years old son was:
If you feel bad because of what someone replied to you, click on the username, check how he replies to everybody, then I said "see, that person is just like you little brother"
(see my signature)

prosilver.jpg
prosilver.jpg (49.95 KiB) Viewed 2500 times
Ben
Autism/Asperger syndrome: what is your score on this quiz?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=70191

Ravenous

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:44 pm

blachanc wrote:Sticky are not labeled in the prosilver theme.
Thanks for posting that; I wasn't aware Prosilver did that. (I use the other theme.)

abishur

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:47 pm

Bargepole wrote:Thanks for the info.
The reason we didn't use another name for it is because it's a pretty well accepted term. It's the same reason I wouldn't say "That thing what spits the fuel into the engine as a fine mist for combustion" instead of "the fuel injector" :D In theory you can visit just about any forum on the web and a "sticky" thread will be a universally recognized term.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:49 pm

Ravenous wrote:
blachanc wrote:Sticky are not labeled in the prosilver theme.
Thanks for posting that; I wasn't aware Prosilver did that. (I use the other theme.)
+1
(I did try it once, quite some time ago, and "couldn't remember" - as indicated in my earlier post)
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

jamesh

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:50 pm

And I can see this whole thread going downhill fast, so locking, as the question has been answered.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

clive
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:27 am

Just to add:

1) Permanent posts are referred to by the board software* as 'sticky' posts. It would be silly to call them anything else when radio buttons and guidance text are so labelled, just to try and address metaphor preferences.
2) Prosilver uses icons instead of text to label special posts. Sticky posts have an exclamation mark in side a lightbulb icon.

[*phpBB -- one of the longest standing and most widely used forum packages]

Return to “General discussion”