metalj

8gb SD card w/ noobs for rpi2

Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:31 am

I was wondering if the official raspberry pi site was a good place to get the new card once they're finished with the new noobs or are they prone being out of stock? I'm trying not to involve other computers in this process because my laptop is on life support. Also could you recommend a SD card duplicator device so I can clone it to other cards or can I do that cheaper on a single pi2?
Backspace 28 times :)

W. H. Heydt

Re: 8gb SD card w/ noobs for rpi2

Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:43 am

Anything that can be done with a Pi will be a cheaper solution than anything that requires additional hardware. (Unless you apply a "time is money" measurement.)

If you have another Pi around, you could always use that to download NOOBS 1.3.12. Might be useful to have a USB stick (say, 16BG) mounted to hold the download and unzipped files, or some other attached mass storage (HDD, SSD, NAS, etc.).

Since NOOBS 1.3.12 was released on 2-2-2015, I don't think I'd want to trust any general retail channel to have that version ready to ship. Vendors will want to clear their existing stock before shipping the new version. For that reason alone, if I had to get a pre-loaded NOOBS card, I would got with the RPFs own store for the next several months.

If your own other system is dying, you might be able to get a friend to download and flash a card. Another route would be to go to a Jam to see if anyone there can flash a card for you.

metalj

Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:50 am

Thanks for the tips. I am new with this stuff and I didn't consider the USB port. I found a cheap USB micro SD card read write device from adafruit. http://www.adafruit.com/products/939?gc ... Ao3Y8P8HAQ

I feel like I can trust their product line.

DougieLawson

Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:38 am

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-microSDHC ... B00GNBXY80

Spend another three bucks and get a card, an adapter & a reader.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

BMS Doug

Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:45 am

I've had issues in the past with the MicroSD card - USB carrier getting very hot. I'm not saying that this will happen with the adafruit one, it was this style that had the issue for me.

Once I started using a proper microSD to USB adapter the heat issue went away. (I bought mine in Poundland).
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

metalj

Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:59 pm

I looked but found no reviews but I checked the forums and there were complaints that product 939 simply did not work for some people. Dougie does your suggested device read and write? Bmsdoug what was the product that you ended up with called?

BMS Doug

Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:03 pm

The one that Dougie linked would be fine.

I got one of this sort.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

Return to “General discussion”