otny1

What should I buy?

Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:26 am

I'm a little torn and confused currently. I want to buy a raspberry pi(mainly for the purpose of mining), but with all the options I'm confused on whether to buy several of the older ones vs. one of the newer ones. Can someone tell me what gives me the most bang for my buck with power consumption considered?

W. H. Heydt

Re: What should I buy?

Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:50 am

First off...you be better off taking your mining funds and just buying the cryptocurrency of your choice.

If you are attaching mining devices to a Pi and are just concerned about power use by the Pi, an A+ is the lowest power use (and least expensive) Pi there is. If you need Ethernet and/or multiple USB ports, then the B+ would be the cheapest to operate. If you are going to mine directly on the Pi (and, therefore, need all the processor power you can get...from a Pi), then you want the Pi2B.

But in the end, the odds are that no matter how you set things up, you're going to spend more on power than you will get back in cryptocurrency.

EtonMess

Re: What should I buy?

Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:19 am

On it's own any Raspberry Pi would be completely hopeless at cryptocurrency mining at current difficulty. Even if you could use the full power of the GPU on the PI2, and your power supply was free (ie Solar) it would still take months to generate pennies.

I use a B+ as the controller for a hardware mining ASIC, the Ethernet is required as the CGMiner software is operated through a web interface. The B+ is excellent at this job, and uses a bit less power that a Pi2 would.

A lot of new ASIC equipment has its interface controller integrated, and often it is actually a PI.

Edit: I should add that my words above apply to mainstream cryptocurrencies, there may be other ones that could be usefully mined without needing ASICs. But I don't know about those.
.G6FIR

Return to “General discussion”