mrgreaper
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:49 pm

where in the uk can you pick up a pi 2 for $35?

Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:46 pm

So Cnet did an article on the pi2 a $35 computer, awesome, they state its typical price is £22.85 (http://www.cnet.com/uk/products/raspberry-pi-2-model-b/) cool i can afford that and it looks like a fun device to mess about with.

So i go to maplins, they have them for £39.99 ! double what cnet say. I look about and sure enough in the usa they are $35 but over here the cheapest i have seen is £32 and thats before postage lol

so yeah, what uk retailer have them at a fair price (the rrp of $35 and the 20% vat is what i consider fair)

or is it a case of since their made in the usa it costs way more to ship them to the uk?

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 19781
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: where in the uk can you pick up a pi 2 for $35?

Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:52 pm

adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

User avatar
piglet
Posts: 895
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:16 pm

Re: where in the uk can you pick up a pi 2 for $35?

Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:53 pm

It's $35 + postage & packing + taxes in whatever country you're buying it.

Ravenous
Posts: 1956
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:01 pm
Location: UK

Re: where in the uk can you pick up a pi 2 for $35?

Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:55 pm

They're made in Wales! But as you rightly say, add 20% VAT. Also add postage, if buying mail order.

Third parties like Maplin can charge any price they like.

The two official distributors (fruitofthelom has linked them, above) are supposed to sell them for the equivalent of $35 (+VAT +postage) but they rarely do. Get the foundation to hassle them if they're too far overpriced.

rahlquist
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: where in the uk can you pick up a pi 2 for $35?

Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:59 pm

Ravenous wrote:They're made in Wales!

Third parties like Maplin can charge any price they like.
Thats the ironic thing. Here in the US one of our smallish PC/electronics stores Microcenter sells the for 34.99 right on the shelf. So glad they are decent enough not to gouge us.

Ravenous
Posts: 1956
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:01 pm
Location: UK

Re: where in the uk can you pick up a pi 2 for $35?

Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:01 pm

rahlquist wrote:
Ravenous wrote:They're made in Wales!

Third parties like Maplin can charge any price they like.
Thats the ironic thing. Here in the US one of our smallish PC/electronics stores Microcenter sells the for 34.99 right on the shelf. So glad they are decent enough not to gouge us.
The annoying thing is, even here in the UK the OFFICIAL DISTRIBUTORS list them for over $35... That's just how it is.

EtonMess
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:32 pm

Re: where in the uk can you pick up a pi 2 for $35?

Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:05 pm

Ravenous wrote:The annoying thing is, even here in the UK the OFFICIAL DISTRIBUTORS list them for over $35... That's just how it is.
Mine cost less than $35 at the time of purchase, including delivery, but not including VAT. From RS.
.G6FIR

User avatar
leon_heller
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 4:10 pm
Location: St. Leonards-on-Sea, E. Sussex, UK.

Re: where in the uk can you pick up a pi 2 for $35?

Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:05 pm

$35 is £22.96. RS charged me £22.85 + VAT for one with free shipping (I have a business account).
Last edited by leon_heller on Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leon Heller
G1HSM

Ravenous
Posts: 1956
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:01 pm
Location: UK

Re: where in the uk can you pick up a pi 2 for $35?

Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:07 pm

Oops! I take it back. (I was doing a conversion from Farnell's price, which was over $35 for me.)

Boy do I have a red face :oops:

mrgreaper
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:49 pm

Re: where in the uk can you pick up a pi 2 for $35?

Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:07 pm

well ordered one from cpc (linked in the first reply)
£29.93 (thats £24.94 + £4.99 vat)

so in dollars as of todays exchange rate thats:
$45.62 ($38.01 + $7.61 vat)

had i of read the reply they are made in the uk i would not of ordered, shouldnt cost more if they are shipped from the same country. I know the makers of the device dont really care how much the end user is charged so long as they get thier end but so annoying.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 19781
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: where in the uk can you pick up a pi 2 for $35?

Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:17 pm

leon_heller wrote:$35 is £22.96. RS charged me £22.85 + VAT for one with free shipping (I have a business account).
Yep I paid the same and received on Tuesday ;)
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

mrgreaper
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:49 pm

Re: where in the uk can you pick up a pi 2 for $35?

Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:20 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
leon_heller wrote:$35 is £22.96. RS charged me £22.85 + VAT for one with free shipping (I have a business account).
Yep I paid the same and received on Tuesday ;)
looks like i shouldnt of followed the first reply lol

PiGraham
Posts: 3548
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:37 pm
Location: Waterlooville

Re: where in the uk can you pick up a pi 2 for $35?

Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:26 pm

leon_heller wrote:$35 is £22.96. RS charged me £22.85 + VAT for one with free shipping (I have a business account).
Listing at 24.90 now so you got a bargain.

User avatar
leon_heller
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 4:10 pm
Location: St. Leonards-on-Sea, E. Sussex, UK.

Re: where in the uk can you pick up a pi 2 for $35?

Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:38 pm

Yes. I subsequently ordered another five and paid £24.75. I received them today.
Leon Heller
G1HSM

User avatar
mikronauts
Posts: 2705
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:28 pm
Contact: Website

Re: where in the uk can you pick up a pi 2 for $35?

Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:02 pm

VAT would be charged for all destinations within UK / EU

VAT should not be charged for shipping outside of UK / EU as it is an internal consumption tax, and UK tax code does not require collecting it. Some businesses collect it anyway, and presumably remit it to the tax people.

see VAT on exports to non-EU countries
https://www.gov.uk/vat-exports-dispatch ... ods-abroad

Canada has similar rules. When I order something from outside Cananda, I get charged 12% for government taxes, along with a $10 "customs processing fee", and a $4 "courier COD fee" for collecting the taxes.

So if I order something for $100Cdn, I end up paying $126Cdn. If it is in USD, add roughly current exchange rate + 1%-3%

When I sell something to a destination outside Canada, I do not have to collect the 12% of taxes, however Canada Post has been raising its rates like crazy, making it all but impossible to sell low cost products to the UK / EU / anywhere not in North America.
mrgreaper wrote:well ordered one from cpc (linked in the first reply)
£29.93 (thats £24.94 + £4.99 vat)

so in dollars as of todays exchange rate thats:
$45.62 ($38.01 + $7.61 vat)

had i of read the reply they are made in the uk i would not of ordered, shouldnt cost more if they are shipped from the same country. I know the makers of the device dont really care how much the end user is charged so long as they get thier end but so annoying.
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

mrgreaper
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:49 pm

Re: where in the uk can you pick up a pi 2 for $35?

Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:17 pm

mikronauts wrote:VAT would be charged for all destinations within UK / EU

VAT should not be charged for shipping outside of UK / EU as it is an internal consumption tax, and UK tax code does not require collecting it. Some businesses collect it anyway, and presumably remit it to the tax people.

see VAT on exports to non-EU countries
https://www.gov.uk/vat-exports-dispatch ... ods-abroad

Canada has similar rules. When I order something from outside Cananda, I get charged 12% for government taxes, along with a $10 "customs processing fee", and a $4 "courier COD fee" for collecting the taxes.

So if I order something for $100Cdn, I end up paying $126Cdn. If it is in USD, add roughly current exchange rate + 1%-3%

When I sell something to a destination outside Canada, I do not have to collect the 12% of taxes, however Canada Post has been raising its rates like crazy, making it all but impossible to sell low cost products to the UK / EU / anywhere not in North America.
mrgreaper wrote:well ordered one from cpc (linked in the first reply)
£29.93 (thats £24.94 + £4.99 vat)

so in dollars as of todays exchange rate thats:
$45.62 ($38.01 + $7.61 vat)

had i of read the reply they are made in the uk i would not of ordered, shouldnt cost more if they are shipped from the same country. I know the makers of the device dont really care how much the end user is charged so long as they get thier end but so annoying.
yep, only included the vat in dollars as a representation of the cost i have paid that a usa user could instantly relate (we all relate to our own currency so much easier after all) not as a suggestion that i would of had to pay vat if i was in the usa

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 22697
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: where in the uk can you pick up a pi 2 for $35?

Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:35 pm

mrgreaper wrote:well ordered one from cpc (linked in the first reply)
£29.93 (thats £24.94 + £4.99 vat)

so in dollars as of todays exchange rate thats:
$45.62 ($38.01 + $7.61 vat)

had i of read the reply they are made in the uk i would not of ordered, shouldnt cost more if they are shipped from the same country. I know the makers of the device dont really care how much the end user is charged so long as they get thier end but so annoying.
Actually, that's not the case. The Foundation DO care that the price is a close to the $35 as possible - that part of the licensing agreement with the distributors. Note, distributors - that's RS and Farnell. Others can add any markup they like, but getting from RS/Farnell should be close to $35+VAT+postage, which should keep the third party prices sane. Please take in to account fluctuating exchange rates, which usually mean its not exactly $35. Also, take in to account that postage is NEVER free - that is absorbed in to the price somewhere, so always compare the price to get it you your door.

I have no idea why Maplin think they can charge so much., but they buy from RS/Farnel, and add on whatever they think the market can bear. I suspect they do that for most products.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

jarrah31
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:16 am

Re: where in the uk can you pick up a pi 2 for $35?

Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:25 am

jamesh wrote:
mrgreaper wrote:well ordered one from cpc (linked in the first reply)
£29.93 (thats £24.94 + £4.99 vat)

so in dollars as of todays exchange rate thats:
$45.62 ($38.01 + $7.61 vat)

had i of read the reply they are made in the uk i would not of ordered, shouldnt cost more if they are shipped from the same country. I know the makers of the device dont really care how much the end user is charged so long as they get thier end but so annoying.
Actually, that's not the case. The Foundation DO care that the price is a close to the $35 as possible - that part of the licensing agreement with the distributors. Note, distributors - that's RS and Farnell. Others can add any markup they like, but getting from RS/Farnell should be close to $35+VAT+postage, which should keep the third party prices sane. Please take in to account fluctuating exchange rates, which usually mean its not exactly $35. Also, take in to account that postage is NEVER free - that is absorbed in to the price somewhere, so always compare the price to get it you your door.

I have no idea why Maplin think they can charge so much., but they buy from RS/Farnel, and add on whatever they think the market can bear. I suspect they do that for most products.
Hmm, I wonder why RS now charge £24.90 then? I bought mine from RS for £22.85 (plus vat) on launch day, so they've put prices up since.

EtonMess
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:32 pm

Re: where in the uk can you pick up a pi 2 for $35?

Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:11 am

jarrah31 wrote: Hmm, I wonder why RS now charge £24.90 then? I bought mine from RS for £22.85 (plus vat) on launch day, so they've put prices up since.
On launch day RS made a bit of an error.
They priced £22.85+VAT with free next day delivery, I got in early and bought at this price. But I think it was a mistake by RS.

Especially as some media sources had broken the 9AM embargo, and some resourceful folk had managed to find the RS Pi2 url and start ordering (I ordered at 0755). RS weren't completely ready at that point, but the horse had bolted.

Later they sent a second confirmation email, with £4.95 delivery charge added on. However, this extra charge had not been authorised on the credit card purchase at the time of sale, so they had to withdraw it. I know that a lot of people were affected, many of them had got after RS to complain.

So, I am guessing that at £22.85 with free next day delivery RS were selling at a loss. The new price is to maintain the free delivery that the early buyers got, but cover the cost. Plus it closer matches to the CPC/Farnell price.

I have since ordered another at the higher price, and I am quite happy with that because I think it is more than worth it.
.G6FIR

jarrah31
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:16 am

Re: where in the uk can you pick up a pi 2 for $35?

Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:32 pm

Interesting, thanks for the useful explanation - lucky me then! (ordered around 11am with free delivery)

Return to “General discussion”