aniket222
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:49 pm

8 GB SD card space reduced to 2GB OS installtation

Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:07 pm

Hi Everyone,
It is the first time i am using a raspberry pi, the model i am using is B and i have a little knowledge about it. To start with i burned the raspbian OS img file on my 8GB SD card with the help of Win32DiskImager for windows OS. All the process went successfully then i powered up my raspberry pi with the SD card inserted having the OS in it, the installation of the OS started automatically and all went well.
But now when i insert the SD card into my laptop is shows only 2GB of space but it is a 8GB SD card. I did this whole process again but with the same result.
So i am left with no space to install apache and php on that SD card both of which i require for my web interface on the raspberry pi.
Please help me with a solution

Regards,
Aniket More.

User avatar
abishur
Posts: 4477
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 am
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: 8 GB SD card space reduced to 2GB OS installtation

Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:53 pm

When you write the OS image with win32diskimager it creates an exact(ish) replica of the card it was imaged from. We wanted to have the maximum number of compatible cards so we use the smallest amount of space available to make this image.

Or, long story short, there's nothing wrong with your card! :-)

When you first boot your pi after installing the image you'll get an configuration menu and one of the options in it is to "Expand Root File System" select this and after the next reboot it will expand the card size to use all 8GB of your card.

Alternatively, if you're using this headless, you can SSH into the pi and run "sudo raspi-config" and it will pull up the configuration menu
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

prabhat228
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:06 am

Re: 8 GB SD card space reduced to 2GB OS installtation

Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:10 am

I work with aniket more. We forgot to mention that we installed weezy through NOOBS. Expand filesystem gives us a dialogue box saying " your partition layout is not currently supported by this tool. You are probably using NOOBS, in which cae your root filesystem is already expanded anyway"

any help will be appreciated :)

aniket222
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:49 pm

Re: 8 GB SD card space reduced to 2GB OS installtation

Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:40 pm

Hi Abishur,
Thanks for your prompt reply and the solution worked.


Regards,
Aniket.

Gary Littlemore
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:52 am
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: 8 GB SD card space reduced to 2GB OS installtation

Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:30 pm

I've got this issue the a 32gb card only showing 3.9gb installed with NOOBS, how do I expand to the full 32gb?
3b+, 2b, b+, b, Zero & Zero-W

User avatar
abishur
Posts: 4477
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 am
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: 8 GB SD card space reduced to 2GB OS installtation

Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:35 pm

Gary Littlemore wrote:I've got this issue the a 32gb card only showing 3.9gb installed with NOOBS, how do I expand to the full 32gb?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... ad#p686666 ;-)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Gary Littlemore
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:52 am
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: 8 GB SD card space reduced to 2GB OS installtation

Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:40 pm

abishur wrote:
Gary Littlemore wrote:I've got this issue the a 32gb card only showing 3.9gb installed with NOOBS, how do I expand to the full 32gb?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... ad#p686666 ;-)
Abishur, I done sudo raspi-config and expand filesystem but it says NOOBS will be the full size of the card, but it's not?
Last edited by Gary Littlemore on Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
3b+, 2b, b+, b, Zero & Zero-W

User avatar
abishur
Posts: 4477
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 am
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: 8 GB SD card space reduced to 2GB OS installtation

Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:52 pm

Gary Littlemore wrote:Abishur, I don't sudo raspi-config and expand filesystem
Then do :-)
but it says NOOBS with be the full size of the card, but it's not?
Well, you're the second person I've seen with this problem so either there is an issue with noobs expanding with the larger SD card, an issue with noobs expanding with the new version of the Pi, or user error (no offense it's just a possibility). I'll ask around to see if there's a noobs problem, but in the mean time just do sudo raspi-config and your problem will be instantly solved.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

User avatar
abishur
Posts: 4477
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 am
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: 8 GB SD card space reduced to 2GB OS installtation

Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:46 pm

bertwert wrote:Abishur,
When you try expand the filesystem after Rasbian is installed through NOOBS, it says the filesystem is already expanded.
It should only say that provided it has, in fact, expanded the file system. Since the problem is that noobs has not expanded the file system (due to one of the three issues I previously mentioned) then choosing to expanded it after installing Raspbian through noobs shouldn't create any problems. :-)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

DirkS
Posts: 10390
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: 8 GB SD card space reduced to 2GB OS installtation

Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:40 pm

abishur wrote:
bertwert wrote:Abishur,
When you try expand the filesystem after Rasbian is installed through NOOBS, it says the filesystem is already expanded.
It should only say that provided it has, in fact, expanded the file system. Since the problem is that noobs has not expanded the file system (due to one of the three issues I previously mentioned) then choosing to expanded it after installing Raspbian through noobs shouldn't create any problems. :-)
raspi-config expansion refuses to do anything on NOOBS cards. So your are correct, it will not do any harm... ;)

User avatar
abishur
Posts: 4477
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 am
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: 8 GB SD card space reduced to 2GB OS installtation

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:19 pm

DirkS wrote:raspi-config expansion refuses to do anything on NOOBS cards. So your are correct, it will not do any harm... ;)
Well... you're kinda mixing up what's going on (You're taking an effect and mistaking it for a cause).

Part of the Noobs script is to expand the file system in the same manner as raspi-config does. Both of these methods look for the total space available on the card (I believe by looking at the number of blocks on the card, but I might be mistaken about that) and, provided that the used space does not already equal the total space it expands the file system to make use of the whole card.

