lilzz

how to implement software RAID

Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:50 am

Got corrupted sd card few times, how to implement a raid so it can self correcting therefore no need for me to 're image

mikronauts

Re: how to implement software RAID

Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:06 am

Raid only protects against storage failure, it does not inherently protect against storage being corrupted by improper shutdown.
lilzz wrote:Got corrupted sd card few times, how to implement a raid so it can self correcting therefore no need for me to 're image
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

lilzz

Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:38 am

mikronauts wrote:Raid only protects against storage failure, it does not inherently protect against storage being corrupted by improper shutdown.
lilzz wrote:Got corrupted sd card few times, how to implement a raid so it can self correcting therefore no need for me to 're image
I think it should work. Raid has a mirror section. If has trouble booting then it boot from mirror section.once booted ok, mirror section would urestore the main section. Like Windows recovery section.

stevech

Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:29 am

just remove the SD card and image copy your card every now and then using Windows or Linux. As a backup.

DougieLawson

Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:10 pm

stevech wrote:just remove the SD card and image copy your card every now and then using Windows or Linux. As a backup.
No need to remove it. With a blank card in a USB reader you can clone while you run. With 1GB of RAM I can give that process 200 or 300MB and it's lightening fast (compared to running it on my storage constrained A+).
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

LaKraven

Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:23 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
stevech wrote:just remove the SD card and image copy your card every now and then using Windows or Linux. As a backup.
No need to remove it. With a blank card in a USB reader you can clone while you run. With 1GB of RAM I can give that process 200 or 300MB and it's lightening fast (compared to running it on my storage constrained A+).
You should do a step-by-step tutorial on that one! It'd be a real crowd-pleaser :)

mikronauts

Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:40 pm

That depends on how much is in the write buffers, and if the raid software completes writes on one image before starting them on the other image.
lilzz wrote:
mikronauts wrote:Raid only protects against storage failure, it does not inherently protect against storage being corrupted by improper shutdown.
I think it should work. Raid has a mirror section. If has trouble booting then it boot from mirror section.once booted ok, mirror section would urestore the main section. Like Windows recovery section.
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

DougieLawson

Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:58 pm

LaKraven wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:
You should do a step-by-step tutorial on that one! It'd be a real crowd-pleaser :)
There's lots of scripts and stuff (lots of forum posts) for how to do that. It's trivial.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “General discussion”