Therefore provided that NOOBs expanded the file system correctly then when you run raspi-config and select "expand file system" it will see that it is already using all the available space on the card and exit without changing the file system. So it's not that raspi-config refuses to do anything on NOOBs, it's that the expand file system in raspi-config has already been executed.

Now in the poster's issue the file system is not expanded yet. So when they run the expand file system from raspi-config it will see that the available space is greater than the partitioned space and expand the file system, because the script being executed doesn't give a rodent's raw rump that NOOBs was used to install the OS, it only care about whether or not the file system is using all the space.

Cue the "The More you Know" star.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

User avatar
abishur
Posts: 4477
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 am
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: 8 GB SD card space reduced to 2GB OS installtation

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:23 pm

Gary Littlemore wrote:
abishur wrote:
Gary Littlemore wrote:I've got this issue the a 32gb card only showing 3.9gb installed with NOOBS, how do I expand to the full 32gb?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... ad#p686666 ;-)
Abishur, I done sudo raspi-config and expand filesystem but it says NOOBS with be the full size of the card, but it's not?
I asked the other mods about this issue and after testing it out themselves report that NOOBs is resizing properly on the Piv2. They did note, however, that on the Pis prior to the B+ you knew that the file system was being expanded because the green activity light would blink during the processes, and that process could take some time with an SD card as large as you're using. Are you certain you allowed the script to finish prior to unplugging your pi or did it appear frozen and you pulled the plug?
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Gary Littlemore
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:52 am
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: 8 GB SD card space reduced to 2GB OS installtation

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:27 pm

Abishur,

I understand what you're saying it 'should' do, but it's not expanding the file system partition to incorporate the given free space.

Regards

Gary
3b+, 2b, b+, b, Zero & Zero-W

DirkS
Posts: 10390
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: 8 GB SD card space reduced to 2GB OS installtation

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:55 pm

abishur wrote:Therefore provided that NOOBs expanded the file system correctly then when you run raspi-config and select "expand file system" it will see that it is already using all the available space on the card and exit without changing the file system. So it's not that raspi-config refuses to do anything on NOOBs, it's that the expand file system in raspi-config has already been executed.
:?:

Code: Select all

do_expand_rootfs() {
 # some code left out here

  # NOTE: the NOOBS partition layout confuses parted. For now, let's only
  # agree to work with a sufficiently simple partition layout
  if [ "$PART_NUM" -ne 2 ]; then
    whiptail --msgbox "Your partition layout is not currently supported by this tool. You are probably using NOOBS, in which case your root filesystem is already expanded anyway." 20 60 2
    return 0
  fi

User avatar
abishur
Posts: 4477
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 am
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: 8 GB SD card space reduced to 2GB OS installtation

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:56 pm

Gary Littlemore wrote:Abishur,

I understand what you're saying it 'should' do, but it's not expanding the file system partition to incorporate the given free space.

Regards

Gary
Have you tried doing the expand file system from raspi-config? Can you detail the behavior it exhibits after you ask it to expand the file system?
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Gary Littlemore
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:52 am
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: 8 GB SD card space reduced to 2GB OS installtation

Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:13 am

abishur wrote:
Gary Littlemore wrote:Abishur,

I understand what you're saying it 'should' do, but it's not expanding the file system partition to incorporate the given free space.

Regards

Gary
Have you tried doing the expand file system from raspi-config? Can you detail the behavior it exhibits after you ask it to expand the file system?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 31#p692231
3b+, 2b, b+, b, Zero & Zero-W

User avatar
RaTTuS
Posts: 10565
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 am
Location: North West UK
Contact: Twitter YouTube

Re: 8 GB SD card space reduced to 2GB OS installtation

Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:15 am

personally I'd write a new raspbain image to the Sdcard and run with that .. but that's just me ;)
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

User avatar
B.Goode
Posts: 10409
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: 8 GB SD card space reduced to 2GB OS installtation

Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:08 pm

If @Gary Littlemore still wants to pursue this, could he please run the command

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk -l
(either from the shell prompt after login, or from LXterminal), and 'cut and paste' the results back here - about 10-12 lines.

(That's 'minus ell' at the end of the command, to get it to list the partitions on the storage medium.)

I think we are all working on the basis of what 'should' happen, but maybe we need to query the actual behaviour of Gary's 32Gig card? (Not 8G as in the topic heading, as the thread was subsequently 'highjacked'.)

Gary Littlemore
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:52 am
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: 8 GB SD card space reduced to 2GB OS installtation

Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:38 pm

RaTTuS wrote:personally I'd write a new raspbain image to the Sdcard and run with that .. but that's just me ;)
That's what I did in the end.
3b+, 2b, b+, b, Zero & Zero-W

User avatar
abishur
Posts: 4477
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 am
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: 8 GB SD card space reduced to 2GB OS installtation

Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:45 pm

Gary Littlemore wrote:
RaTTuS wrote:personally I'd write a new raspbain image to the Sdcard and run with that .. but that's just me ;)
That's what I did in the end.
So after re-doing it did it show the full 32GB?
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Gary Littlemore
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:52 am
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: 8 GB SD card space reduced to 2GB OS installtation

Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:26 pm

I didn't use NOOBS and it expanded without any issues.
3b+, 2b, b+, b, Zero & Zero-W

Return to “General discussion”